Author Topic: rifts non clarity  (Read 2873 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
Re: rifts non clarity
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »
Hare, you were telling me about the HDMI thing the other day :rock Could you go back over the HOW TO DO IT AGAIN? :uhoh :pray I remember Nvidia control panel being port sensitive or something like that...but that's as far as memory goes :bolt:

Unplug your rift, plug in a hdmi display.
The brilliance and hue sliders can then be adjusted. Then replug rift and see how you changed it. Its hit and miss, back and forth till u find what u want.

Rift will not show as a display, this why the dance. But these 2 options are port specific and stick after display is removed????????
I got virtual desktop installed, will play tonight
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 04:26:23 PM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 02:33:56 PM »
Stay away from Virtual Desktop.

Super resource hog by the time u get it set up.

ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 03:12:54 PM »
I just got the Rift and I love it.  Many reviews mention the lack of great clarity, but it is the environment and objects that are amazing to me.  I am definitely impressed with it.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 01:15:05 PM »
Yep! Your eyes do get use to some of the clarity issues. The emersion tends to make up for the rest :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 11:32:05 AM »
N95KF posted these setting and they really helped.
If you have the horsepower, goto Nvidia Display Control Panel.  I have a GTX 1080 and am able to crank up the following settings and stikk keep 90FPS with Oculus:
You have to select AA overide mode to open this next setting
AA: Override application - 8x
Anisotropic Filtering - Override App - 16x
FXAA - On
Power - Prefer High Performance

I would also add the rift is very sensitive to the up and down position on your face.

Thanks so much on this.
Tried it ( also GTX 1080 here ) works perfect and its like  a major update. Seeing cons far beyond icon range and no noticeable drop in FR.
Great find!

:rock :salute
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 01:39:21 AM »
made my first mod. Added a foam extender to faceplate ring in order to push it farther away. Manually playing with HMD positioning lead to this. pushed it away about 1/4 - 3/8"

Discovered some things.

Plug in an HDMI display into port where the RIFT will be plugged. Go to Nvidia control panel set brilliance and HUE to desired levels. In my case 59 and 7. Gets some color added without god rays. This is a dance till you discover your needs.

Occulus tray tool at SS 1.3 with ASW auto. Do this in aces high profile and overall settings. You can use the performance hud and see what damage the SS is doing to framerates and performance % overhead, frames lost. This important, if SS to high for pc rig you will start dropping frames, very bad. The asw is inactive till frame rate losses, then activates during issues, debatable if helpful.

After entering game, turn off all other displays, only RIFT. Just be sure that you expand the window of game on display all way. Otherwise the mouse might wonder out of window and become non responsive. Also minimize tool app and occ home cuz the mouse would become unresponsive if activated and......

Now setting the video settings thru the rift is important. If you call up the game and say no to occulus, the changes you make thru mouse and display are not the same video settings as whats called up if you say yes to occulus. For video settings thru occulus you click on video settings with HMD, then remove HMD and see the video settings pop up, select texture, font, size and save.
I use 512 texture, saves on pc HP and with SDE many details are wasted anyways.

I was able to minimize the SDE to a point but distances are still tuff, in close is great, the 3D experience is great but it still tires my eyes quickly.

To moi these are what to tweak and adjust. Once you like at this level you can add AA for close in eye candy. SDE is just minimized and marginalized as much as I can. NOT Rectofied tho!
 :salute

PS: Its still a whole new game, I mean totally different. Closing 1 eye, leaning forward for better sight clarity. Everything is completely different.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 12:59:15 PM »
You have one more option, download the Oculus debug tool, and put SuperSampling from 1.0 to 2.0.  You will increase the resolution in the Rift x4.  You will also have to turn down many MANY graphical options in-game though to maintain frames.  It is a beast.  But some people prefer the increased resolution and clarity to eye candy.  I like both ways.

You need to open it every time before you run Aces High, but I have a feeling you are one of those people who prefer this over cool shadows...You will notice how much sharper it is immediately
BTW - when I run the debug tool, I don't see any options for supersamping? :confused:
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 02:39:29 PM »
Figured it out. Had an older version of tool
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 11:56:13 PM »
With my monitor, I always had reflections disabled, it was to much to see thru.

I'm still trying to find some kind of sweet spot and am still dancing settings, I enabled reflections for 1st time with the rift on.

Is it me, it does seem to do something to help with the SDE?
I am trying to maintain 90f/s, SS 1.3, 75% disabled settings. Trying out FXAA and multisampling only in profile.

I think I need instruction with gunsights and VR. I cannot hit anything.

This thing really gets to my eyes, there buzzing when I take it off. I sent away for some swatches of rear projection screen, looking for optical glass samples. I'm about to get aggressive with this thing. If it gets to where I cannot wear it, WTF, nothing to loose, will do what I do best.

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 11:00:46 PM »
Some people say FXAA makes it blurry due to the type of AA that FXAA is.  It is much more noticeable in VR because its right in front of you.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
I turn AA off in game, game now uses FXAA I believe. Cause things to dim.
disabled shadows, ground clutter in flight, bit mapping and details. Causes things to dim or fuzz
enabled reflections, ground clutter, post lightings lens flare. Helps raise ambient light levels.

AA off Nvidia profiles
FXAA on profiles
IMO

Does nothing for distance but theres more ambient light, the rift display is dim overall, my old guy eyes need more light. It appears that the overall ambient light is way dimmer to protect eyes from something, IMO.

The dimness and AH normal washed out color palette do not help with the rift either. SweetFX was great for this. How skins are colored needs to change to help with the rift. You cannot even tell a difference when you change textures so I feel the game could help by tweaking its color palettes and how details are applies. Adding details helps to fuzz things up because the system is already over compensating to create immersion depth. Something I doubt the game will do for its smallish VR community, lots of work. I wonder if the skinners could not help in this by making skins for VR purposes.

The ability to tell the closing rate with and enemy aircraft is unreal, I mean REAL. I could never catch on with this before, even with the distance icon. But now I can actually perceive it. I killed lunatic last night, 1st legit good kill, usually he out flys me!
 :salute
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:55:32 PM by MADe »

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nef6yWYu0-I&feature=youtu.be

still questing for optimum. I tried this all alone without other stuff enabled, I liked it.
fyi

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 04:24:54 AM »
YES! I did the set up that you were talking about this evening! Turned off the AA in Invidia and turned up the MFAA :aok The screen virtually changed 180! This was way clearer in my opinion(may be different on other machines). Talking night and day difference.  I was even able to turn up the Super Sampling in the Occulus tray tool to 1.8 with out major hit to performance. That's with running the in game graphics settings pretty much full. True, as the tray tool performance overlay shows negative values in head space, it was still better than before I did the change. Didn't really notice a big difference in the visuals when I turned those settings down(other than the obvious like they always do) like terrain detail ect. Yes head space was in the positive but didn't notice any difference in game play. I know...told ya I was going to bed :eek: Had to test it and got a bit enthralled in the results :x
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Online edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 10:27:25 AM »
I just got my Rift this week and was not that impressed until I tried the MFAA with everything else off.  MADe I think you found a great setting!  Text is much clearer and SDE is noticeably reduced.  I used the Oculus Debug tool and upped the pixel density to 1.3 with no drop in FPS.

THANKS!

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 07:00:56 PM »
Cool good to know.

Personaly tho I am ready to hang it up. I sat a 37mmm with a tank at 650m out. If not for icon, no see. I cannot hit him and he kills me with 1 shot.

Rift is useless for AH. You cannot see target.