Author Topic: Considering a new CPU?  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Considering a new CPU?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 01:23:35 PM »
Hypothetical:

If one wanted to buy an Intel CPU that supported Win7, what CPU would provide a good price/performance choice while having the horsepower to run AH3 without breaking a sweat? (Coupled with adequate RAM and a vid card in the GTX 1070 range.)

I see that _some_ of the "6th Gen" Skylake CPUs are supposed to support Win7 but not all. Apparently all the "5th Gen" CPUs will support Win7.

So where's the sweet spot?

If the CPU speed is at, or above, 3.0Ghz, then it will run Aces High III fine, providing a decent amount of RAM.  Once you are there, the video card is what is going to make the difference in how well the game runs.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 09:55:40 PM »
Did you disable "Intel SpeedStep Technology" in the BIOS?

That is Intel's hardware power management.  I always disable that.  Many OEM computers do not allow access to that setting.

Yep, been doing this for quite some time unless I'm intentionally trying to down clock my CPU in which I will then enable CEIST (CPU Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology), enable the Balanced power plan so the OS will hook into it then reset the min power % setting in the Advanced Settings section to a % level that will correspond to the lower CPU clock frequency that I'm wanting to use for testing......if I want to lock it there then set the power max % setting to 5% above the new min power % setting to keep it there......... Just another method of using the Intel CPU power management\Windows Balanced power plan to achieve a similar result vs using the High Performance plan.............

Works as advertised, too. This is the method that I used to set the CPU clock speeds to the 2.7GHz that was being recorded during the 2nd video that I posted in another thread to demonstrate that by using 1 of these type of CPU's the CPU clock speed wasn't a major factor in the CPU's capability to stream massive amounts of data out quickly when there are enough CPU physical cores available to process the threads across a large L3 cache & SMP branch pipe structure running at 3.0GHz speed................

But I believe that Intel has also inserted the old baseline SpeedStep algorithim strictly at the CPU hardware level & didn't allow any outside access to it. I vaguely remember reading some article some years back that brought this to light.....I think this was done after the Prescott fiasco to "protect" subsequent Intel CPU's from being overheated but can't say for sure. Still researching for verification of this.............have slept too many days afterwards..............

This is the only "theory" that makes sense of what I was seeing w\ my I7 5820K CPU, otherwise TurboBoost should have it hit 3.7GHz & stay there as long as the CPU thermal TDP threshold wasn't encroached regardless of CPU load....CPU was running at 55*C-57*C during this testing which is nowhere near the TDP threshold for this Haswell-E chip.

My testing shows to confirm that this is the case as I had CEIST & Platform Power Management disabled during subsequent test runs using the overlay setup I mentioned earlier to show this data in real time....I could clearly see the CPU core clock speeds occasionally drop down to 1.5GHz then go back up to 3.7GHz....all while under a running game load using the Dx11 version of AHIII.

If I find this info I will post it.

:salute

BTW.......if Intel CEIST is enabled it will also override & defeat Intel's TurboBoost when it detects light CPU core loads causing stuttering & other issues that we sometimes erroroneously relate to a GPU issue..............been there, done that.

FYI.......................... .

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 10:56:25 PM »
Ok, just got done w\ recording a sortie w\ the RT overlay using HWINFO to insert the individual CPU core clock speeds, MSI AB is providing the rest.

Setup:

Intel CEIST & Platform Power Management is disabled in UEFI (Intel's TurboBoost has full control of the CPU).
Win 7 HP SP1 OS is set to use the High Performance power plan w\ all advanced settings set as Skuzzy posted so Windows is completely out of the CPU power management business............

Once I get it uploaded on YouTube I will post it (most likely by Thursday evening as it's gonna take a while to fully upload)..............

FYI.......................... ....

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2017, 07:11:10 PM »
Here it is...........left my box up all last night & all day today to get this video uploaded & published.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXAfk8n-P0U

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2017, 12:30:09 PM »
One quick mention to make......................... ....

When you looking at me flying low over the town & the FR is dropping as low as 23 FPS, you're seeing an example of just how far FreeSynch has come as the AMD FreeSynch low frame rate compensation was being used to keep the frametimes steady so the scenes were smooth thruout even when the GPU FPS went back up as soon as the town objects dropped out of the graphics scenes.

FYI....................