Author Topic: Capt. John H. Hoefker - F-6C (P-51C) 5M-G - 10th PRG, 15th TRS - AH3 Update 1  (Read 959 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Taking lessons learned...   Here is an update to this Mustang.   The metal no longer looks like it has a coat of dusty gel on it.  :D  I also got the wing color closer to what it should be.

Compare:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,384810.0.html

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:29:30 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline zinhwk

• Zinc Member
IMHO. The black appears too... "digital" clean compared to say the OD nose. To me, a smidge less opacity or a slight cloud/flower grayscale pattern over the top of the stripes would help the painted on worn look rather than an incomplete clean stripe on the wings
<S>

Zinhwk
Hades 7
431st FS/475th FG (v)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
You're speaking Greek to me.   :O

It's not a solid stripe.   It just looks that way in shadow.   Maybe a transparency/opacity change would do it some good...   I will try that.   :salute

Getting screenshots of this airplane have been a bigger challenge than any other scheme I have.   Can't say why. 

The worn portions are right off the photo I have of it, fwiw.

Fly it offline and see what you think.   The stripes haven't changed between that version and this one. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:26:48 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline zinhwk

• Zinc Member
Okay, on a bigger monitor I see it now. I'm still not sure about the hard break in the worn areas on the stripes but if that's the way it was, that's the way it was.  :aok
<S>

Zinhwk
Hades 7
431st FS/475th FG (v)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I can try feathering it more. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
You are incrementally getting there one subtle change at a time. It's visible how you have worked the weathering and aging of your aluminum and colors that are responding. Are you going to experiment with some of those tiny random blueish highlights bare aluminum reflects under sun lit sky due to the micro imperfections in the surface?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
The black on the nose and stripes looks too dark. Are you using the same color/fading as the previous version?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
You are incrementally getting there one subtle change at a time. It's visible how you have worked the weathering and aging of your aluminum and colors that are responding.

Thanks, bustr.  I'm trying.   The metal definitely looks like years better than my first attempt.   (Funny how I thought it looked good then and now I think, "YUCK!")   The guys with the skills here are good and patient teachers.   That's the key to doing this...   I was pretty clueless before.   At least now I have some idea what I am doing.

Are you going to experiment with some of those tiny random blueish highlights bare aluminum reflects under sun lit sky due to the micro imperfections in the surface?

I may.   This  is a question for Skuzzy probably...    Is not the E map to be used to mimic those reflections now, or are baked in effects still okay for this?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:55:36 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
The black on the nose and stripes looks too dark. Are you using the same color/fading as the previous version?

Same color and fading.   Maybe the tweaks to the spec maps altered the appearance of the black.  Or the change to the aluminum color messed with the contrast some...   Hmmmm.     :headscratch:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
It looks good Vraciu. Your metal effect is quite convincing now, the difference in specularity between the metal and painted areas is the key and your screenshots are angled well to show that. The black looks too dark to me also. Try lightening it 10-15% or so, it is easy enough to change it back if you don't like it.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
It looks good Vraciu. Your metal effect is quite convincing now, the difference in specularity between the metal and painted areas is the key and your screenshots are angled well to show that. The black looks too dark to me also. Try lightening it 10-15% or so, it is easy enough to change it back if you don't like it.

Thanks a lot, sir.  Will do.  :salute 
”KILLER V”
The Damned