Author Topic: Why doesn't HiTech invest in marketing?  (Read 6145 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why doesn't HiTech invest in marketing?
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2017, 11:54:29 AM »
My new daily driver, a 64 Ranchero, and the Cobra, then the Wife's 62 Corvette.

Wow.    Awesome. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2017, 12:02:35 PM »
Yes. We exactly need more young people.

I don't know what they want to do with the business when their livers fail from excess scotch consumption, but specifically targeting the 40+ age group from the current population exclusively isn't really a viable long-term business strategy.

I think it would help our cause if "The Mighty Eighth" would get released, and also Riddely Scott's "Battle of Britain" remake.   There are SO many compelling stories in WWII air combat to be told, and big budget film reaches our target audience.

I would really like someone to also retell an accurate, unvarnished story of the Flying Tigers, heavy on the air-to-air action, and subplot line of Chennault's struggles against the military brass.

Of course, word needs to get out about AH, otherwise War Thunder or World of Warplanes? might get the bump in members, not us.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2017, 01:04:35 PM »
Skuzzy, you a Ford guy?

Ford and guy/man doesn't belong in the same sentence ;)
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2017, 01:45:31 PM »
It is also important to Target your audience......... do we need more kids & xbox type players.

(Image removed from quote.)

You are out side of your mind if you think targeting a younger crowd is bad....Bfoot1 is 22-23??? and is one of the more vital members of the community...need more of them, less man gun sitters and m3 runners
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2017, 01:58:40 PM »
It is also important to Target your audience......... do we need more kids & xbox type players.

Remember how full the MA was when there were all those squeakers around? Remember the fun? The missions? The drama?  :old:

Young players are the future. False elitism kills any game.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2017, 02:08:01 PM »

Remember how full the MA was when there were all those squeakers around? Remember the fun? The missions? The drama?  :old:

Young players are the future. False elitism kills any game.
You mean a 'target rich environment' that was full of squeakers. :D
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »

:noid
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2017, 02:41:13 PM »

Who doesn't enjoy clubbing a baby seal now and then?
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2017, 02:43:43 PM »
Who doesn't enjoy clubbing a baby seal now and then?
:rofl  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »
CS wasn't a game at first it was a mod for Half Life that had about 10-20K people playing it....so Valve bought the intellectual rights to it.
Exactly, and when Steam is released, CS (as a franchise) goes on it and is now one of the most popular multiplayer games ever.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2017, 08:36:05 PM »
Exactly, and when Steam is released, CS (as a franchise) goes on it and is now one of the most popular multiplayer games ever.
That wasn't entirely due to it being on Steam though. It's arguably the most skill based shooter game in the world which drew it's initial base, steam helped the word get out there but theres people playing CS almost or longer then there are people playing AH, hell they have "pro" CS players with 13 years in the Major leagues.....the thing that exploded it into the realm of League and DOTA is the skins.

That competitive side that has kept CS such a big game is why I think it's funny when Aces High players talk like scores and ranks are a bad thing for a game...I agree the MA scores currently create bad gameplay but if you tweaked it a bit to make the better scores the guys who actually kill efficiently and kill more then just baby seals then that wouldn't be the case.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »
So having a 15 year old gaming son...here is his perspective.

BORING..... Climb for 10 minutes to dive down and fight a guy who reverses on you and kills you like that. He would roll capped fields because it was instant action and he didn't care if he died...he just wanted the fight.
In a "3 2 1...FIGHTS ON" world of first person shooters, with instant respawn, and a "timed game"....our world is a bit "ho hum" in terms of action.  They want it...and they want it NOW!! 

Toss in the beating they take learning, and you have a "non-player".

Funny thing is my son was a helluva shot....it wasn't that he didn't like it...he just enjoyed other games more. 
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2017, 11:18:09 PM »
So having a 15 year old gaming son...here is his perspective.

BORING..... Climb for 10 minutes to dive down and fight a guy who reverses on you and kills you like that. He would roll capped fields because it was instant action and he didn't care if he died...he just wanted the fight.
In a "3 2 1...FIGHTS ON" world of first person shooters, with instant respawn, and a "timed game"....our world is a bit "ho hum" in terms of action.  They want it...and they want it NOW!! 

Toss in the beating they take learning, and you have a "non-player".

Funny thing is my son was a helluva shot....it wasn't that he didn't like it...he just enjoyed other games more.

Does he have a particular interest in WWII aviation?  That was the key for me - I stuck it out just because I had never seen anything like it (WarBirds at the time) and was determined to get good.  And I keep coming back, still learning, (but still upping from capped fields for the fight).  But I occasionally do GVs, run supplies or troops, sometimes up buffs.  Lots of ways to spend your time and have fun.  Fighter sweeps are still the most fun to me though

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2017, 01:14:58 AM »
My son was just about the same, Dobs. It was always a choice between other games and friends. He had more than a few run ins with a few players that berated him, and that was the end. Some folk just cant keep their mouths shut. Why put in the time to learn a hard game, just to get textually abused for killing someone :headscratch: Young folk don't have to deal with that in some other games. I understood but still pay his account just in case he decides to give it a go again.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2017, 06:27:24 AM »
We tucked him in our squad, and gave him "Mother Hen" protection....but the time "not fighting" vs "time fighting" ratio was too great for his enjoyment level.

My instructions to him were if someone gave him grief on text...to just LOL them.  Good chance of making an old geezer get apocalyptic and seize up:)  He laughed at that.

Oboe....he enjoys jets....and all the G-Whiz stuff that goes with jets.  So WWII aircraft aren't "sexy"..they are like a Chevette is too us old guys:)   

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution