Author Topic: Clean your computer!  (Read 1471 times)

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
Re: Clean your computer!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »
I use swiffer duster for outer pc surfaces and compressed air for inside surfaces, taking the pc outside so the dust ends up blowing in the wind. I stick a solder aid or my finger in fan blades to prevent rotation because I usually need to re-position fan blades several times to get all fan blade surfaces clean.
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 02:06:15 AM »
I used a vacuum cleaner before, now I have a small hobby compressor (meant for painting plastic models) and an unused small paint gun as trigger. So far I have spun every fan available at full speed during the cleaning process. Vacuum cleaner made them really whine, I guess that has to stop now in light of this new information.  :lol
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 06:22:26 AM »
I used a vacuum cleaner before, now I have a small hobby compressor (meant for painting plastic models) and an unused small paint gun as trigger. So far I have spun every fan available at full speed during the cleaning process. Vacuum cleaner made them really whine, I guess that has to stop now in light of this new information.  :lol

Depending on the motherboard design, you might be able to get away with it if zener diodes were implemented on the power feed to the fan.

Without knowing if they are, it is a gamble to run the fans with air.  Of course, it is also possible for the fans to have zener diodes installed in them as well.

Easy way find out is to take a volt meter and connect it to the leads of the fan then run the fan.  Set the volt meter to 5V range.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »
I use our mid size 2 1/2 HP - 250 psi Air Compressor which has a water/moisture separator on it.... I'll  blast the nozzle 6 to 8 times real good before I point my air nozzle that has an adaptor attached to the outlet with a 18 inch long 3/16ths I.D. tube ... The tube is very flexible and able to reach all nooks and crannies..

I always take our computers(cases) outside and use a workbench

secure all fans to where fan blades can't move

Disconnect main (large) PSU to MB cable (incase PSU fan comes loose and spins

Disconnect / unplug intake & exhaust fans from MB for same reason

Use an assortment of different size/shapes of brushes

Always clean filters by blowing air through them blowing the air through the back side (filtered side) of the filter....this keeps from messing up the filter and not further impacting the dust/dirt into the filter...

Occasionally I will completely remove my graphics card and clean the fans and heatsink of it...makes it a whole lot easier to clean and inspect

Same goes for the Corsair  CAFA 120mmX2 CPU heatsink/fans cooler (these are behemoth in size)

Spend as much attention and care cleaning your computer as you do if you were building a new PC

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC