Author Topic: Player numbers down?  (Read 22306 times)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: Player numbers down?
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2017, 08:44:31 AM »
The entire game these days seems to be about capturing bases - don't pretend that troop running is some side show.

The defenders park their tanks in or near town and wait to ambush the M3 and the attackers bring their tanks to clear a path for the troops. Once any plane shows up to hunt tanks, out come the wirbs to get easy kills - and yes, it is far easier for a wirb to kill a plane than vice versa.
I wouldn't say "far".  With the right approach it's not really that hard.  Have a helper, it's quite easy really...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2017, 11:04:44 AM »
I just complain about Lazer. He's gone to wearing kilts now and he favors the short ones. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh
:confused:

(ugh, just had a visual)
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »

One simple fix I think would be eliminating supplying of towns.

Include speeding up the rebuild time for auto ack and buildings, then change the percentage down to 15%. That would make terrains cycle faster while making it the defenders base to loose for not getting in the air and defending the town. It would promote more activity providing more opportunities to shoot at people. One lanc box at this point would probably be able to drop the town in a single pass and then that would be it. Most players would need two or three passes and those changes would cause more people to get in the air because the current timing that is GV centric for town captures and defense would no longer exist. If the attack is by GV, the same field\town paradigm will exist, except the M4 with rockets would be more dangerous to a town and require faster elimination than trying to find it with a GV. And yes with the town down req at 15% with no resupply, there would be more GV attacks to drop bombs on and probably attract lazor to pick off IL2. But, a faster rebuild time would put the GV's on the spot, a box of lancs would become a better smash and grab tool.

Having watched the knights and now the rooks since the alpha testing into the current AH3 first year, missions no longer happen, the process has become organic and emotional. If an initiative takes the first field on any given evening, everyone asks which field next. Then they mount up willy-nilly and start the process again. If they have enough players and the defenders make enough mistakes, they have maybe two hours of base rolling. If you are a furballer who just happens to be on at that time, you have two hours of fun. The process runs out of steam and players start disappearing. The current base capture requirements are designed to frustrate and delay a 30 player attack as a legacy of the AH2 hoard days, today it "wears out" a 10-15 player attack in two hours over 3 maybe 4 bases. It does not promote long term sustained activity which is what new younger players will be looking for in a game. It will frustrate and grind them up quickly.

The current town capture cycle favors the GV game in terms of timing, GVs are slow and take time to get into a fight. That was obvious while I timed spawn point and airfield GV hanger to town times. I could have put the GV spawns 5 miles away and my terrain would be as hated as buzzsaw. But, GV attacks on airfields would have become a waste of time and captures a forum whine fest. The community accepts the 18 airfields on my terrain with no GV spawns to them. They fight all night to take one and never complain about GV spawns. But, if there was a GV spawn, and it severely limited the effectiveness of attacking GVs, they would burn down these forums with whines about being screwed on purpose by Hitech.

Base capturing is the primary activity generating source in the game before simply furballing. The current timing in the town resupply and rebuild is out of sync with today's smaller player numbers in the MA, if you want to make them self motivating based on success. Part of the malaise and seeming lack of energy(sissiness) in players is due to not thinking of capturing a field as an easy activity to have fun. When players happen to be in the right place and time with a field capture, the most sissy of them will fight even lazor. If you give them a choice, they will run, to ack, to a wirbel, or just away to not loose.

The feilds in AH right now do not make players look forward to tomorrow and winning territory, and playing Aces High the game as much as being with their friends for a few hours. What happens when their friends get bored with the current paradigm? Until something new is created by HTC, field capturing makes and breaks this game because it is what new players will do first to learn and love Aces High. If there is activity at a field, there are people to shoot. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2017, 01:03:19 PM »
I think a fighter bowl with 3k air spawns inside of 1 sector, with a nice terrain, would allow a lot of players to enjoy the game without the serious gameplay and timing of the game play of the MA.. This arena would also greatly help new uus under stand the fight model, airplanes, and help them get right into the action without them aimlessly flying around in the MA without them knowing what's going on, in a huge Map. Use like a 16 player Max limit. It helps players greatly understand the game in a smaller environment and will bring them to the MA and make friends easier.

It's simple, easy, and will keep new players interested in the game who just want quick fighter action.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:09:18 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2017, 01:09:31 PM »
7 pages by my count, I think Purzel the op is getting a lot more than he bargained for, lol, does it have to be beat to death every time?

Wishlist question

Dear Hitech

Please tell them to shut up and play the game, you've got it under control.
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2017, 03:28:34 PM »
I think a fighter bowl with 3k air spawns inside of 1 sector, with a nice terrain, would allow a lot of players to enjoy the game without the serious gameplay and timing of the game play of the MA.. This arena would also greatly help new uus under stand the fight model, airplanes, and help them get right into the action without them aimlessly flying around in the MA without them knowing what's going on, in a huge Map. Use like a 16 player Max limit. It helps players greatly understand the game in a smaller environment and will bring them to the MA and make friends easier.

It's simple, easy, and will keep new players interested in the game who just want quick fighter action.

That was the DA furball lake and it had 5K bases with ack to keep people from air spawn camping air spawns. If Hitech went for that kind of a terrain and players like you and myself were kept out of there, yes, it might work if a trainer was on duty from time to time to kick out shades. Even as a FTP arena. The automated match up arena allows players like us to turn new players into scooby snacks which is not a very good introduction to "Aces High, we will kill you as your reward for showing up in your first 30 seconds because we are desperate to kill anything that moves".

Everyone with a "tiny minority of statistical anomalys", learned this game by following base captures, and over time, deciding if they wanted to be only that or move on to ACM. If you don't keep the doors open, you won't grow the next generation of players interested in ACM. All those old farts who do base capturing keep the doors open with their subscriptions, and that mass activity will be where new players learn the ropes in the beginning. And where a few will find furballing is their calling.

It sounds like you want Hitech to make an IL2\War Thunder style of game play arena, why don't you just say that? But, once Hitech goes that route, why stay here and pay $15 a month when we can get that for free? Unless one of your long term goals is to get Aces High turned full FTP?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2017, 03:54:57 PM »
its really quite simple.  hitech needs to play and post missions every 15 minutes.  these missions will have real time targets of importance for the war.  this will make the game fun for everyone.  every other mission will be noe.  problem solved, aces high is fun again, and people return.

it really is that simple.

:salute

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2017, 04:24:08 PM »
That was the DA furball lake and it had 5K bases with ack to keep people from air spawn camping air spawns. If Hitech went for that kind of a terrain and players like you and myself were kept out of there, yes, it might work if a trainer was on duty from time to time to kick out shades. Even as a FTP arena. The automated match up arena allows players like us to turn new players into scooby snacks which is not a very good introduction to "Aces High, we will kill you as your reward for showing up in your first 30 seconds because we are desperate to kill anything that moves".

Everyone with a "tiny minority of statistical anomalys", learned this game by following base captures, and over time, deciding if they wanted to be only that or move on to ACM. If you don't keep the doors open, you won't grow the next generation of players interested in ACM. All those old farts who do base capturing keep the doors open with their subscriptions, and that mass activity will be where new players learn the ropes in the beginning. And where a few will find furballing is their calling.

It sounds like you want Hitech to make an IL2\War Thunder style of game play arena, why don't you just say that? But, once Hitech goes that route, why stay here and pay $15 a month when we can get that for free? Unless one of your long term goals is to get Aces High turned full FTP?

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2017, 05:28:44 PM »

Alright, I finally have time to write a thought out response to your insinuation. Before you write your next post, please consider the psychology and understanding of what I am about to share with you. This is from years of playing in all areas of AH, at the highest level.

Lets talk about the DA and DA Lake, and why new players aren't sticking around for only MA type action.

A. The DA dueling side of the map is very well done, is great for its purpose, and well used for the aspect of dueling.
     B. The DA Lake side of the map is a total disaster. No one flies there anymore. It needs to be removed, and the arena needs to be a Dueling only arena.
     C. Create a separate Map entirely designed for quick furball action. 1-2 sectors, 3-5 bases, air spawns, no Teams, and a few rules like no swearing/ friendly ganging/vulching
     D. This would work far better than the current DA Lake. The DA lake is still slow to get to furball, people gang with teams, 5k alt advantage on take off, water only scenery, cons hoarding around the bases waiting for the guy they just shot down to roll. There are so many reasons it's not working and why no one flies there anymore.
     E. A new Fast action arena would be totally different than IL-2 or WT because this isn't match play/ and the MA will still have your "Base takers guys" and players like them, and players who like the MA, It's not going to change any part of that game play. Most new players want fighter action, not slow base grab action. Players will join the fast action bowl arena, jump in, and swing away. There is no teams, there is no point to the game play, no scores, no ranks, players will be forced to engage very quickly. It would be a lot of fun, and will greatly enhance skills. It is in no way relating to the game play of WT or IL-2. It would also be great for players who like the flight model here better than Il-2 and WT.
     F. I think the "sharks eating the bait" analogy is a farce. Everyone gets killed quickly when they first start this game. In the MA it just takes you 15 minutes to die quickly, after you just spent all that time climbing and enjoying the scenery. That makes a lot more people pissed off and discouraged than if they just spawned and died within a 3-6 minute time frame. The MA takes a lot of time. I think that is the misconception that you guys have about this game. If I love AH, log into the map, and there is a lack of fights, or I dont have 40 minutes to find one/create one, where do I go to find some fun fighter action? Would you rather I go play WT or IL-2? Or would you rather me go to an arena with a map that is easily understandable, to keep me in the game, talking to players, fighting people, making friends/enemies, and helping others learn the game better? Even if they die quickly, they wont feel like they've wasted time just getting to the fight. This is a place for people to find quick, non organized, non team action, for quick fights. The MA is far more intense/big/challenging, than you realize, and that is because you have been playing for so long. When I started this game, dying over and over again was the way I learned, Luckily there was a quick map in h2h where I could have shorter sorties and not waste so much time just getting to the fights. Yaws and others beat me to a pulp, but it helped me learn the game better, its a big reason why I decided to subscribe after it was shut down. 2 weeks in the MA would have not allowed me to understand the gameplay, or level of fights in AH, and I think that's why so many players who check this game out dont stick around. There is no place for them to find quick action and learn the planes and jump into action easily. I think saying that "players will leave because they die quickly to good players" is a terrible reason because no one would ever play video games if that was the case. Im a newb at battlefield and die quickly, doesn't mean I hate the game and get discouraged, it just means there is more learning to do. Human Competition is always variable and always challenging, its part of the game. I actually think it would encourage players to keep playing the game and become better at it.
     G. This is what AH is really missing. You guys are under the illusions that you have a " furball arena" already, but there is a reason why no one plays on it and its still a far cry from a fun place to enjoy fighter combat without the intensity/time of the MA.

2. If you don't want to do that. The only way you can make the MA more actionable and more exciting for all the players who have to fly in the MA for the AH experience, is to make base distance shorter overall and keep the maps smaller overall. This will keep people from getting bored with the game, especially in the off hours. Smaller #s need smaller maps with closer base distance. You would be surprised at how much that will help the action of the game play. That's the biggest reason why CV fights are so fun and why so many people love CV fights. Quick. Fighter. Action. If you don't want to create a FFA arena bowl for that kind of action, then make the bases closer together so that players can enjoy the fights a little faster.

I really understand how the fights and action work in AH. I understand furballs better than anybody. I understand why so many people have gotten bored and left, which makes the game overall slower. It's a ripple effect. The maps and base distance need to be smaller for the current player base. That is the only thing that will keep players subscribed to the game and keep new players around after 2 weeks. It would bring many old players back and create a huge spark in excitement. People want action, not strategy.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:31:53 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »
Alright, I finally have time to write a thought out response to your insinuation. Before you write your next post, please consider the psychology and understanding of what I am about to share with you. This is from years of playing in all areas of AH, at the highest level.

Lets talk about the DA and DA Lake, and why new players aren't sticking around for only MA type action.

A. The DA dueling side of the map is very well done, is great for its purpose, and well used for the aspect of dueling.
     B. The DA Lake side of the map is a total disaster. No one flies there anymore. It needs to be removed, and the arena needs to be a Dueling only arena.
     C. Create a separate Map entirely designed for quick furball action. 1-2 sectors, 3-5 bases, air spawns, no Teams, and a few rules like no swearing/ friendly ganging/vulching
     D. This would work far better than the current DA Lake. The DA lake is still slow to get to furball, people gang with teams, 5k alt advantage on take off, water only scenery, cons hoarding around the bases waiting for the guy they just shot down to roll. There are so many reasons it's not working and why no one flies there anymore.
     E. A new Fast action arena would be totally different than IL-2 or WT because this isn't match play/ and the MA will still have your "Base takers guys" and players like them, and players who like the MA, It's not going to change any part of that game play. Most new players want fighter action, not slow base grab action. Players will join the fast action bowl arena, jump in, and swing away. There is no teams, there is no point to the game play, no scores, no ranks, players will be forced to engage very quickly. It would be a lot of fun, and will greatly enhance skills. It is in no way relating to the game play of WT or IL-2. It would also be great for players who like the flight model here better than Il-2 and WT.
     F. I think the "sharks eating the bait" analogy is a farce. Everyone gets killed quickly when they first start this game. In the MA it just takes you 15 minutes to die quickly, after you just spent all that time climbing and enjoying the scenery. That makes a lot more people pissed off and discouraged than if they just spawned and died within a 3-6 minute time frame. The MA takes a lot of time. I think that is the misconception that you guys have about this game. If I love AH, log into the map, and there is a lack of fights, or I dont have 40 minutes to find one/create one, where do I go to find some fun fighter action? Would you rather I go play WT or IL-2? Or would you rather me go to an arena with a map that is easily understandable, to keep me in the game, talking to players, fighting people, making friends/enemies, and helping others learn the game better? Even if they die quickly, they wont feel like they've wasted time just getting to the fight. This is a place for people to find quick, non organized, non team action, for quick fights. The MA is far more intense/big/challenging, than you realize, and that is because you have been playing for so long. When I started this game, dying over and over again was the way I learned, Luckily there was a quick map in h2h where I could have shorter sorties and not waste so much time just getting to the fights. Yaws and others beat me to a pulp, but it helped me learn the game better, its a big reason why I decided to subscribe after it was shut down. 2 weeks in the MA would have not allowed me to understand the gameplay, or level of fights in AH, and I think that's why so many players who check this game out dont stick around. There is no place for them to find quick action and learn the planes and jump into action easily. I think saying that "players will leave because they die quickly to good players" is a terrible reason because no one would ever play video games if that was the case. Im a newb at battlefield and die quickly, doesn't mean I hate the game and get discouraged, it just means there is more learning to do. Human Competition is always variable and always challenging, its part of the game. I actually think it would encourage players to keep playing the game and become better at it.
     G. This is what AH is really missing. You guys are under the illusions that you have a " furball arena" already, but there is a reason why no one plays on it and its still a far cry from a fun place to enjoy fighter combat without the intensity/time of the MA.

2. If you don't want to do that. The only way you can make the MA more actionable and more exciting for all the players who have to fly in the MA for the AH experience, is to make base distance shorter overall and keep the maps smaller overall. This will keep people from getting bored with the game, especially in the off hours. Smaller #s need smaller maps with closer base distance. You would be surprised at how much that will help the action of the game play. That's the biggest reason why CV fights are so fun and why so many people love CV fights. Quick. Fighter. Action. If you don't want to create a FFA arena bowl for that kind of action, then make the bases closer together so that players can enjoy the fights a little faster.

I really understand how the fights and action work in AH. I understand furballs better than anybody. I understand why so many people have gotten bored and left, which makes the game overall slower. It's a ripple effect. The maps and base distance need to be smaller for the current player base. That is the only thing that will keep players subscribed to the game and keep new players around after 2 weeks. It would bring many old players back and create a huge spark in excitement. People want action, not strategy.

I think what you are saying take the game from a WW II sim...........to a WW II arcade game....R.I.P. AH3

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »
Sigh....  :bhead

you act like I want to change the entire game.

Where does doing what I said make any part of the MA "arcady"

How does adding a real furball arena that actually works, take away from the game experience, when people would subscribe and keep their subscription due to fun non scored furball action with no team play.

You obviously didn't even read or understand anything that I wrote.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:34:19 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2017, 08:06:50 PM »

He made match play for this exact situation
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2017, 08:57:07 PM »
Sigh....  :bhead

you act like I want to change the entire game.

Where does doing what I said make any part of the MA "arcady"

How does adding a real furball arena that actually works, take away from the game experience, when people would subscribe and keep their subscription due to fun non scored furball action with no team play.

You obviously didn't even read or understand anything that I wrote.

You make a lot of assumptions based on what YOU like to do i the game.

Creating "another" Dueling/fast action arena will do nothing but draw a few players away from an already dwindling number of players in the Main arena. Newbies may try a da/fast action arena, but the sharks will quickly chase them away. Will they run to the main arena? I doubt it. 2 weeks of having their butts handed to them over and over will do nothing but see them look for a new game.

I'll jump on the assumption wagon here and go out on a limb. I'd bet that less than 25% of the player base right now likes/wants furballs. I think less than half of the players will actually fight for ANY reason. What ever type of game play they like/want, fighting for it is very low down on the list. Grab bases..... most are horde or NOE, why? Because they dont have to fight. Bombing milk runs..... 30K, why? they dont want to have to fight.... see bomb and bail. GV spawn camps. The only time you see guys NOT spawn camping is when some of the "elite" GVers break a spawn camp..... so they can camp the spawn.

Numbers are down because todays players dont want to leave their comfort zones. They dont want to take the time..... and all those deaths to learn other aspects of the game. So they are stuck doing to the 2 or 3 things they can do with out fighting and soon get bored. There is nothing wrong with the game, the price isn't something that is too much to bare, there are a lot of options available to many types of game play. The only issue is the players them selves. Pushing players to step outside of their box and try and learn.... and taking the lumps is all that is needed.

But how do you show them that there is so much more to the game outside that box?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2017, 09:07:25 PM »
I'm just trying to get back into AH after a very long layoff, so forgive me if I'm not up to speed on all the new features.

I have played around in the Online Mission arena a bit. I've only seen one other player in there and he didn't stay long enough for a mission to start. So it's usually just me.

Seems to me that this _could_ be a really decent quick action furball experience. Right now it is not but it has the potential.

I haven't figured out how to create a Pickup Mission. Maybe someone could PM me the gouge on that.

I have played a Staged Mission or two, fighting with AI on my side against a total AI side. It can be good experience to get your shooting eye tuned back up and some of the AI are darn good at shooting my shorts off. I need work on my ACM, obviously. The missions airspawn so once it launches that action comes quickly.

Now there's slots in these Staged Missions for an 8 V 8 fur IF you could get 16 players in there. As I said, this is Huuuuuuuuge  potential as our politician says. For the Axis v Allies crowd, all the sets seem to feature Axis aircraft on one side vs Allied on the other. It's got various type missions, fighters escorting bombers, etc.

The problems I see at the moment with the Staged Missions:

1. There can be 10+ minutes between missions. I think it should be like the old America's Army where another round starts very quickly after a round ends. There was always a scramble for slots. As it is, you sit around waiting 10+ minutes for the next fight to start. That's not going to be attractive to very many folks.

2. There aren't too many different mission setups in the rotation. There seem to be quite a few available for download but not that many running in the online rotation. More missions featuring different planesets would be a good thing.

3. This arena has the opposite problem of the old Yogi Berra saw: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."  The Mission Arena problem is "Nobody goes there because nobody goes there." If we could set up some Friday Fight Nights or something of a sort it might grow into a pretty fine arena for those who like fighter combat.

4. I see no need for there to be a "mission ends" segment. It's not the flying home and landing part of the game that generates excitement. It's the Fight. So, again like America's Army, the mission should just end when one side is totally eliminated. Last man standing. Fire up another mission and let's rumble!

5. After a mission ends there could be a brief score awarding screen. Scores would stick with a player so you could earn "rank" or something that would act as an incentive for those that need that.

Just my 02. If there's something I don't know or understand about this arena, please educate me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2017, 10:42:11 PM »
You make a lot of assumptions based on what YOU like to do i the game.

Creating "another" Dueling/fast action arena will do nothing but draw a few players away from an already dwindling number of players in the Main arena. Newbies may try a da/fast action arena, but the sharks will quickly chase them away. Will they run to the main arena? I doubt it. 2 weeks of having their butts handed to them over and over will do nothing but see them look for a new game.

I'll jump on the assumption wagon here and go out on a limb. I'd bet that less than 25% of the player base right now likes/wants furballs. I think less than half of the players will actually fight for ANY reason. What ever type of game play they like/want, fighting for it is very low down on the list. Grab bases..... most are horde or NOE, why? Because they dont have to fight. Bombing milk runs..... 30K, why? they dont want to have to fight.... see bomb and bail. GV spawn camps. The only time you see guys NOT spawn camping is when some of the "elite" GVers break a spawn camp..... so they can camp the spawn.

Numbers are down because todays players dont want to leave their comfort zones. They dont want to take the time..... and all those deaths to learn other aspects of the game. So they are stuck doing to the 2 or 3 things they can do with out fighting and soon get bored. There is nothing wrong with the game, the price isn't something that is too much to bare, there are a lot of options available to many types of game play. The only issue is the players them selves. Pushing players to step outside of their box and try and learn.... and taking the lumps is all that is needed.

But how do you show them that there is so much more to the game outside that box?

To go even further, people are too afraid to lose.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."