Author Topic: A perspective from a new player on payment/player numbers  (Read 8387 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Steam
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »
No, that's not what they show.
It says:

1787 is the assumed range of error, which makes the estimated number of 1291 rather pointless.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if -496 people had logged into WBs in the last 2 weeks.

Actually it's not, especially for small indie game developers like HTC. 

This interests me.  Not knowing a ton about it, it seems to me like a boon to small developers.  Massive exposure and distribution.  The 30% off the top and being forced into whatever sales they do (iirc) are the only downsides I see.  What am I missing?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: Steam
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2017, 10:59:51 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me at all if -496 people had logged into WBs in the last 2 weeks.

This interests me.  Not knowing a ton about it, it seems to me like a boon to small developers.  Massive exposure and distribution.  The 30% off the top and being forced into whatever sales they do (iirc) are the only downsides I see.  What am I missing?

Wiley.

Independence
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
Re: A perspective from a new player on payment/player numbers
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »

This does not make any sense.  If they cannot play the current version, they would not be able to play a Steam version either.

:aok +1
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »
Cause and Effect-cause if HiTech went with a company like steam the effect he would have to raise our subscription prices...

not onlt that Stream I would believe try to Tell HiTech how to run HIS game..too make it like WOT  WOW  WT.

Plus if by some weird deal he did go with stream  theres no guarantee that it would bring in more players.

yes the OP could be a shade player to get us riled up and it seems it worked.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »
Cause and Effect-cause if HiTech went with a company like steam the effect he would have to raise our subscription prices...

First, I'm not particularly pro-steam, but I'm just looking at the idea objectively.  Just hypothetically, a few hundred new subs at $10.50 is still a substantial increase in cash flow.

not onlt that Stream I would believe try to Tell HiTech how to run HIS game..too make it like WOT  WOW  WT.

What on earth would cause that?  That I know of Steam doesn't have anything to do with how games are run.  Am I just unaware that it happens?

Plus if by some weird deal he did go with stream  theres no guarantee that it would bring in more players.

Agreed.  I could see it fizzling quite badly what with people there being used to AAA small arena games.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2017, 04:39:21 PM »
This does not make any sense.  If they cannot play the current version, they would not be able to play a Steam version either.
umm you can purchase games on steam with paysafecard or bitcoin,  something which you cannot do here. I cannot pay for Aces High here, because i cannot pay with paysafecard.

ot onlt that Stream I would believe try to Tell HiTech how to run HIS game..too make it like WOT  WOW  WT.

pls do not spread false info.  Steam is not a publisher that finaces production like electronic arts for example.  Steam is just a distribution platform. They have no input on the game you make.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:42:08 PM by nugetx »

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2017, 04:46:36 PM »
Agreed.  I could see it fizzling quite badly what with people there being used to AAA small arena games.

Wiley.

Look at War thunder, it's an arcade flight sim without  arena and it has currently 14,000 players at peak today.  (steam stats).

It means people want a flight sim, but there aren't any.

by not being on steam Aces High is shooting itself in the foot imo
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:48:54 PM by nugetx »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2017, 04:55:14 PM »
Look at War thunder, it's an arcade flight sim without  arena and it has currently 14,000 players at peak today.  (steam stats).

It means people want a flight sim, but there aren't any.

by not being on steam Aces High is shooting itself in the foot imo

Not that simple.  The comparison that's about the most accurate would be Planetside 2 vs Counterstrike.  PS2's got gameplay in the vicinity of AH.  Counterstrike's pretty similar to WT.  PS2 ~2000 people at the moment.  Counterstrike GO ~380k.

If the percentages carried over, AH would gain about 73 people.  Whoopee.  That also doesn't take into account the fact that both of those other games don't have a subscription.

Wiley.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:59:37 PM by Wiley »

JG11

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2017, 05:00:19 PM »
Not that simple.  The comparison that's about the most accurate would be Planetside 2 vs Counterstrike.  PS2's got gameplay in the vicinity of AH.  Counterstrike's pretty similar to WT.  PS2 ~2000 people at the moment.  Counterstrike GO ~380k.

If the percentages carried over, AH would gain about 73 people.  Whoopee.  That also doesn't take into account the fact that both of those other games don't have a subscription.

Wiley.

but for a game like planetside 2 you have to count also the players that play the version without steam(because everyone play together, those with steam and without, it's the same server),  CSGO is steam only (as it's a valve game).

The same would be with AH as with planetside 2, unless it would want to fully migrate to steam.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »
but for a game like planetside 2 you have to count also the players that play the version without steam(because everyone play together, those with steam and without, it's the same server),  CSGO is steam only (as it's a valve game).

The same would be with AH as with planetside 2, unless it would want to fully migrate to steam.

So that bumps the PS2 numbers by about 1000.  Still, no subscription, which is a killer for the vast majority of people.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2017, 05:10:17 PM »
So that bumps the PS2 numbers by about 1000.  Still, no subscription, which is a killer for the vast majority of people.

Wiley.

Your numbers show that there are more steam players than players from the main website :)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2017, 05:17:38 PM »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
Your numbers show that there are more steam players than players from the main website :)

Touche, but it's still not apples to apples.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »
Just another Troll. :bolt:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2017, 01:19:38 AM »
I'm just a guy who would like to play but cannot.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:52:13 AM by nugetx »