Author Topic: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.  (Read 54329 times)

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
Re: I have been considering steam since the beging of april.
« Reply #360 on: June 01, 2017, 05:54:30 AM »
+1 on the wildcat video it's great!

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #361 on: June 01, 2017, 09:50:13 AM »
That's why there needs to be a solution to satisfy many players.

There are people who want

1) All planes unlocked
2) RPS
3) Ability to fly their 'favourite plane'
4) Grind
5) No Grind

It's hard to combine all those things because they are contradicting each other.

When things are mutually exclusive, replace "hard" with "impossible".

A possible solution is:

RPS (for those that want RPS)  +  perks in one
here is an example, as they say 1 picture is worth thousand words:

(Image removed from quote.)

No really guys!  This time the RPS will work!  Really!

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #362 on: June 01, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
When things are mutually exclusive, replace "hard" with "impossible".

No really guys!  This time the RPS will work!  Really!

Wiley.
So what do you propose? Surely you see the numbers are dwindling

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #363 on: June 01, 2017, 10:37:12 AM »
You have to admit, unless we can stop the failing of the past several years, our greatgrandkids will be watching the hit series "Ow My Balls" on network TV.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #364 on: June 01, 2017, 10:46:10 AM »
You have to admit, unless we can stop the failing of the past several years, our greatgrandkids will be watching the hit series "Ow My Balls" on network TV.

:rofl

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #365 on: June 01, 2017, 11:52:06 AM »
So what do you propose? Surely you see the numbers are dwindling

If it were my game, the first thing I'd do is update all the AH1 models, priority 1.

Then, I would implement a graduated damage model so the part doesn't work factory fresh when it's been hit 19 times, then completely fail on bullet 20.  If I understand the system right, the information's available, they've just chosen not to use it this way in the current model.  Damage would also affect how much G force you could apply to the plane.  Damaged wing, best not pull too hard.

I'd also consider reworking the damage model to add more things to break in the vehicle, stuff like control surface cables, possibly the ability to detonate ammo boxes, things of that nature.  Maybe twice as many "zones" of damage, as an example maybe have the current wing bits able to break in half.

I'd also consider changing the map system to allow for overhangs.  I've often wanted to build a map that looked like the Badlands with all the funky rock formations.

I'd also hire someone to produce maps, or put out the word that we were willing to pay for maps.  Not "if you send us some POS we'll buy it" but "if we like it, we'll buy it".

As far as the actual "game" of the Melee arena, nerf resupply and make a run at incentivizing aggressive behavior.  More score/perks if you died with more guys getting assists on you, or something along those lines.  Time between kills factoring into points/perks...  Not entirely sure how I'd go about it, but possibly have the game detect when you've done something good like a BRD and killed the guy that came in from advantage.

Keeping the game as-is, that's where I'd stop.

If I wanted to really make it popular, I'd set up a game mode that had 2 teams, 4 bases, and the first team to take one of the other side's bases wins the round.  Or, have different scenarios, bomb the ships or save them.  Destroy the train or save it.  Sweep the enemy team from the sky.  Bombers incoming, kill them before they hit the factory.  Have these come in early, mid, and late war varieties.  You'd queue for whichever game style you wanted, and once it had enough players the round would begin.  Possibly with airstarts.

For the ADD and wannabe pro gamer crowd, 1-10 man versus deathmatch arenas, FFA every man for himself arenas, CTF, etc.  Because lord knows we need to make this an ESport.

Winning would earn you points toward upgrades to your plane like 150 octane fuel, bigger guns, skins, and all the other blahblahblah that the grinders want.  It would completely crush the Melee arena and the Melee arena would die, but it would be popular.

And I wouldn't play it.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #366 on: June 01, 2017, 11:57:25 AM »
Winning would earn you points toward upgrades to your plane like 150 octane fuel, bigger guns, skins, and all the other blahblahblah that the grinders want.  It would completely crush the Melee arena and the Melee arena would die, but it would be popular.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #367 on: June 01, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »
Wiley,

For genX and genY and now some genZ, games are like the problem here in California with wine. There is so much wine available that you can drink wine all the time because of the huge market in sub $10 a bottle availability. You go to the local 7\11 or QuickiMart or Food Outlet, and they have a wine list starting at $10 down to $2.99, so very few people actually know what a good wine is like. They just know wine is always available, has alcohol often at 13-14% because of the short aging cycle with cheap wines, and the weekend is here for partying.

And in the off chance they get to taste a higher priced wine which tastes a universe of difference, unless they have the money, all they are left with is the memory. So back to the sub $10 bottles everywhere and constantly trying new cheap wines that are never going to taste like an expensive wine. In most cases all they really want and won't admit to is a cheap buzz for $2.99. So two modern and very Hip food stores here in California cater to genX-Y with well packaged but elcheapo wines. Trader Joe's started it with their in-house 2Buck-Chuk which had those hipster gens buying it by the case loads. Then Whole Foods brought out their own version to compete for the hipster market.

And then the local Food Outlet that caters to the lower income crowd has isles full of three and four year old name brand wines picked up in clearance lots at $2.99 a bottle. And where do the hipsters go for that weekend buzz? And none of them know an industry secret about table wines. By three years old they will taste like crap, at four, you may have alcoholic vinegar. So at year one through half of two, depending on the company name, they sell full price $10-15 because they only taste like a $10-15 dollar wine while the sugars are still there. Most table wine in super markets in the $10 range at the oldest is 2 years at full price. By the third year they are sale items because the clock is ticking on the sugar running out.

If the AH3 package is good from A-Z when the first Steam customers pop in for a look, it may well sell itself by it's differences from all the other games nuget wants Hitech to castrate it into.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #368 on: June 01, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »

RPS (for those that want RPS)  +  perks in one

Thankfully, those that want a RPS system are in the minority and the majority of the players (including the creator) do not wish to have such a system for the game.

BTW- Your idea of having a RPS system coupled with perks will actually negate the entire RPS system and punish those (especially new players) that don't have the perks to spend.  Bad for game play, bad for business.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #369 on: June 01, 2017, 12:46:40 PM »
Bustr-  Could be.  I still see AH vs the F2P alternatives is similar to Planetside 2 vs Counterstrike.  PS2- ~3000 people a day.  Counterstrike-700k.  And PS2 has the advantage of being F2P.

I want to believe there's a bunch of people on Steam that just don't know about this game and are just dying to play something like it.  I think what's actually there are a bunch of people who are looking for better graphics than everything that's gone before, and will freak out because they have to use DX9 to get smooth gameplay when they want to use DX11 because DX11 is 2 numbers higher.

I'd love to be wrong.  I would love to log in and see 600 people in an arena.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #370 on: June 01, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »
nuget wants Hitech to castrate it into.
How expanding on what is currently is castrating?  I would agree with you, if I said that  20 planes should be removed and we should play on  5 meter map with 1 plane...... but i'm saying the opposite.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #371 on: June 01, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
Re: Wiley's post -

When we talk about upgrading models from AH1 to AH3 standards, there is something that often never gets mentioned - the damage graphics.

The only plane I can think of that has these graphics is the P-39, but there may be others I'm not aware of.   In other planes, if a control surface is damaged, it is deleted from the shape and all you see is empty space where the part should be.  But in the P-39, a graphical representation of the damaged part is used instead of empty space.  Instead of nothing, you get to see twisted & torn metal, exposed rib structures, etc.  Its very effective and I wish more planes had this as part of the new standard.  But it wasn't included with the Ki.61.  Not sure about the 110.

I do wish AH3 planes would include damaged part graphics as part of the damage model.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:22:00 PM by oboe »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #372 on: June 01, 2017, 01:33:37 PM »
That's not expanding, it's castrating it down to a generational expectation of $2.99 a bottle cheap buzz on demand.

And I suspect would make it easier for you to survive the over developed skill sets of a core of players who have been in this game a decade or longer. You seem inordinately focused on Hitech dumming the game down to being something like a cross between War Thunder and WWIIOnline for people with short attention spans. That would make this audience wonder if you had a bad experience at the hands of those vets during your 2 Week free trial period. Have you even played our game?? What you are encouraging Hitech to do to the game will castrate it down. It also appears like you don't believe Hitech knows what he is doing in his industry.

From the title of this post by Hitech, he did not decide to get a green light at Steam because of your wishlist post, you just happened to make a post about Steam at the same time he was thinking about Steam. And green lighting at steam appears to require a vote by registered members of steam, so it was a given members of this forum would help Hitech out if he posted about Steam. Your wish list post was never needed, just capricious.

I still wonder if you are a shade for some vet, your argument structure reminds me of a few players who drop back in and throw this up on the wall from time to time ad nauseam to let us know they are still around.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #373 on: June 01, 2017, 01:57:50 PM »
no Rps, leave things as they are as to planes, gvs-quit tryin to change things--AH3 isn't on Steam yet are you are already tryin to changes things

from what I read Rps's don't work-if I half to fly certain planes for a week or month whatever I will be looking for a new game. AND I DON'T THINK NEW PLAYERS WILL LIKE IT EITHER.

NO ROLLING PLANES SETS PERIOD.

ALL PLANES ARE UNLOCKED UNTIL ENY SETS IN THEN YOU SHOULD CHANGE SIDE TO ACCOMADATE ENY
THERE ARE ONLY A FEW PERKED PLANES TO TRY TO AQUIRE.

I WONDER HOW MUCH STEAM IS PAYING NUGETX- because he sure sounds like a salesman before.
oh and he's good, this community didn't rip into him like they did the other people tryin to get HTC to go to Steam.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #374 on: June 01, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »
Re: Wiley's post -

When we talk about upgrading models from AH1 to AH3 standards, there is something that often never gets mentioned - the damage graphics.

The only plane I can think of that has these graphics is the P-39, but there may be others I'm not aware of.   In other planes, if a control surface is damaged, it is deleted from the shape and all you see is empty space where the part should be.  But in the P-39, a graphical representation of the damaged part is used instead of empty space.  Instead of nothing, you get to see twisted & torn metal, exposed rib structures, etc.  Its very effective and I wish more planes had this as part of the new standard.  But it wasn't included with the Ki.61.  Not sure about the 110.

I do wish AH3 planes would include damaged part graphics as part of the damage model.

That too.  Sorry, I consider that a bug. ;)  Not expecting bullet decals to be in their actual impact locations, that's just way too much info going back and forth, I'm mostly concerned with behavior.

Wiley.

JG11