Author Topic: CV and cruiser killing  (Read 1000 times)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
CV and cruiser killing
« on: May 30, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »
This discussion cropped up in-game this morning, and I wanted to post this info as a resource.

We were talking about setting the speed for the PT boat.  I have the most success when I set the speed such that the pointer on the gauge looks like this (notice the point of "4" sticking up slightly from the top edge of the needle bar, and the small back dot at the crook of the "4" below the bottom edge of the needle bar)...

And the rpms are set to:

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Re: CV and cruiser killing
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 03:57:05 PM »
I had no idea the PT was anything other then engine off or full bore.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »
well done jinxy even though you are a joker I still like you and enjoy our fights.    :salute
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 06:18:28 PM »
Jinx, which position do you use to set for your aim point after you get speed and heading set? Commander view or any particular gun position ?
Ground Pounders ...

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 07:12:53 PM »
Any gun you can point at the target.........#3 works well.

If done right with 2 torps for each CV, you can down 2cv and 2 cruisers in one sortie........and still earn very few perks doing it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:14:27 PM by icepac »

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »
Any gun you can point at the target.........#3 works well.

If done right with 2 torps for each CV, you can down 2cv and 2 cruisers in one sortie........and still earn very few perks doing it.

Thanks, i'll give that position a go next time.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 11:28:00 PM »
#3 gets me in a rough line-up, and I fine-tune from the commander's position.  Everyone has the black dot drawn on their computer screens, right?

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 06:30:42 AM »
I had no idea the PT was anything other then engine off or full bore.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who think the same thing for every plane in the game.
 ;)
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 07:09:31 PM »
The most important thing is not to tell anybody you've found a cv or a bunch of guys will up heavy fighters and spend themselves uselessly on the side of the hull in a "11 one way missions" orgy of fail........causing the cv to turn before your torps can hit it.

Second most important thing is to make sure it's coming toward you as much as possible and that your sighting gun being more than 40 degrees from forward will likely net you nothing.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »
The most important thing is not to tell anybody you've found a cv or a bunch of guys will up heavy fighters and spend themselves uselessly on the side of the hull in a "11 one way missions" orgy of fail........causing the cv to turn before your torps can hit it.

Second most important thing is to make sure it's coming toward you as much as possible and that your sighting gun being more than 40 degrees from forward will likely net you nothing.

As far as setting speed...........go 41, drop torp, and slow until you are going exact speed.....then view speedo from same angle always.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 12:37:39 AM »

Agree on both points.  My favorite approach is the with the enemy fleet off my port bow, crossing to my right, with the enemy cv and cruiser lined up bow to stern, with maybe a little gap between the two boats.  I can pretty much sink both ships in one spread on that approach, almost every time.  As long as they don't change course, they are as good as dead.