Author Topic: Aces High has been Greenlit on Steam!  (Read 20243 times)

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Aces High has been Greenlit on Steam!
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2017, 01:55:31 PM »
You don't have to join Steam as HiTech already stated that the non-Steam version will remain if he decides to go the Steam route.

best of both worlds for everyone  :banana:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »
You don't have to join Steam as HiTech already stated that the non-Steam version will remain if he decides to go the Steam route.

Was in response to junky

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2017, 08:45:03 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I hear in one of the Tech on line News pages that Steam was doing away with the Green Light system so congrats for being one of the last to have to go through that system

here is the write up       https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/6/15749692/steam-direct-launch-date-valve-greenlight
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:37:32 PM by Dundee »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2017, 07:41:18 AM »
I don't use steam. I would hate to be charged more so some steam player could play.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »
What you're saying is roughly equivalent to saying a product you like being sold on Amazon is going to cause the product to change.

Wiley.

Your operative word is "roughly". Only the free market can cause changes to products  :aok
What I am saying is having to pay a fee to Steam may place HTC in the position of raising
its subscription fee and or curbing development of the game
As I have said before, I don't have a problem paying $10 or $15 more on the subscription to AH
just to keep it autonomous
But.... thats just me  :rock
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2017, 09:01:15 AM »
I don't use steam. I would hate to be charged more so some steam player could play.

More? You were a subscriber during the many years HTC charged twice their current rate, if I recall? Wasn't it $30 a month for quite a while? And that was when the dollar was worth more than it is now.

I'm not saying it will come to that, I'm just saying we all paid more (those of us still around) and it was still worth it when we did. Sub is about $15 monthly right now. I know I don't speak for everybody, and I know paying LESS is BETTER, but I honestly wouldn't feel slighted at all if I had to pay $20 monthly. It's a matter of value for your money and we're still well above the norm for AH, IMO.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2017, 09:03:46 AM »
Wasn't it $30 a month for quite a while?

$29.95 until August 2001.  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2017, 02:41:29 PM »
Hitech got in under the bell, I like to belive AH3 would still pass the new review process with no problems.

Here is the stated reason Green Light is going away:

Valve said that game makers have complained about the opacity and uncertainty of the Greenlight process. The company also noted today that since the program’s debut in August 2012, it has received more than 90 million votes from nearly 10 million Steam users.

An Indi developer can ask all of his players to ask all of their friends to help get green lit by registering and voting, but not many of those friends are players of his game. Kind of open to abuse up front knowing how helpful gamers can be to people or institutions they like.

After following a bunch of links to forums and Twitter with conversations by players who have the Steam community in common. Besides the games from Steam being a common bond for that community, all the ramifications of modern generational "social justice" as a chip on their shoulder ranks number 2. It will be interesting if this moves forward to the stage that we get an influx of the Steam community visiting our forums. Some of us older guys don't talk too good by modern sensibilities.... :O

Skuzzy, any chance you could just mail me a mussel, I'm getting splinters from your MOD stick..... :bhead 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »
<snip>

Skuzzy, any chance you could just mail me a mussel, I'm getting splinters from your MOD stick..... :bhead

Well, I am getting splinters from using it, so welcome to my world.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2017, 03:05:38 PM »
I'll trade you splinters for tape......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2017, 04:14:10 PM »
More? You were a subscriber during the many years HTC charged twice their current rate, if I recall? Wasn't it $30 a month for quite a while? And that was when the dollar was worth more than it is now.

I'm not saying it will come to that, I'm just saying we all paid more (those of us still around) and it was still worth it when we did. Sub is about $15 monthly right now. I know I don't speak for everybody, and I know paying LESS is BETTER, but I honestly wouldn't feel slighted at all if I had to pay $20 monthly. It's a matter of value for your money and we're still well above the norm for AH, IMO.

I pay more for insurance now so some deadbeat doesn't have to. I pay more taxes so some deadbeat doesn't have to.

I would just hate to pay more to play a game so that someone from steam can play. If they want to use steam, let them pay.

Money is not the issue. I have paid some months for a couple of players or so that were having some difficult times. Not because I was asked to and certainly not because I had to.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2017, 05:17:01 PM »
Shuffler,

The first page when you login with the free to play offerings may be the answer to this by it being expanded in some limited form. Maybe Hitech increases the number of players allowed in custom arenas to 64 and Skuzzy puts up something designed by Waffle to expose them to a more Melee arena experience without all the toys we get for $14.95. Then the AI mission arena, if the massive bomber mission over Europe mission was friendly enough to PCs across the spectrum, it would make a good substitute for getting an SFO experience. I tested it during the alpha on both sides of the conflict in all of the rides, and it was breath taking with the weather front that stretched across the continent and the gigantic air battle that dragged on for miles to the target. BoB had one of those with massive numbers of He111 to defend against or fly with. The Bf109 E4 would need a body lift into AH3 standards.

Hitech had us test some excellent stuff that could be used as the front page teasers to hook the new players we need in the Melee arena. And if they try to turn it all into a freeloader's Little Napoleon paradise like the old free HtH, Hitech can just let us loose in there in fighters for a month with the baby seals. Meh, just send Joachim in with a toothpick and some bubblegum..... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2017, 08:00:42 PM »
To whom it may concern:  I have not been around for a few  months but do agree that going onto Steam might help Aces High to draw more players and help the community grow.  Wish you the best.

]

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2017, 04:13:31 AM »
There are a few issues with Steam.  One is privacy - you literally sign your rights to any information you give them away, meaning they can mine your computer system for info, as well as your account, sign up details, email etc and sell or supply them to third parties - they do have a disclosure agreement you can look up to see what you're agreeing to though.  Another is the steam client hooks into your operating system to run anti-cheat / DRM stuff so the software is a lot more invasive then your regular amazon software store, its more similar to an antivirus program. 

I run steam games but I have a modified DLL to do so because I don't like those sorts of programs on my computers.  When I close my game I don't want it to continue running on my system or updating itself automatically when I login without asking my permission. 

Lastly there is some controversy over the valve anti-cheat system.  VAC is an automatic cheat detection system (see above).  If you are banned by the automated system you can lose access to your steam games.  The problem is Valve will not discuss the VAC ban with you and you are banned for 3 months, not only on your account but all accounts linked to your phone number - if your kid downloads a cheat from the internet and the VAC detects it, bye bye kids account, your account and all accounts connected to that phone number, and all the games you've purchased.

I say screw that, I don't use steam but if I did I'd be immediately banned most likely.  Seems a bit over the top to me. 

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »
It's a good thing using steam won't be mandatory then isn't it?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11