Author Topic: Something for the Pacific Tile Set - 4  (Read 2706 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Something for the Pacific Tile Set - 4
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2017, 06:09:16 PM »
One major island and three tiny islands that end up being a tweaking beachhead because it's like a very tiny arena with one airfield\town and two GV spawns into that confined area to slug it out. Everything is so close, terrain sculpting booboos and painting booboos are brutally obvious. And then there is tweaking the approach to the town from the spawns so GVers get those long views to look for snipers, hiding places to hide or snipe, and just the right amount of "no trees" to make a GVer feel like moving off the spawn because he can see into the distance. I spend a lot of time on the ground with each spawn trying to think like a GVer and tweak the landscape to be fair to both attacker\defender.

And then bridges over streams........  I am burnt out building mountain ranges and working them around those white base placeholder squares. "Place Holder" describes how much detail work I will have to do once I put the objects in place. Fortunately during one of my burn outs on mountains, I worked on GV spawns with the available village\agrarian clutter tiles so I have a semi mass production rational. The previous terrain taught me about working that out ahead of time so I had my GV centric testing worked out for spawns and sending GVs at a target.

You can see I'm almost finished creating all of the islands.

But, I realized I was avoiding grinding out another island when I started finger painting this on the island I was working on. There is a white place holder square for a small airfield with map room on the field and a stream with bridges will stand between the spawns and the airfield. I'll run a stream out of one of those runoff ravines after I drop in the small airfield object.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 07:46:16 PM »
Testing bridges and towns I realized because I left in that land bridge in the center, you will need a minimum of three bridges across any river used to block the path of GVs. The town is above the water level at 500ft. After driving the ground to look at both bridges and the land bridge, it was obvious the land bridge needed a thick tree cover just to protect GV's from higher ground snipers. The bridges needed the same on both sides of the water to protect getting to the bridge to make the exposed run across it, and for friendly GV's to hide themselves to shoot at the higher bridge snipers. Three bridges increases the odds defenders cannot cover all of the bridges while I need to make sure I don't create a single point for a defender to cover all three bridges.

If all you really wanted to do was kill tanks with your tank, spawn in to get the base flashing, then hide with a good shooting view of the high ground behind one of the bridges. Then pop people while they get setup to snipe the bridge.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 08:31:44 PM »
Great stuff Bustr. Thanks for taking the time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 12:53:29 PM »
FINALLY.....I get to put in the layer on the 1:1 blueprint for numbering all of the feilds. Then I can lay down all of the airfields\ports\task groups\spawns\strats\shore batteries. And I will add a layer to identify the locations I'm cutting in a stream to put bridges. If I don't have a handy ravine to run one out of, I can use Waffle's trick from the super large airfield of running it between two lakes.

All the land masses and general painting finished, now the real work, adding bases and the micro terrain finishing around each object. You have to get in the grass down and dirty to make sure the terrain works for tank combat at the end of every single spawn.

1:1 Blueprint all layers.

CBM map.bmp.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 07:19:05 PM »
So here is my next couple of weeks. This is a screen shot of a 1:1 scale multi-layer art file where I have the CBM map, base and strat dots, and GV spawns on separate layers. Made it easy to fix blowing the number count while numbering the bases in the three countries. And changes of mind on the flow direction of the GV spawns. The ports have two additional numbers, those are for the CV\BB task groups that will originate from the 9 ports on the terrain. I will be up to my eyeballs in shore batteries and PT spawns with this one. On this terrain it will be much easier to run into another battleship to have a duel with 16in guns.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 01:17:13 PM »
Looks fun.. thanks for doing this map and your previous one.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 08:43:19 PM »
So how do you protect an airfield that the capture mechanism is the maproom next to the tower? Assault from a task group will probably be an assured capture if the shore batteries , vHanger and bomber hangers are not taken out ASAP. But protecting the maproom from the GV spawns. A water channel and three bridges.

Why three bridges? One would be camped and end any access by enemy GV creating nasty forum posts. Two would be only a bit better, someone might or might not get through, and it is easy to defend with two players. With three, the attacking tanks and maybe fighter support will be able to open one of the bridges for an assault. Any more bridges and might as well not put a water channel there. There is every chance a player will get off the spawn and no one will be at the field yet. Then he will get across a bridge and start shelling the field to de-ack it. With the maproom next to the town, all he has to do is get all the guns down and an M3 can run in troops. That open grass space of about 1\2 mile will be a challenge to an M3. This looks like one of those times the usual crowd of Gvers who hate trees will want as many as I can stuff off the ends of those bridges. There will be two GV spawns to these kinds of fields so the assault GVs will have to watch their backs at the bridge head.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2017, 01:56:00 AM »
Country-1 populated, I'm toast right now so will put the 6 maprooms down for the task groups up behind the HQ tomorrow.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »
What you see in the terrain editor often will not look the same in the game from the clipboard map. In this case, I set the initial task group way points in the TE to 6 miles. In the TE that looks like a very long line. In the clipboard, the arrow tip to the way point lines is almost 5 miles long. So, I have to go back and pull out the initial way points to about 12 miles so the player in the Melee arena sees a good line and arrow.

Un-zoomed clipboard map.

Zoomed clipboard map.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »
Oceania is finished and I uploaded it to the custom arena HOST so Hitech can review it. Hopefully it passes review and can go into rotation.

I cleaned up the CBM map to make it look nice for the clip board and also a final look at the outcome of GV spawns at the center island tank combat area.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2017, 01:42:01 AM »
Tested bridges and the width of PT and LVT.

Holy hold the Batphone Batman, you mean we can finally fly under bridges?  :eek:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2017, 05:26:23 AM »
You can, you can!  :banana:

Awesome work Bustr. Oceania just looks beautiful.

:salute
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2017, 07:45:28 AM »
Very nice work Bustr.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2017, 12:58:06 PM »
Amazing work on the rivers, bustr. Love those coastline cliffs.

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001