Author Topic: Win 10 1709 has issues  (Read 748 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Win 10 1709 has issues
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:46:54 AM »
They've launched the 1709 update, pushing it in steps. However, it's an unfinished product.

A customer just did the update and lost his Internet connection. Also, Office 2010 crashed every time. W10 Pro, upgraded from 8, used for CAD in a home office, mobile Internet via USB.

So I started by rolling back the update which took a few minutes. Back in 1703 everything worked just fine. Checked for updates, reinstalled the 1709 update. This time Office worked fine and after some fiddling the Internet icon in the Taskbar said there's Internet. However, nothing worked. Not only the browsers, also Windows' Update and Help gave connection related error messages. I did all my tricks, all in vain.

So I called Microsoft. The girl asked me to do the Command Line magic I had already done plus some more but to no avail. Finally after having consulted a higher techie a couple of times she said there's flaws in the update. So she advised me to roll back the update once again and set the connection as metered to prevent it from downloading again until they've fixed the issues.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Win 10 1709 has issues
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 11:51:28 AM »
Apparently, it also bricks every Razer laptop in the world.  Apparently Microsoft has made changes to the driver API, for everything, and it was up to the OEM's to supply new drivers, which Razer did not.

Seems to be no worse than the last major update.  Some have problems, some don't.  Roll the dice.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 06:05:04 PM »
Yeah, my master modeling and audio system will no longer shutdown. The system I used for testing with the insider program gave no indication that this would happen, and the only real difference between the two is the monitor.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 06:23:08 PM »
Unreal.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 11:57:54 PM »
Following the Creator's update, my system was basically unusable until I rolled it back to the previous edition....

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 01:27:54 AM »
I found the setting under power management to fix the issue I had.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 09:32:49 AM »
Update: Today I set another connection as metered, however the Fall Update 1709 kept on downloading and preparing. All of the Finnish speaking Microsoft Help people were busy, so I was connected to some guy who was speaking English with a singing accent (Swede?). He had no clue why the update kept on going, the only explanation being that "they" may have bypassed that restriction for some reason.

As Skuzzy said, roll the dice.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »
Update: Today I set another connection as metered, however the Fall Update 1709 kept on downloading and preparing. All of the Finnish speaking Microsoft Help people were busy, so I was connected to some guy who was speaking English with a singing accent (Swede?). He had no clue why the update kept on going, the only explanation being that "they" may have bypassed that restriction for some reason.

As Skuzzy said, roll the dice.

Guess I'll have to watch for this....thought I was safe with having my connection set to metered, thanks Bizman.  Microsoft must consider this an important update.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
I found the setting under power management to fix the issue I had.

I'll have to look further into the power settings, thanks Challenge.  I've had occasional stability options with this build, that I thought may have been due to me being lazy and just moving the SSD from my old machine, software OS and all, and just turning it on in the new build, and it worked.  So I'm thinking it may be worth doing a clean install anyways, perhaps when I spring for a hardware upgrade one of these days.  But am hoping to do it on my schedule, not Microsofts.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 06:02:17 PM »
It does make what Microsoft claims are 'significant improvements' to ransomware security. With the recent Wi-Fi hacks in discussion this doesn't make me feel any safer at all.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »
My oldest son spoke with a friend who works with Microsoft, and apparently there are pretty widespread problems and folks at Microsoft are working long hours to try to get it fixed...meanwhile ,my system has been working rather well since I rolled Win 10 back.    :rolleyes: