Author Topic: ENY scale change and other crazy ideas  (Read 301 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
ENY scale change and other crazy ideas
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:13:30 PM »
Instead of making the high end planes harder to get, make the low end planes more appealing.  Incentives work better than punishment. 
This can be done easily, just by enlarging the ENY scale from 40 to 60, or even 80.  The perks earned by killing one good plane and dying in a 60 ENY plane should far exceed landing two kills in a 5 ENY plane.  That is how you get people to fly different planes.  Everyone can still fly their favorite crutch rides, but if they want to fly perk planes, the quickest route would be to first put themselves in danger.  Risk and reward.

Eliminate the perk bonus for landing.  Landing safely is reward enough, especially with kills and/or damage.  Running away to safety is not something that should be encouraged. 

Eliminate spawn points to the strats.  There is not enough players to babysit them, especially when you up to defend and the enemy bails or towers when he sees a darbar.

Eliminate town resupply.  This is really a lame, non-combat way to defend and only encourages bigger hordes.

GV darbar.  It is easy to determine if the enemy air force is large or small but impossible with ground vehicles. 

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Petey

• Copper Member
      • 56th FG Homepage
Re: ENY scale change and other crazy ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:18:36 PM »
good ideas
Petey

56 FG "Zemke's Wolfpack"

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 11:09:05 AM »
Instead of making the high end planes harder to get, make the low end planes more appealing.  Incentives work better than punishment. 
This can be done easily, just by enlarging the ENY scale from 40 to 60, or even 80.  The perks earned by killing one good plane and dying in a 60 ENY plane should far exceed landing two kills in a 5 ENY plane.  That is how you get people to fly different planes.  Everyone can still fly their favorite crutch rides, but if they want to fly perk planes, the quickest route would be to first put themselves in danger.  Risk and reward.

I think people are going to fly what they want to fly.  In my opinion expanding the ENY scale range will not change that. -1

Eliminate the perk bonus for landing.  Landing safely is reward enough, especially with kills and/or damage.  Running away to safety is not something that should be encouraged.    This is where the bulk of perks come from.  You would need to propose a replacement before taking something like this off the table.  -1

Eliminate spawn points to the strats.  There is not enough players to babysit them, especially when you up to defend and the enemy bails or towers when he sees a darbar.  I defend strats like a mad man.  I simply just do not see the bailers and tower-outs you suggest.  Too subjective and not enough evidence to back the wish.  -1

Eliminate town resupply.  This is really a lame, non-combat way to defend and only encourages bigger hordes.

I do not think it needs to be eliminated but I do think it needs to be modified in some way. -1

GV darbar. It is easy to determine if the enemy air force is large or small but impossible with ground vehicles. What exactly would GV dar bar be simulating?  Up a storch and count.  All the tools are there to get an accurate count and tell if GV's are present.  If no planes then it must be GV's.  -1
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »
I would not be against expanding the ENY scale, nor revising the ENY points for individual aircraft.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 11:24:33 AM »
The only one I disagree with somewhat is the no reward for landing.  Take away landing rewards you may as well just auger after you run out of bullets.  I just think there should be something that makes actually surviving the encounter worthwhile.

On the other hand, I would like to see some kind of reward for aggressive behavior.  I'm just not sure how one would go about coding a reward for aggression, possibly a reward multiplier if you kill fast?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline gflyer

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 12:23:15 PM »
GV Darbar would simulate the town folks and volunteers calling/radioing the nearest authorities that a GV just rolled through their pasture.  Don't see much need for it as the bases and towns flashing seem to give the same indication but, if this could justify upping the icon range for the invisible Dwirbles I am all for it. 

Offline gflyer

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 12:25:44 PM »
Wiley.. player rankings account for aggression in the kills/time category. 

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »
Yeah, I mean something tangible.  At the end of the day I'd say the vast majority don't give a tinker's dam about score.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 01:11:06 PM »
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.