Author Topic: Vega/Threadripper  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Vega/Threadripper
« on: July 24, 2017, 05:35:03 PM »
After all the Vega hype, so far it looks fairly disappointing, roughly the same performance as a 1080 in tests so far.  If it's cheaper than a 1080, then it'll be a bit more impressive, but they way they were promoting it, I was expecting 1080ti or Titan P performance or even better.  I would have paid for it too.

Threadripper is another story.  By the looks of it for $999 USD the flagship CPU should handily beat much more expensive recent Intel chips.  Once future SkyX chips and Thread are officially out, we'll see, but my next upgrade/build could be the first AMD system since my old Thunderbird back in 2002.  AMD CPU anyway, I can't see my giving up the 1080/ti/Titan for a Vega, for any reason right now.  Much less the next gen nVidia Volta stuff coming.

Offline save

• Gold Member
Re: Vega/Threadripper
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 04:41:15 AM »
Vega is a disappointment, in Swedish media they mentioned $200-300 less expensive than Nvidia 1080.
It will put price pressure on NVIDIA.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
The only Vega released so far is a Professional version with most of the advanced Vega features still disabled.
In many Pro applications it already showed strong performance while being (far) cheaper than nvidia counterparts.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 07:47:02 PM »
Vega FE, yes, has potential, but it's drivers aren't optimized for games, nor will they be anytime soon according to AMD.  The actual gaming retail card, the Vega RX, which has been tested vs the 1080 by many so far, performs about the same, and is a bit cheaper.  Vega FE I've seen tests where it's mowed Titan Pascals, handily, but not in games, in apps, as again, it's more of a Quadro competitor, and will be sold as such, and supported as such.  That same Vega FE has been tested in various games, and in gaming, it's performance compared to the Titan, falls to far below the Titan XP so far. 

AMD marketed the Vega RX - maybe marketed isn't the correct term, but it certainly put the rumors out there - the gaming card, as a Titan or 1080ti killer, for less $.  It is less $, but isn't even close to beating either, and again, Volta will be out shortly, this year, and that will obliterate the Vega gaming card easily, as the 1080 is already matching it, while the current Titan Pascals and ti cards are far faster.  Again, according to the dozen or so early tests that have been published online by various tech sites.

In other words, the actual gaming performance of BOTH new AMD wonder cards could be characterized as ho-hum, and that's being generous.  I would have paid for Titan P/1080ti beating performance, and built an all AMD new system with Threadripper and Vega, but it looks like it'll likely be Threadripper and Volta for the next one.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:55:13 PM by Gman »

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:06:17 AM »
No Vega RX has been tested so far, the only Voltas close to release are huge-chip professional versions. Voltas for gaming are not expected before early/mid 2018

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
As long as cryptocoin mining is buying all the video cards, there won't be any downward price pressure on AMD nor Nvidia.

I didn't think Threadripper was a gaming CPU.  Too many cores that won't get used, too little clockspeed.  And a high-ish price to boot.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
Ethereum is petering out and it looks like there are already video cards for sale from those purchased for mining there.  Although the early miners are still building up hardware as it seems a race to who can build out the largest data center for the purposes of mining.  Meanwhile, back in reality, the value is taking a dump due to the Ethereum group breaking apart.

Ethereum was a disaster looking for a place to happen anyway.  I hope it dies soon.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:50:15 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »
All the Etherium miners aren't going away though, many are looking for the next new bubble to get in on early.  I just hope it settles on a few coin types, bouncing from one to another over and over won't convince the public that these aren't just the new kind of pyramid scheme for the digital era.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 04:37:47 PM »
The Ehtereum split did not help matters.  One side for hacking,the other side against.  That whole virtual machine is a mess.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 04:01:23 PM »
Quite a few more 1060s for sale in the used forums up here than normal, probably a result of BC miners throwing in the towel already after the big surge/splash.

No official test of RX Vega, true, but the leaks as wells as tests posted by those who have the card early like HardOCP, as well as AMD themselves, will probably prove to be pretty accurate and representative of the retail released card when it comes out, IMO.

Vega RX from HardOCP, there are many other examples of this too from other tech sites. HardOCP has had their RX Vega card since before the weekend of the 22/23rd of July.

So far as Volta's release date, nVidia's latest press release on WCCFTech as of the 26th, they've specifically said that there will be a Volta gaming GPU product out in Q4 of 17.  Time will tell on that, but for release dates, it's always up in the air until the week they actually do get released IMO anyway.   Much will likely depend on nVidia's financials due out on Aug 10 (2 weeks), so far as how hard and fast they want to push Volta to the market.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:13:53 PM by Gman »

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 03:37:09 PM »
Quite a few more 1060s for sale in the used forums up here than normal---

Isn't that good news for everyone wanting to get AH running better on a budget?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 12:20:10 AM »
Good news for every gamer on a budget with an older card wanting to upgrade to something that will handle almost anything @60fps and 1080p.  1060s have been faster than the last gen 970 in most cases, and that was the "go to" card for a lot of people, here too.  Bad news for crypto miners, but that doesn't keep me awake at night.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
Well at least Nvidia is demonstrating some confidence\sportsmanship in publicly recognizing AMD's Threadripper CPU's................or is it really disdain for Intel coming thru?

I would like to believe that some vintage of true sportsmanship does still exist between these 2 rival companies..............

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-welcomes-amds-x86-comeback-endorses-threadripper-amd-high-fives-back/

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »
AMD is on par with intel, basically; that is more then what we can ask.

It should change everything.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 01:44:10 PM »
That deal that Microsoft has with Windows 7 not supporting newer CPUs on the Intel line (thus forcing you to switch to Windows 10), does that also apply to the new Ryzen cores?

Will they work fine on Win7 x64?