Author Topic: Remove Manned guns from fields  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Re: Remove Manned guns from fields
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »

I will put it to rest but please consider at least taking away the point and shoot 88 gun from fields. It will help a lot.

I'm not sure who you have encountered in an manned 88, but you are acting as if they are the proximity detonation 5" guns from the ships.  Dialing in the 88mm fuse range is far from automagic, not to mention the travel speed of the shells makes leading your target tough. 

Are you perhaps running Lancasters under radar, popping up, and getting slaughtered?  That's where I can see as a problem vs. the 88s.  Oh wait, a quick shot of machine guns or a well placed A2G rocket takes care of that for a few minutes.

And yes... I absolutely love jumping in an 88mm trying to knock people down be it a tank, bombers, or fighters... it's all quick fun for me.  Want to make it fun for you?  Destroy the guns, force my hand into avoiding the vulch.  I'll even take the "death score" if you knock me out... kill/death... feh!
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2017, 03:36:46 PM »
I wonder if we can apply a Lusche kind of response to organizing wishes by how extreme the player wants Hitech to change the game for "them".

Small changes - Peak prime time with many players in the arena.
Extreme changes - Off Peak prime time with few players in the arena.

Manned ack and ack is not much of problem during Peak prime time unless you have a habit of flying into it chasing kills. And the odds are pretty good during peak time someone will de-ack for you. So far from my experience with Hitech while observing his responses to the wish list over 15 years. This one is in the category of couching the wish as a great good for the community while really wanting Hitech to modify the game to suit one player's desires.

Each airfield, vBase, and port as a theater of combat activity is in an area about the same size as the tiny 19x19 mile arenas in War Thunder. In Aces High the terrains are 10 to 20 times the size of those in War Thunder with the ability to have almost that many concurrent combat actions taking place at the same time. Lately Violator's wishes seem to be about forcing players into the no where to run type of combat you get in War Thunder because of the limited size of the arena.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »
I wonder if we can apply a Lusche kind of response to organizing wishes by how extreme the player wants Hitech to change the game for "them".

Small changes - Peak prime time with many players in the arena.
Extreme changes - Off Peak prime time with few players in the arena.

Manned ack and ack is not much of problem during Peak prime time unless you have a habit of flying into it chasing kills. And the odds are pretty good during peak time someone will de-ack for you. So far from my experience with Hitech while observing his responses to the wish list over 15 years. This one is in the category of couching the wish as a great good for the community while really wanting Hitech to modify the game to suit one player's desires.

Each airfield, vBase, and port as a theater of combat activity is in an area about the same size as the tiny 19x19 mile arenas in War Thunder. In Aces High the terrains are 10 to 20 times the size of those in War Thunder with the ability to have almost that many concurrent combat actions taking place at the same time. Lately Violator's wishes seem to be about forcing players into the no where to run type of combat you get in War Thunder because of the limited size of the arena.

Bustr, I don't mean to brag, but I've been #1 ranked fighter the last 3 months in a row, not flying timidly or vulching. If anyone knows how the fights flow in AH, it's me. I have a passion for this game like you wouldn't believe.  I'm trying to get y'all to understand why the flow has dried up, why the MA hasn't been as successful at getting more players interested. It's minor minor game play changes that will make so much difference. The smallest things. Time value is extremely important these days. There's no free fight arena to just screw around. The DA lake was just a poor design ( a simple remoddel with a cool terrain will go a long way). I'm telling you. It would be totally better than WT. There's no area for people to understand the game. The MA is a big scary place full of very greedy and hungry players. It's too slow for people who don't have a clue what's going on. They fly all the way to a base, get piled on, or try to shoot an object and get blown away instantly by ack. I don't want the main Arena to be changed like WT, I want a MA that funnels actions and makes the fights a little more quicker and easier to find. We should be trying to get more people in planes and tanks. More people involved in action that provides a purpose. That's all I'm saying. This game is incredibly fun with only 20 players, if the map is suitable. Designing a very small MA style map for off hours time might be suitable. The biggest reason the mid war and early war were never popular was because of the map size. You made a mid war arena that was free and very small with very close bases. That might work. Just give it a shot.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2017, 08:55:20 PM »
The Melee arena terrain sizes that will be accepted by Hitech are 10x10 or 20x20 sectors.

If you want smaller terrains, build a custom one and put up an arena, then advertise here in the forums to get people in it. Or get chummy with the AvA CM's and terrain builders. None of your ideas which end up ultimately with you saying the Melee arena needs smaller terrains to support those ideas will happen. I don't care about score, whipping it out to justify anything is lame and childish. Do something besides constantly trying to convince the community that you are the top of the food chain when it comes to knowing all to make this game into some kind of utopia. You want to prove some of your assertions, build a terrain showcasing your ideas that are possible within the rules Hitech imposes on Melee terrains. You have always been free to if you believe you have a superior idea. Your last 6 months of pounding the keys to convince us of your superior knowledge you could have finished a terrain and had it in rotation. Then after that gets played on and discussed here in the forums, you might have something to talk about.

The problem with terrains, you have no clue what will happen after the community ups their rides and starts playing on it. All of your cherished assumptions will go right out the window and the players do everything but what you planned for them to do. Until you build a terrain and go through this, you don't have a clue other than tossing around "opinions".
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2017, 09:12:56 PM »

Offline gflyer

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2017, 01:32:35 PM »
+1 but will never happen, what would such a large % of population do if they couldn't man a gun, a wirble or drive an m3?  Maybe instead of doing away with man guns add a timer so that players at least can't jump right back in after being killed. GVs and airplanes have to spend time collateral, these players should to. Zero risk, just reward manning guns, this needs a balance.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2017, 03:10:13 PM »
The Melee arena terrain sizes that will be accepted by Hitech are 10x10 or 20x20 sectors.

If you want smaller terrains, build a custom one and put up an arena, then advertise here in the forums to get people in it. Or get chummy with the AvA CM's and terrain builders. None of your ideas which end up ultimately with you saying the Melee arena needs smaller terrains to support those ideas will happen. I don't care about score, whipping it out to justify anything is lame and childish. Do something besides constantly trying to convince the community that you are the top of the food chain when it comes to knowing all to make this game into some kind of utopia. You want to prove some of your assertions, build a terrain showcasing your ideas that are possible within the rules Hitech imposes on Melee terrains. You have always been free to if you believe you have a superior idea. Your last 6 months of pounding the keys to convince us of your superior knowledge you could have finished a terrain and had it in rotation. Then after that gets played on and discussed here in the forums, you might have something to talk about.

The problem with terrains, you have no clue what will happen after the community ups their rides and starts playing on it. All of your cherished assumptions will go right out the window and the players do everything but what you planned for them to do. Until you build a terrain and go through this, you don't have a clue other than tossing around "opinions".

It's not my Job Bustr. All I can do is tell you why #s are dwindling based on my very good and proven undertsanding of the game. I use fighter score to prove I know how the game play flows quite well, and what I am seeing from the game play at a top level.

I don't have the ability to open an arena and leave my comp running all day.

It's not the overall map size that's the problem, it's the overall specific areas on the map and the distance in those areas between bases. Thank you for putting closer bases, that's a good step.

Now I just think a free fight arena with a better layout than the DA will give people a faster flow area to not have to waste so much extra time looking for action. It's a great way for people to learn the game and fly agaisnt people quickly with no score or meaning. People very much do want this. The DA lake almost had that, but the lake was a problem (depth perception) and bases were just too high. It needs to be one side only so that teams do not gang, and a spawn so players cannot vulch. Those are REAL issues. A WW1 arena works fantastically with a smaller area. Why don't you think a early or mid war arena would do the same? It tells me you don't know enough about the gameplay and are scared to try other different size arenas.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:15:46 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2017, 03:36:22 PM »
Imagine a phone ap that would ping you every time a certain population threshold was met. Cod, sometimes I wish I was a code nerd.

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »

I'm not sure who you have encountered in an manned 88, but you are acting as if they are the proximity detonation 5" guns from the ships.  Dialing in the 88mm fuse range is far from automagic, not to mention the travel speed of the shells makes leading your target tough. 

Are you perhaps running Lancasters under radar, popping up, and getting slaughtered?  That's where I can see as a problem vs. the 88s.  Oh wait, a quick shot of machine guns or a well placed A2G rocket takes care of that for a few minutes.

And yes... I absolutely love jumping in an 88mm trying to knock people down be it a tank, bombers, or fighters... it's all quick fun for me.  Want to make it fun for you?  Destroy the guns, force my hand into avoiding the vulch.  I'll even take the "death score" if you knock me out... kill/death... feh!
88's can be extremely accurate.  I got shot down by the same guy at a port repeatedly trying to kill his gun.  One shot I was doing 500+ because my TA152 was compressing.

I checked the guys kills he had 300+ kills that month in Ship / Field gun. 

An expert at gunning.  It's not always simple to kill the 88 and they are annoying since even if you finally kill him you don't even get credited a kill.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2017, 08:46:11 AM »

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2017, 09:18:17 AM »
How exactly do you shoot an 88 not flying at him?

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »
For 88's firing at me I'll fly perpendicular to them while alternating my altitude as well, they have a very slow rate of turn and cant keep up.  Once i'm satisfied I'm well outside of its arc of fire I turn in to fire the kill shot.  I'm all for manned guns being upped in downtime to 20 or 30 minutes.  15 minutes is just so short when there are so many guns.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2017, 09:38:08 AM »
How exactly do you shoot an 88 not flying at him?

(I do believe once you manage to kill that player in the 88 that you deserve a kill, though.)

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »
I'd be happy if they got a scored death, I wouldn't count it as a kill though.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai