Author Topic: Dunkirk  (Read 9905 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: Dunkirk
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2017, 01:25:33 PM »
Yes.

Good! I read about this stuff and it makes me curious. So your saying that this film for instance was shot on superduper big frame film and then is digitized for editing and then printed on superduper big frame film to project right?

So if that is a given do you feel that there is no difference between printing on super duper vs projecting with whatever the standard digital projection in theaters give you? Or is it the other way around that projecting with the superduper film is still a class above from projecting with standard digital?

Is the hype about OMNIMAX really not accurate and the experience is different due to the stadium seating wrap around projection and not the mode of projection?

I assume most people are like me in terms of their perception and I can see crappy digital projection, (like a blueray at a small second run theater,) but I really don't think I could tell between top of the line equipment unless someone pointed it out, and the differences might not make one better than the other. Does this seem likely?

For film shot on film does 70mm or Omnimax capture more information per frame than digital? Despite reading various sources I still can't say for sure.

Pies not kicks.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2017, 08:28:39 PM »
It was an OK movie - I'm glad I saw it but won't be buying it.  The gliding Spitfire getting a kill was the final nail in the coffin of being able to suspend disbelief. 

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
Just saw it, 70mm non OMNIMAX. I was impressed. A couple clangers, the stuka getting shot by the spit at the end, the little boats all showing up tears in the eyes of Branaugh, those two did wreck my suspension of disbelief.

Otherwise I was very impressed, the handling of the non linear timeline was excellent, if you liked it even a little I recommend you watch Memento, I think it was his first movie.

The music score and sound I thought was really good, I understood about 10% of the dialog but the ticking and the dread of the score were quite effective and had an almost subliminal effect.

I can't imagine how much work it was to make without much CG, shooting on the water like this has got to be a real challenge, and the use of real boats and pushing an ancient French destroyer around with tugs....that all took real skill and hard work.

The flying scenes I thought were hands down the best I have ever seen. I saw an interview where Nolan said that they had a ton more of really good stuff but you can only use a little, they ought to cut together a short for spitfire geeks.

Like somebody else said I kept wanting to yell "shoot" when there was enough lead, (little trouble with the suspension of disbelief there, but I blame AH.)

Overall for you guys that didn't like it or felt Meh I'm genuinely sorry you didn't have the same experience that I did. I felt very emotional during the flying scenes, something about the fusion of flying which is so beautiful and hatred, (I really wanted the people in those 109s and Heinkels to die,) got me choked up.

As for historical inaccuracies in the gear, I didn't know enough for it to matter.
Pies not kicks.

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2017, 01:39:48 PM »
Seen it in theaters seen credit for "yak pilot."  Looks like one of the spits was actually a yak to make room for the big camera. 

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2017, 03:36:49 PM »
...The music score and sound I thought was really good, I understood about 10% of the dialog but the ticking and the dread of the score were quite effective and had an almost subliminal effect...

Agreed.  Excellent, effective score.   Here someone took a bit from Zimmer's score and set it to battle scenes from the 1969 movie "Battle of Britain":

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »
Seen it in theaters seen credit for "yak pilot."  Looks like one of the spits was actually a yak to make room for the big camera.

There's a shot of the Yak in this video at :31 that shows the spitfire cockpit mock-up in the forward position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yivl41NgXs

Also has some other cool shots of the real planes and models used in the film.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2017, 08:39:35 PM »
Agreed.  Excellent, effective score.   Here someone took a bit from Zimmer's score and set it to battle scenes from the 1969 movie "Battle of Britain"

I enjoyed that for about the first two minutes.  Gets monotonous after that.  Clever editing, though, thanks for the link.

- oldman

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »
I really enjoyed..good flick
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2017, 08:57:48 AM »
There's a shot of the Yak in this video at :31 that shows the spitfire cockpit mock-up in the forward position.

When folks are asking "How did this movie cost THIS much?!"

This video explains it lol.

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »
I kept expecting one of the lads on the small boat to ask, "Dad, aren't you worried about what will happen at Dunkirk?" To which Mark Rylance would widen his eyes and reply, "Would it help?!"

And when the Spit flew by I was thinking Rylance should have pointed and said, "Stoiki Mujzeek."

Sort of like in the film, Allied, where the Zemekis music started and I kept waiting for someone to shout, "Wilson!?!"

Anyway, the biggest "downer" in Dunkirk for me was at the end, when the Spit, OUT OF GAS, went up in major flames, and that Rolls Merlin engine was . . . a pole.   :O

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2017, 12:15:35 AM »

That is quite cool!