Author Topic: Lighting issues  (Read 3411 times)

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
Lighting issues
« on: August 23, 2017, 06:06:27 AM »
With the latest patch I noticed something as of yesterday:

When I am airborne in any plane, F1 cockpit view, the light changes with bringing up the clipboard.

To an extend where horizon gets fuzzy and very unattractive. Terrain mixes with sky, the lightning is way too bright to my opinion. Flying around with clipboard open is reducing this significant.
 Turning off lighting effect also helps but that was not the idea....

Made no changes on my rig, installed through Occulus library.

Running the recommended Nvidia settings from this board ( anti aliasing etc ) on a 1080. Win10 pro.

Anyone else noticed this?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:08:58 AM by McShark »
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Re: Lighting issues
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 02:34:06 PM »
Hi. Steam brought me back. Onto the issue.

I have the same phenomenon. The sky is very bright which causes a very distracting shimmering at the horizon. As soon as I bring up the clipboard the bright light goes low and I see haze at the horizon. That phenomenon stops after sundown.

Turning post-processing lightning on and off does not have any impact.

Running a GTX1080 and Vive.
Real men fly Radial!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:53:06 PM »
May need to adjust settings in Nvidia control panel. Those changes how ever have a few steps involved though. As I understand it, you make the changes and with VR it is "PORT SPECIFIC" meaning you make adjustments and then plug in Rift to the slot that the monitor was plugged into to set them in VR. The new slot the monitor is plugged into will be unchanged
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 03:34:46 PM »
I'll try and repoduce, any help with offline testing (so it's repeatable) would be apreciated.

To set time (for dusk) is the .time Hour Min SpeedMultiplier (with spaces in between the 3 numbers)

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 04:04:06 PM »
I had it happen last night online, workaround is to leave the clipboard up.  It also happens offline in the training arena.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:34:34 PM by hyzer »
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 11:54:47 PM »
NOPE! I see no difference with clipboard  being up. Then again I am running absolutely ZERO anti aliasing,whether smaa or other. Nvidia and the ingame settings. Maybe that could be the issue? :headscratch:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 02:33:06 AM »
I'll try and repoduce, any help with offline testing (so it's repeatable) would be apreciated.

To set time (for dusk) is the .time Hour Min SpeedMultiplier (with spaces in between the 3 numbers)

On my end it is basically switch on and it runs like this.

Arena time was before dusk. It becomes less noticeable with sun settling towards darkness.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 03:35:16 AM »
NOPE! I see no difference with clipboard  being up. Then again I am running absolutely ZERO anti aliasing,whether smaa or other. Nvidia and the ingame settings. Maybe that could be the issue? :headscratch:

No antialising on my end either. But I cranked up the supersampling in the Steam VR control panel to 2.6 or so.
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 05:59:44 AM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,388859.0.html

That makes total sense - no? Explains the strange shimmering and increased brightness.
Real men fly Radial!

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 06:49:51 AM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,388859.0.html

That makes total sense - no? Explains the strange shimmering and increased brightness.

Feels like it... will have to check tonight....

Running a Rift so dunno how much this effects both devices?
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »
I have it with my DK2 - if I put away my clipboard, on my Oculus - the left eyepiece stops receiving haze while the right is fine. The right is good. If I bring back the clipboard, the issue goes away - so does when I see smoke from my engine starting, or if I'm landing and my wheel brakes engage - the issue goes away. Very weird bug.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 03:05:29 PM »
Same thing with my rift, map up is fine. Map gone one eye(right) is good, left eye funky.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »
Dang,even when I am normal(everything works) I am still odd :furious LOL Only other thing I did with rift was to change the color pallet and Digital Vibrance and Gamma? On the color I went 343 on the slider,gamma .9. May have just colored it out maybe. I just want to fit in!! lol

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »
When you bring the CLIPBOARD up, where do you see it? Right in front, left,right on wing...The clipboard will cast a shadow, depending on time of day, sun position ect. Maybe thats it? I put my clipboard on right wing so If I do want it open all the time It is out of the way.  I cant replicate a lighting difference with Shadows and REFLECTIONS on and then put Clipboard on same side of cockpit as the sun. Thats the only way I saw any change as described.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 04:42:39 PM »
I think it's the same bug I posted screenshots of.