Author Topic: What's going on with this?  (Read 9010 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: What's going on with this?
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »
Some explanations:

As you know, even liquid cooling needs fans. The main difference between air and liquid cooling is that the latter sends the hot stuff to another location to be cooled. However, the air used for cooling is still as warm as the inside of your case. If you want cooler than the surrounding air, you'd need a compressor like the one in a refrigerator, or a temperature exchange system like in an air conditioner. The best air coolers are as efficient as liquid coolers and they have less components to potentially fail. And they can be even quieter!

This explains the difference between Z170 and Z270: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z270-vs-Z170-What-is-the-Difference-877/. As you can read in the article, there's other letters involved, too. However, since you have chosen an overclockable processor, you'd obviously want a motherboard that supports overclocking. The Z270 is newer and as you can see it has more pci-e lanes. As it reads, that's no big deal. The new SSD disks and connectors are agreeably much faster than the previous ones, but you can't see the difference in daily use.

For RAM, no matter how much you get it, get it in pairs. 2x8 GB for starters, or 2x16 if you so wish, leaving two slots empty for future expansion. That's because of Dual Channel technology: One RAM stick can be written onto while the other is being read.

Yet one thing about SSD's: If they break there's very little to do to get the data back. Spinners can often be read and saved using another computer and the platters can even be transferred to a working drive if the motor stops spinning. Your habit of using an external storage is good practice and much cheaper than any data recovery operations.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »
I didn't go with a SSD because when I was researching the VR platform (Oculus Rift), I found that Oculus doesn't recommend running their software from an SSD, (I don't remember the reason.). The Oculus program has to be installed on the same drive as the O.S. or at least it did a few weeks ago. I don't know if there is a work around for that or not. I know that there was one so the games don't have to be on the same drive as the O.S. So I just went with a single large HDD. I always have the option of adding an SSD if I really need windows to load in .5 secs.

I don't know if any of this applies to the Vive. I'm not familiar enough with the Vive to say.

I only throw this out here because you said you were considering VR.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »
Thanks SIK1!  Good info.

So, to be sure I understand, you say that if my OS is on a boot SSD, Aces High could be installed on the HDD?  If so, I was never aware of that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 08:33:46 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2017, 01:09:17 AM »
That's correct. Aces High doesn't care where on your PC it's installed.

My current game PC has an MSI Z270 GAMING M3 motherboard. The price varies and is sometimes lower than the Z170 M3. Either board will work but you may as well get the Z270 chipset since the price is close. It's the first time I've used MSI and I've had no problems with it but there are other MB's with the same chipset so you have many choices.

I have an I7 and a 1080Ti but you can save some $ with an I5-7600K and it should suffice for the 1070 video card.
With the I5 you can use Win7 or Win10. The Oculus Rift likes Win10 more than Win7 but works with either one.

You probably only need 8GB RAM so 16 is already more than enough. 32 is extra heat and energy use you don't need.

I've used liquid cooling for years and I see less need for it now. You're just putting fans on the radiator instead of the water block and the loud fans are on the video card not the CPU. If your video card fans aren't loud it's probably running too hot.

There are good case designs with plenty of fans for air cooling. I like a big case that's easy to open and work in.

My 650W Seasonic PS seems fine for my I7 and 1080. I doubt you need anything bigger.

Let us know what you decide on and don't hesitate to ask questions.   :salute

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2017, 09:14:05 AM »
Thanks FLS!  Great info and considerations.  A spent two hours at a local shop discussing options with future upgrade in mind and overbuilding a bit to that end.  They are building up my rig and it should be ready on Wednesday.  Among the set up will be an I7 (Z270), 16 gb, no liquid cooling, 270 gb SSD, 1TB HDD, and single 1070 graphics card.

Again, FLS, SIK1, Bizman for your patience with my "I don't know what I don't know" questions and valuable input on this next rig.  I love to learn something new every day.  This experience has certainly filled that bill.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2017, 01:40:54 PM »
Happy to help Puma.   :cheers:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2017, 01:48:55 AM »
It's always a pleasure.  :cheers:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni