Author Topic: M3 Effectiveness.....  (Read 32071 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: M3 Effectiveness.....
« Reply #345 on: October 25, 2017, 09:12:08 PM »

The attackers had plenty of heavy planes to keep the VH in check (mostly), and enough to run a few bombs and rockets into town now and then, but couldn't have one of them fly low from town to spawn looking for resuppliers?  Hard to fathom.

I believe for one part of that A10 assault I was there upping from the CV. This is kind of a simplistic view of dealing with M3's since the passes so close to the ground to find them, then return to shoot them, very often result in the cons defending the base killing you. And then M3's keep on delivering while you and your countrymen just gave up kills for no good reason. So then you would need air cover for the M3 hunters while most players are just skilled enough to fight the defenders but, out of their league threading through defenders to only target M3's and not get shot down. I've delivered supplies to town under those circumstances and it was for the most part a cake walk to get there. The new trees and clutter are an M3's best friend. Another reason why on my terrains I place a grass buffer around towns, just about all terrains but mine have groves of trees or bushes right up to the town.

Hitech could increase the GV icon range to make running M3's as dangerous as flying fighters since they have a much greater impact on outcomes with a single box of supplies than a single fighter. Or he could only allow town resupply to bring up the guns and nothing else. That would be much more equitable to all the players risking something fighting over the capture. Otherwise have we now become a new class of victims once someone wants to start a fight to capture our field that needs invisible help to have a level playing feild in a combat game?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Lyme

• Zinc Member
« Reply #346 on: October 25, 2017, 10:02:09 PM »
I would be just as content to see in-flight GV icon range increased as I would seeing tweeks to village object downtimes.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #347 on: October 25, 2017, 11:16:02 PM »
Yes, but then all the TWINBOOMS,and GT101's in the game will get banned for cursing out every one like me, for dropping bombs on them, every 3 minutes. Trust me, that is bad enough now...DONT WANT ANY WORSE. I have no problem seeing GVs. Usually the M3s really trying to save a base, dont stop to hide, they keep rolling  :x So, it would only exacerbate the hate PMs and not help at all. I get those A LOT :banana:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #348 on: October 26, 2017, 03:13:00 AM »
Well, not sure where this fits into the conversation but, an example of base defense that was noted today.  Had just enough working as a team to take out VH, deack the town, destroy town buildings (white flagged), have troops waiting, and control the airfield.  Everything done within minutes, as the troops were going into the maproom, town was resupplied and a T34 rolled up next to the flag.

Why is the effort necessary to capture so lopsided?  Don't wish to hear any balogna about how that it is not, or that we should have had another imaginary friend to pork two VH's at the same time. 

Maybe the answer lies with increasing Vehicle downtimes to 30 minutes.   :headscratch:

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #349 on: October 26, 2017, 05:29:30 AM »
Well said.
The people who whine the loudest about m3s resupping towns have a strong tendency to be good fighter pilots who are annoyed that people aren't upping out of a capped base in order to get shot down. M3 type players care about whether bases get taken or not, and usually upping from another base and trying to save the day from it won't work: there isn't time. M3s often if not usually PROLONG a fight instead of shorten it--don't know if the whiners are willfully ignorant about that or what.
Nerf m3 resup and what will happen? The people who care will mostly give the base up as a lost cause and go somewhere else because there isn't anything they can do to prevent it. This is likely to cause hording to increase and base takes to become much easier, which will, again, subtract instead of add to the combat aspect of this game.
The good fighter pilots tell you to take off from the next field, not the one being vulched.

M3 resupply does make the fight longer, but it makes a bad fight longer. Making the town pop up does not remove the CAP - coming in from another field with some energy can potentially remove the CAP - and that is a much better fight whether the effort succeeds or not.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #350 on: October 26, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »
The good fighter pilots tell you to take off from the next field, not the one being vulched.

:aok
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #351 on: October 26, 2017, 10:11:17 AM »
I'm ok with low range icons on GV, as long as GV's dont have any range icons on my plane.
Its effectively a one-sided computer aided gunsight today.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #352 on: October 26, 2017, 10:52:22 AM »
Well said.
The people who whine the loudest about m3s resupping towns have a strong tendency to be good fighter pilots who are annoyed that people aren't upping out of a capped base in order to get shot down. M3 type players care about whether bases get taken or not, and usually upping from another base and trying to save the day from it won't work: there isn't time. M3s often if not usually PROLONG a fight instead of shorten it--don't know if the whiners are willfully ignorant about that or what.
Nerf m3 resup and what will happen? The people who care will mostly give the base up as a lost cause and go somewhere else because there isn't anything they can do to prevent it. This is likely to cause hording to increase and base takes to become much easier, which will, again, subtract instead of add to the combat aspect of this game.
I watch all you godly base takers leave base attacks as soon as someone says town is popping so don't give me that crap that resupply prolongs fights .

I'm the loudest "whiner" and I'm the guy who is either heavy hitting the field or flying passed it to engage the high fighters coming in from further fields....because that is currently where the best fight is at. I've had plenty of 8+ kill sorties without vulching but damn near, trust me putting up numbers like that isn't what I find enjoyable, my most memorable sorties I died.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #353 on: October 26, 2017, 11:17:58 AM »
I watch all you godly base takers leave base attacks as soon as someone says town is popping so don't give me that crap that resupply prolongs fights .

I'm the loudest "whiner" and I'm the guy who is either heavy hitting the field or flying passed it to engage the high fighters coming in from further fields....because that is currently where the best fight is at. I've had plenty of 8+ kill sorties without vulching but damn near, trust me putting up numbers like that isn't what I find enjoyable, my most memorable sorties I died.
Junky you are arguing with a clueless armchair general that is perfectly safe at 35,000 feet.    :bhead
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #354 on: October 26, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »
Between this and the Manned gun thread the tone has turned for the worse, so M3's are out check, Manned guns are out check, 35000 feet is out check, you guys need to learn how to fight right in the middle where they want you.
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 26, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
35000 feet is out check

We honored that rule yesterday and stayed below 35K  :old:

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #356 on: October 26, 2017, 12:56:01 PM »

1 Milk run in a bomber, 1 base capture in a C47, 3 base captures in a vehicle with 1 town destroyed in an M4 rocket tank, drop 1 1K bomb on a full up CV from a Jabbo with a couple of GV and a couple of air kills.  Use a P47 to straff a few buildings to get my accuracy up.  Fly 262's for fighter ranked scores and shoot down a few buffs.

So no base captures this month, and I just did my first two fighter sorties last night.  I dropped 600 ranks overnight from those two sorties and am now in the top 100 Pilots!

I'M SO EPIC!!!!    :joystick:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #357 on: October 26, 2017, 12:58:48 PM »
Between this and the Manned gun thread the tone has turned for the worse, so M3's are out check, Manned guns are out check, 35000 feet is out check, you guys need to learn how to fight right in the middle where they want you.

Lower than the middle.  We must all fly something from mid war, below 5k and never do anything other than fight until we die.  These are the rules of the Good Player(TM).  Everything else is bad, and bad for the game, and you should feel bad for doing it.

:rolleyes:

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #358 on: October 26, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »
HELLO the 35,000 foot comment was directed at specific armchair general who is usually 5 sectors up and 5 sectors away from the action he is trying to direct.  Yeeesh everybody is so sensitive.  :bolt:
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #359 on: October 26, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »
Ive given up on these supply and manned guns threads..

I will quietly log off knowing in the back of my mind the types of huge battles that took place before these things killed them off.

I play 1 day a week if im lucky.  What would I know.  Im a skilless vulching gangbanging dweeb.

My last suggestion is to put a video on steam of a stream of m3s driving in formation into town to save the day..

For 14.95 a month you can join the convoy!  Maybe a set of low lancs carpet bombing them to show how dangerous it really is.