Author Topic: Why did Dolby get a ban?  (Read 9808 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Why did Dolby get a ban?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 01:39:36 PM »
MrRee: PS it occurred to me you may have not read the review.

I can say he was one of the guys who would defend AH to others outside of the AH community but inside the circle of his peers he is honest about his stance on topics.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993632034/recommended/651090/

What part of this review in any way is defending Aces High to outsiders?

HiTech

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 01:49:01 PM »
I read some of those steam reviews and they sound a little unhinged. To me this sounds like a problem of boundaries. People sometimes think that playing AH and really really liking AH means they have a right to control what happens with the game. The fact is that paying a few thousand dollars in subscription fees over several years does not equal creating and maintaining this game. I don't think it requires much In the way of perception to realize how UNIQUE this game is and I personally have a hard time imagining that it is that lucrative to run compared to the amount of effort involved given the skills required.

The path to hell is paved with players desires to improve the game. Every peanut in this gallery has a MASTER PLAN that they feel free to bloviate on and that is all well and good. The mistake that a small number of people make is in thinking their enthusiasm entitles them to something bigger than merely the right to play the game, they begin to confuse use with ownership.  For a still smaller number that confusion apparently leads to tantrums. It really is a shame but I think it is just part of human nature.

There is nothing wrong with leaving a "Meh" review or being critical about things you don't like about the game however, the level of aggrievement that some people express is indicative of a level of emotional engagement that isn't really appropriate. It says something, I think, about the dark side of a game that enables you to experience flight, that primal desire, so well. Combined with the satisfaction of another primal drive, that of hunting or even killing, playing this game must do SOMETHING in the area of brain chemistry that can make it consuming to a degree that isn't entirely healthy for some individuals' emotional well being.

It is a little tragic in a way and while it is easy enough to say "GO OUTSIDE FOR GODS SAKE!" from the outside, I have seen at least one apparently well adjusted player who clearly had difficulty regulating his game play and had to give up this game which he clearly loved.

So I guess I'm saying that I am not surprised to see slightly kooky snarling from some players ex or current, and my advice to them is to try to get a hold of themselves.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 01:51:15 PM »
pembquist, with a game like Aces High it makes people passionate about the game, the history, the memories you got from flying with squaddies 5 years ago in a massive scenario formation.

It says something that even our discontent minority are that passionate about it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 02:04:59 PM »
Spanish Civil War.  :cool:

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »
 :aok

One of HTC devs ( and HT's good friend) just passed and you guys are discussing why some loudmouth got banned ? How about giving it a rest for few weeks ?
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »
Once again, pembquist, you put it so well.  :salute

i just wait till after you post so i can agree with you and save myself some typing.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
One thing many people fail to realize is HT is not some huge organization with a lot programmers etc. It still amazes me after all the years I have been playing that just a small handful of people in a small office can run this game with the efficiency they do. Game has been down only a handful of time over the 12 years I have played and the cost has never gone up even with the smaller player base I find that in itself amazing as the cost of everything increases over time. I do not always agree with  with everything but I just play the game and have fun. I hear the word cheating a lot, I don't know if people cheat or not, does not make any difference to me, if they do, that says something about their lack of character and that is their problem. If I get shot down I always get a new airplane. I play to have fun, If I want to take flying  seriously I will go fly my real life RV-6 and do real aerobatics.  :bolt:
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 03:20:52 PM »
Dolby has always been critical of HTC and Aces High.  He is one of the Founders of Flame Warriors a website that has a forum section 

Not even close to the truth, Dolby did not join FW until nearly 5 and a half years after it opened and is not a frequent poster.  As for the section of the site being "dedicated to smearing Aces high, the developers, the players, etc."  Also not true.  It is a discussion section and a lot of updated about development are also posted.  There are a number of FW frequent posters who are current players and they really enjoy it and post about it. 
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »
He is one of the Founders of Flame Warriors a website that has a forum section dedicated to smearing Aces high, the developers, the players, etc. .

Dolby has nothing to do with Flame Warriors other than be a registered member, he is not "one of the founders".  Nor does Flame Warriors have a forum section dedicated to "smearing" Aces High, the developers, players, etc. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
Dolby has nothing to do with Flame Warriors other than be a registered member, he is not "one of the founders".  Nor does Flame Warriors have a forum section dedicated to "smearing" Aces High, the developers, players, etc. 
:aok

It's more of a section to have an opinion without it being edited.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 03:42:58 PM »
My take on flamewarrior has always been, there was a contingency of people on this board who wanted to have a place they could talk about anything and everything with impunity.  So one of the guys started flamewarrior for that purpose.

As far as I know there has never been bad blood between flamewarrior and HTC.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 04:02:47 PM »
My take on flamewarrior has always been, there was a contingency of people on this board who wanted to have a place they could talk about anything and everything with impunity.  So one of the guys started flamewarrior for that purpose.

As far as I know there has never been bad blood between flamewarrior and HTC.

This is all true.  So are the previous few posts about that other place.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »
Gentlemen, I have been corrected about Flame warrior's origins.   Thank you. 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 06:06:15 PM »
Gentlemen, I have been corrected about Flame warrior's origins.   Thank you.

Classy response.  Well said.  :salute
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 06:07:56 PM »
Because he deserved it.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54