Author Topic: Current sighting ranges?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Current sighting ranges?
« on: September 06, 2017, 04:30:53 PM »
What are the current icon sighting ranges in AH3?  A link would be good, or at minimum, what are the ranges for stationary GV icons and moving GV icons, sighted from the air?

Thanks in advance,
MH

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Current sighting ranges?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 05:18:29 PM »
You can find all those ranges in arena settings, 'ranges' tab. All distances are given in feet, stationary vehicles have their icon ranges halved. The Fi-156 goes by "observer".
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:39:38 AM »
Someone claimed yesterday that engine off further reduces GV sighting range.  Is this correct, and if so, by how much?

MH

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »
Someone claimed yesterday that engine off further reduces GV sighting range.  Is this correct, and if so, by how much?

MH
it does, gv engine off 600ft. and that's if the tree is not very big..some of these trees are modeled after real trees like the African Umbrella tree, large flat canopy narrow trunk-real good tree to hide under. if gv engine running and moving 1000ft
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:40:37 PM by lunatic1 »
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 02:08:56 PM »
ok call me dumb--where do I find arena settings?
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »
Clipboard/ options /arena setup /environment /arena settings.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 01:26:34 PM »
it does, gv engine off 600ft. and that's if the tree is not very big..some of these trees are modeled after real trees like the African Umbrella tree, large flat canopy narrow trunk-real good tree to hide under. if gv engine running and moving 1000ft

It's about 600 yards stationary, and about 1250 yards moving from a non-Storch AC, based on typical on-line arena settings, and Lusche's comment in this thread, and offline observation of stationary GV targets.  I haven't seen any proof that engine-off makes any difference (except to a listening AC).  If you have any, I'd of course be interested. 

MH
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 01:50:45 PM by TDeacon »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
just for clarification, in YOUR statement, "I haven't seen any proof that engine-off makes any difference" you are meaning in an AIRCRAFT? Since you mentioned except in listening AC. Correct, AC's engine on or off has no effect on Vehicle Icon ranges,to my experience. You may however be able to HEAR a motor or track sounds,with AC motor off-IF close enough and slow enough so as not to get WIND NOISE in AC. I have heard of other GVers turning up "others engine" sounds and turning down "own engine"sounds to hear enemy GVs, but has no effect on ICON ranges As I understand it,with vehicles, ENGINE ON is treated as MOVING as far as Icon ranges go.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 02:22:21 PM »
If you notice when you sit under trees, you will lose airplane icons when they get close to the trees above you in your field of view.  You can still see the actual plane, but no icon.  It works the same the other way.  If you find an extremely dense tree canopy and hide under it, the ability for a plane and even a storch to locate you with your engine off becomes very difficult.  Sometimes they may get an icon at a certain angle and sometimes not.  I have been just above treetop level in a storch and flew right over the engine off gv and couldn't see him under the tree canopy.  I have had to resort to filming, checking the film to find the gv at times.
"One-Eye"

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 10:57:04 PM »
just for clarification, in YOUR statement, "I haven't seen any proof that engine-off makes any difference" you are meaning in an AIRCRAFT? Since you mentioned except in listening AC. Correct, AC's engine on or off has no effect on Vehicle Icon ranges,to my experience. You may however be able to HEAR a motor or track sounds,with AC motor off-IF close enough and slow enough so as not to get WIND NOISE in AC. I have heard of other GVers turning up "others engine" sounds and turning down "own engine"sounds to hear enemy GVs, but has no effect on ICON ranges As I understand it,with vehicles, ENGINE ON is treated as MOVING as far as Icon ranges go.

Your interpretation of my meaning is correct.  BTW, I don't think you can listen for other GVs when your engine is on, regardless of what you do with your "own" engine sounds slider.  Try it. 

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »
Your interpretation of my meaning is correct.  BTW, I don't think you can listen for other GVs when your engine is on, regardless of what you do with your "own" engine sounds slider.  Try it.

You absolutely can, I do it all the time...However it is fairly subtle.  Max out the other engine and have yours at 5 or less.

Cheers,

- Rodent57
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 03:18:19 PM »
You absolutely can, I do it all the time...However it is fairly subtle.  Max out the other engine and have yours at 5 or less.

Cheers,

- Rodent57
:aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain