Author Topic: Pimax 8k  (Read 722 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Pimax 8k
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:33:16 PM »
Yes, I realize it's not a true 8k, but it will have 200 FOV, and it's an example of VR tech moving forward, albeit in baby steps.  It works in some sims already according to some other forums.  New video on "Tested"'s Youtube channel today covering it.  Interesting, I wonder what Occulus has coming up in a higher res version of the Rift, they certainly must be working on something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuVWs9IZIvk

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
Re: Pimax 8k
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
I signed up for one. Supposedly due in January? We'll see.

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »
Unfortunately, we're more limited by PC hardware than by the technology itself.  There's no reason we can't already have an 8k per eye VR headset if the graphics cards could run those resolutions on 2x8K screens @ 90fps each.  One day though, the resolutions will catch up to the point where any higher resolution won't be noticeable, and that is when VR will be scary good!!  I cant wait to play Aces High in 10-15 years.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 07:37:26 AM »
Unfortunately, we're more limited by PC hardware than by the technology itself.  There's no reason we can't already have an 8k per eye VR headset if the graphics cards could run those resolutions on 2x8K screens @ 90fps each.  One day though, the resolutions will catch up to the point where any higher resolution won't be noticeable, and that is when VR will be scary good!!  I cant wait to play Aces High in 10-15 years.

The Kickstarter page also has an 8kx which they warn requires a 1080ti or maybe a next generation card but they claim there is no difference in game play between 8k and 8kx?

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:55:11 AM »
I don't know, that's above my head.  The 1080ti can't even run 2 screens @ 90fps at 1440p, let alone 4k or 8k!  Especially if you want to turn eye candy up.  We're just not there yet.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline jskibo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »
Got in on the early bird 8k.  Will be nice to have a little more FOV

I have triple 43" 4k monitors for my desktop.  Nothing really drives that in any sim / game without playing in non native res, or scaling back the eye candy a whole lot
Jacque in AH3
Jacque in WB
Jacque in WWIIOL