Author Topic: VF-6 Wildcat  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
VF-6 Wildcat
« on: September 15, 2017, 02:45:47 PM »
Thanks to Lyric1 for finding me the info for this skin. The original aircraft was an F4F-3 which I have skinned on the F4F-4 shape.

Repeated incidents of friendly fire from Army and Navy gunners caused the USN to increase both the number and size of identifying markings on their aircraft during the first six months of the Pacific war. This policy was carried to its furthest extreme on the aircraft of the USS Enterprise in early 1942. After almost being shot down by fleet gunners while coming into land VF-6's CO Lt J. S. Gray complained to Admiral Halsey. The next day the Enterprise's aircraft were repainted with the largest national markings that could fit on their wings.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: VF-6 Wildcat
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »
Amazing job, colors look right on to me.

Interesting story, I don't know why they wouldn't have painted over the entire wingtop insignia but it certainly looks authentic, esp. the difference in the weathering of the deep blue.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:31:33 PM »
Very nice!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 05:10:55 PM »
That's slick  :aok
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 05:43:29 PM »
How did the USN resolve such a huge miss-identification problem so that the NAVY air wing felt secure to move onto the later markings and color schemes?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 06:00:47 PM »
In mid-May of 42 the USN ordered all the red removed from their markings in the belief that this colour was being mis-identified as the Japanese Hinomaru. This decision was popular with many pilots who felt the previous bright markings ruined the camouflage of their planes. However later tests found that it was very hard to identify the colour of markings at distance and that shape was far more important. This led in 1943 to the two bars being added to the US star marking.

I imagine that improved gunner training as well as radar linking with the IFF transmitters carried in planes probably helped to reduce friendly fire as well.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:04:58 PM by Greebo »

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »
Why are the wing images covered up on the first one? Is that how it was suppose to be?
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 08:54:23 PM »
Why are the wing images covered up on the first one? Is that how it was suppose to be?

Yes.  I remember a photo of Wildcats and SBDs on deck.  Many of them had this configuration. 

Nice job Greebo.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 10:59:43 PM »
How did the USN resolve such a huge miss-identification problem so that the NAVY air wing felt secure to move onto the later markings and color schemes?

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 01:13:23 AM »
 :aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 10:47:26 PM »

Here's one phono as an example. 

http://www.asisbiz.com/usn/CV-6-USS-Enterprise/images/Grumman-F4F-4-Wildcat-VF-6-6F2-USS-Enterprise-1942-02.jpg

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 01:12:19 PM »
What amazes me is that the F4F,F6F,F4U aircraft look NOTHING like any Japanese aircraft - even remotely close in shape or profile. Were the AAA gunners just stupid or trigger happy?

vs

I mean, come on!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:14:00 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »
Instead of approaching it from a perfect orientation you are privileged to 70 years later. The friendly fire problems were at the very beginning of the Pacific war before anyone was forced to toss their pre-war assumptions and take a real look at the mistakes real people were making due to them. Early war crews trained by pre-war procedures. BoB and rifle caliber machine guns harmonized 400-600 comes to mind. Early NAVY aviation experts believed the Pacific air war would only matter by shooting down bombers. So fighter harmonization patterns were focused at 600yds and as scattered as possible to chew up bombers. Even as late as the first Jug missions into the ETO, allied gunners shot at them thinking they were 190s.

We know from today that individuals without specific training fail shooter tests under the stress of the test. If both a zero and a wildcat have a radial engine, the gunners only know it sounds radial. Markings don't come into play at max range for defense cannons, most planes in motion at a distance look one color. Did all gun positions in fleets early on have a dedicated spotter glassing the incoming for identification? Or was that simple addition to each battery a result of human nature running over pre-war assumptions about men in combat?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.