Author Topic: Mustang Flaps - A Closer Look  (Read 1076 times)

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Mustang Flaps - A Closer Look
« on: September 25, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
This is one of those areas where many of us have stuck with the default skin's rendering (starting in my case with the previous default "WHO FLUNG DUNG").

I can understand why this was done because the flap gap mirrors itself onto the trailing edge of the wing.    Here are some sample shots of what I'm talking about.   My skinning on this is EXTREMELY rudimentary because I'm wanting to point out the mirroring.   It's basically impossible to recreate the real thing because of the way the skin is rendered.    Is it worth it to ignore the phenomenon and get as close as possible?

Apologies for the lighting.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:42:14 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Mustang Flaps - A Closer Look
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 11:12:14 AM »
Here is the default for comparison.

”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 11:37:19 AM »
I think if its worth it to you, its worth it.  I would be interested to see how that section looks in game with high spec/high power/high environment map values applied.

Wouldn't a surface such is this - part of an operating, moving part - only be shiny in a museum or meticulously maintained restored warbird though?   In an actual combat plane, it would more likely be weathered to the point where no mirroring/reflections remain, and instead have dirt/grease stains present?

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 11:41:45 AM »
I think if its worth it to you, its worth it.  I would be interested to see how that section looks in game with high spec/high power/high environment map values applied.

Wouldn't a surface such is this - part of an operating, moving part - only be shiny in a museum or meticulously maintained restored warbird though?   In an actual combat plane, it would more likely be weathered to the point where no mirroring/reflections remain, and instead have dirt/grease stains present?

The mirroring is a function of the skin.    Whatever you put on the flap gap is mirrored and duplicated on the trailing wing "spar" (for lack of a better term).

As for what it would do IRL, the flap movement would tend to polish the metal in places.  How much and where are the question.   Without looking at one up close as it moves I couldn't tell you one way or the other.    :salute

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:36:40 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:44:12 PM »
It's difficult making it look right because it is a curved object rendered as a square.  An improvement in my opinion, though.   Not sure I can solve the curve issue fully.  This is still a work in progress...

New version in each pic is the top screenshot.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:49:47 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -