Author Topic: Samsung Odyssey coming soon. Better than Rift and Vive?  (Read 4688 times)

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
Re: Samsung Odyssey coming soon. Better than Rift and Vive?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 07:19:39 PM »
Any update on the samsung odyssey and how well it works with AH? The specs seem competitive.

Here you go,

https://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-odyssey-plus-price-anti-sde-display/

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 07:42:05 PM »
Odyssey+ on sale for 299$. Went for it because it had higher resolution than the other headsets. Will be curious to see how well VR works!

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 10:08:46 PM »
Odyssey+ on sale for 299$. Went for it because it had higher resolution than the other headsets. Will be curious to see how well VR works!
will be looking forward to hearing how you like it atlau.   :aok

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 11:51:48 AM »
I've been using the regular Odyssey for a while, sold all the Vives and kept one Rift after getting the Samsung.  Picked up the Odyssey + about 10 days ago, I've been really impressed with it.  It fits me a bit better, the materials around your face seem to make it got less warm/steamy, and the screen door effect is pretty much gone, I've only seen it a few time and then it was very hard to notice compared to before.  The price is insane right now.  They sold out in Canada but the store up here restocked today and I ordered another one. 

IMO either Samsung for their current sale prices is the best deal in VR out there.  The Rift is easier to live and work with still, the "sweet spot" is easier to find and keep in place with the Rift, but the extra resolution is worth it for me with the Odysseys.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 04:50:48 PM »
Gman if you dont mind my asking why do you have so many systems? Are you in the pc business?

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2018, 01:39:22 PM »
In the PC business so far as I got sick of the business of having nieces and nephews (3 kids total usually) scream and fight over who got which machine/vr/etc when they stay with us every 2nd week for 4 or 5 days.  So when I upgraded my primary system in 2016 instead of flipping the old system I kept it, and built one more, which gives me 3.  Add in a gaming laptop or 2, and a couple home theater PCs...

Now whenever something faster or newer and shiny comes out, I upgrade usually and just flip the old parts.  I also have been collecting HOTAS since the 90s, and buy all the new controls that come out as well, most of them anyway.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 01:42:07 PM by Gman »

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 09:34:11 AM »
So is the Odyssey working in AHIII? Atlau?
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 10:45:41 AM »
Had an ordering issue and ended up with the regular odyssey vs the +. Planning on returning it and i think ill still go buy the + later since the screen door effect should be reduced and i read the tracking is better.

It works but heres some thoughts. The detail/resolution isnt nearly as good so hunting gvs is virtually impossible and setting up longer range shots is much more difficult. Also there can be noticeable lag when rolling the plane or moving your head quickly even with the graphics settings turned down (running a 1070 ti).

Sometimes during violent head movements i find myself having to recenter the view. Not sure if this is a problem for the oculus crowd.

Where vr is awesome is in turning fights where you can much more easily visualize the opponents turn circle making it easier for you to pull just the right amount to follow without pulling too hard and getting jammed which is easier to do on a normal monitor.

Overall the immersion factor does make it more *fun* even if i definitely feel like ive lost some SA and am less lethal as a result. After all in real life you couldnt sweep your head 360 deg in seconds!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 02:12:13 PM »
There are some great headsets out there and more coming, but none of them have the quality of software the Rift does and that is a shame.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »
Skuzzy when you mean software do you mean other games or applications or the drivers that run the headset?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 08:43:36 PM »
The drivers for the headset.  Rift still is the best.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 10:03:41 PM »
Other than the rift, what headsets would you recommend? Are there upcoming ones that you know of that you think might be worth waiting for?

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »
I received my Odyssey Plus yesterday.

I tried messing with it in game and the text on the clipboard looked HORRID.  in game looked pretty good but CTRL I was showing I was only getting 43 FPS  :headscratch:  Are there any options to change settings regarding the HMD res?

I had similar poor performance in Elite Dangerous.  In order to get the same frame rate as the rift I had the set the resolution considerably lower than the rift.

Either this is just the consequence of being an early adopter or I am doing something wrong.

Sys Specs/bench

UserBenchmark results
UserBenchmarks: Game 119%, Desk 96%, Work 66%
CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K - 101.7%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 147.6%
SSD: Intel Raid 0 Volume 480GB - 99.7%
USB: StoreJet Transcend 1TB - 44.4%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 93.3%
MBD: Asrock Z270 Killer SLI/ac
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:57:54 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 05:11:18 PM »
Strange. I had a 1070 ti that was generally doing 90 hz with odyssey but i greatly reduced details to make it happen.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 10:08:35 PM »
I messed with it some more and the low framerate seems to only occur when looking at an airfield.

just flying over regular terrain the FR stays at 80+.

I tried disabling some effects but the gain in FPS was minimal.  I fixed my issue with elete dangerous, that was a SteamVR thing, so it -CAN- work fine.  just takes some fiddling