Author Topic: Samsung Odyssey coming soon. Better than Rift and Vive?  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Samsung Odyssey coming soon. Better than Rift and Vive?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 07:15:09 AM »
Generally speaking, you will find the SteamVR headsets to not be as smooth as the Rift.  It is just the nature of the beast.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 09:50:36 AM »
I messed with it some more and the low framerate seems to only occur when looking at an airfield.

just flying over regular terrain the FR stays at 80+.

I tried disabling some effects but the gain in FPS was minimal.  I fixed my issue with elete dangerous, that was a SteamVR thing, so it -CAN- work fine.  just takes some fiddling

Heck even non VR my framerate gets cut in half near lots of clouds and simetimes at airfields

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 09:59:55 AM »
Make sure you have usbs at max performance. Seems to be what helped mine the mostly.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2018, 10:58:13 AM »
Make sure you have usbs at max performance. Seems to be what helped mine the mostly.

I would think the USB is for tracking and audio only but ill double check that.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2018, 11:22:02 AM »
I would think the USB is for tracking and audio only but ill double check that.
Yeah me too. But when I changed my usb performance seemed to help the fps drop around airfields and cvs for some reason. Also fewer stutters it seems.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2018, 11:47:49 AM »
You know now that you mention it, and Im seeing this in Elite dangerous as well.  the studdering/fps drops only occur when I am moving..  I.E. my perspective is changing.

For example, in elite dangerous, if I'm sitting looking at a station, the station rotation, the ships going in and out and passing by, its all smooth as glass.  the studdering only occurs when I begin moving my ship, and its not the objectes themselves but the scene in relation to my view.. if that makes sense.

Im going to give that a shot... as soon as I remember where that setting is.

EDIT:  ok well dammit where do you change that? :bhead
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:01:22 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »
Window 10 it’s in the power management area. Type usb hub in search bar then choose the power management option. Sorry not near computer.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »
Window 10 it’s in the power management area. Type usb hub in search bar then choose the power management option. Sorry not near computer.

Still not seeing anything.  by "power managment area" do you mean POWER AND SLEEP SETTINGS?

If so searching for usb hub shows no results.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 01:54:29 AM »
Wingnutt, have you already checked all Win10 related Hints and Tips: https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,71591.msg675067.html#msg675067?

After having done all that, another place to look for power management is the Device Manager, especially USB, HID and Networking devices. If they have a Power tab, there's a check box to allow Windows shut the said device down to save power. Uncheck them all if they still are checked.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2018, 05:55:58 AM »
You absolutely need to disable any power management of the USB ports.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2018, 08:23:20 PM »
Oh ok yea I already had the power saving disabled for all USB devices, i was looking for a "High performance" setting or something like that.

AND I found my problem.   

Turns out SteamVR manual override was on and was setting the HMD resolution to 150% for all apps instead of going with application settings.

Turned that off, and tried again.   getting 60FPS sitting on the airfield and the text in the clipboard is smooth now.  didnt get to test flying because for some reason the game no longer detects my Thrustmaster TWCS throttle :headscratch:  It worked the other day, so no idea on that, sees the stick fine.

So far I have the Odyssey working great with AH (best I can tell) Elite Dangerous, and DCS 2.5

might be time to go ahead sell the ole rift.

EDIT: throttle is working now, game runs smooth as glass now.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 09:17:00 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2018, 01:17:36 AM »
I havent tried rift? Whats your thoughts on the OG+ compared to it? My biggest gripe is its kinda blurry when you arent looking down the center of the lenses.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2018, 07:34:19 PM »
They both have some edge blur the odyssey is defiantly sharper and you can only sort of see screen door effect if you cross your eyes and try to find it.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2018, 08:20:20 PM »
Does the image get blurry when you move your head around? Im getting some of that and not sure if there is anything that i can do about it.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2018, 09:20:12 PM »
No, I remember my  PiMax 4K was bad about that.  the Odyssey is at least as good as the rift in that regard, possibly better.    Its good enough that I didn't think about it until I read your post. :cheers: