Author Topic: Thrustmaster TWCS throttle review/impression  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Thrustmaster TWCS throttle review/impression
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:09:19 PM »
There are only a few options for stand alone throttles out there.  There are custom ones from Russia available on other sim sites, and the Warthog Throttle can be found on Amazon in the USA, but not other countries, and it's expensive on its own, worth buying the entire HOTAS nearly.  That leaves the CH Throttle that's been around 20 years in gameport, and nearly as long in USB, and now, the new Thrustmaster TWCS.

I'm really impressed with the new TM throttle.  It's well built, metal side rails, the rest high quality plastic materials, it feels more solid than the CH throttle to me.  You can google the various buttons/hats, but there are lots, as well as the rudder bar option for those that like the old Saitek x36/x45 way of controlling the rudder.  The hats and buttons are very solid and positive, as is the adjustable travel of the throttle itself.  It's different in shape than the CH, the hand and wrist sit more comfortably on the TM in my opinion due to this. 

Size wise, from the pictures, it's a wider footprint than the CH, TM Cougar and Warthog throttles, just by a bit, however it's smaller in every other way.  Very easy shape to hold on to I've found after a couple weeks of using it. 

Best thing - cost.  I've $58 USD on Amazon now, 1/2 of what the CH Throttle costs, or less in many cases.

No better option out there now for a stand alone throttle, especially for the cost or bang/$ ratio.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: Thrustmaster TWCS throttle review/impression
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »
Thanks for the post/review Gaman!   :salute

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 04:05:29 PM »
After another week with it, I still can't believe this thing is under 60 bucks.  It's superior to  CH's long in the tooth stand alone throttle in every way at 1/2 the price.  The analogue axis are all very accurate, and the switches very positive, have a great feeling of quality to them.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 04:24:02 PM »
How many buttons on it? 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 12:12:40 AM »
Does it have a cup holder?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 02:28:06 AM »
22 push/click buttons total (2 4 way hats, 1 8 way, an up/down toggle on the face, 3 orange single press buttons on the front/side, and pushing the ministick hat in counts as a button), the mini stick which is your left hand trigger finger, the rudder rocker, and the pinky antenna roller.

I use the Warthog Throttle for offline/DCS, but I've been using the CH throttle for at least 20 years, a gameport and I think I'm on set #3 for USB now.  Took a long time to find one I find superior for online sims (fast, smooth sliding unlike the WH or Cougar throttles) to the CH, but IMO I think this TM one is, especially for the cost, but even at the same price, I'd prefer it I think.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:30:21 AM by Gman »

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
You get what you pay for.  It looks neat but how long will it function properly?  I've had my CH Throttle for 12 years and it functions just as it did the day I bought it.

Only time will tell if the money is worth it.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 11:54:11 AM »
That’s true, but you have an older pre crap era CH unit.  So do I.  Their new ones look like they were made by drunk children since CH’s former owner sold the company.  CH HAD quality, they no longer do.  Pulling the TM unit apart everything looks decent enough.  The last Fighterstick I got (post sale) was so crappy I went back to my pre sale Combatstick.

You’re right though, only time will tell, just because new CH can often be crap doesn’t make TM’s new stuff good or long lasting.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »
That’s true, but you have an older pre crap era CH unit.  So do I.  Their new ones look like they were made by drunk children since CH’s former owner sold the company.  CH HAD quality, they no longer do.  Pulling the TM unit apart everything looks decent enough.  The last Fighterstick I got (post sale) was so crappy I went back to my pre sale Combatstick.

You’re right though, only time will tell, just because new CH can often be crap doesn’t make TM’s new stuff good or long lasting.

The same thing that happened to CH when the family sold it happened to Thrustmaster when they were bought out by another French company.  The quality of the build suffered, just like CH.  I knew Norm Winningstad from my time at CH, met on the flight on the way to one of the E3 shows, great guy and had the same dedication to the quality of his gear like Chuck Hayes did.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »
Ya it's too bad what happened to both companies. 

Nice to see VKB/Virpil/Slaw/BRD all coming along, but it'd be nice to see a new HOTAS builder that wasn't in Eastern Europe or Russia for those of us in the Americas to deal with.  Surprising nobody has stepped up what with 3d printing and all the other advantages around now.  If someone took the shape of the CH sticks, made a decent split throttle, and a decent set of metal rudder pedals that are simple like the VKB or even Xwinds, they'd be on to something.  That smooth motion of the CH sticks with Hall sensors instead, but made with a metal shell - that'd be perfect for me.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 06:11:33 PM »
Well, it seems it would make a fine replacement for my slowly disintegrating X-52pro throttle, especially as it can be bough separately.
Too bad it's more expensive over here. ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman