Author Topic: Do away with manned guns  (Read 5049 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Do away with manned guns
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
Maybe that's what he wants to do.

Maybe that's all he can do well.

Maybe he will learn different aspects of the game later and fly a plane.

Maybe you think his 15 bucks isn't as valuable as your 15 bucks.

Maybe his contribution helps keep the game profitable and valuable for HTC.

Maybe what he does makes the game too difficult for you.

Maybe you don't care about the big picture because you are selfish.

Maybe the next thing we should get rid of is the high altitude guys like me because you don't like that either.
Maybe the game isn't fine and dandy as you think for the masses which is why we have seen a decrease in numbers....

Maybe it's time for you all to acknowledge there's a problem with people avoiding fights...

Maybe soon there won't be enough people paying $15 to even have this conversation...
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2017, 05:09:08 PM »
might aswell give it a try to see if it gets more people in the air.    :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 05:40:10 PM »
What would it help you if I would logoff instead of defending my field against attack in a manned ack?
The 'quality of the fight' would not improve significantly in any way.

Addendum:
If that's your assement of players using manned acks, wouldn't that also apply to yourself?
In the last 11 tours, you died 65 times to all types of manned ack, but you got 30 kills in it, too. Drunk/lazy/chicken/incompetent?
Oh, and manned ack accounted to 3.5% of your deaths in fighters in those 11 tours.
Really? How many of those kills were ground to air in an 88? I can tell you it’s somewhere near zero. If there are any, they’re proxies as I tried to beat back vulching tanks. Please refer to my earlier post about 37mms and include all facts rather than those that try to discredit my opinions. While you’re bringing up stats, what percentage of my sorties are in manned guns in the last 11 tours?

It’s not about me falling to manned ack. It’s about players avoiding combat but still affecting the outcome of combat. AI puffy works fine. We need players. Not AI.

And if you’re camping in an 88 please feel free to log off. Come back when you’re ready to take something out of a hangar.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 11:54:36 PM »
I know its a COMBAT GAME. What is COMBAT, 1 guy trying to kill another? UH yes. Its like the old joke, You brought a knife to a gun fight. The guy that brought the knife...what was he going to do, have a tea party? NO HE ALSO came for combat. Just saying, it may not mean anything to you, but for HIM it was STILL combat. No matter how you weave it,it makes it look like you are just miffed that you cant hang his scalp on your lance. I will tell you this, I didnt learn the wirb as my FIRST CHOICE....I was pressed into it by most of you guys. Same with manned guns. ONLY AN IDIOT will try to up on a vulched field more than a few times. Especially while getting messaged about how much we suck. So YES, I learned something else and am pretty dang good at it :devil
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2017, 06:26:14 AM »
I find it hard to describe a totally immobile weapon as a griefing weapon. It's not that's a sudden airspawn opens behind your back ;)

But more seriously, and only speaking for myself: I have quite a number of kills in all kinds of manned guns, but I guarantee you that almost all of the time I would not suddenly up a plane if the gun wasn't there. Because I mostly use guns if no other option is left - jumping to a CV when the bombers are already there, log on to a remote base that's already vulched. Or I can't due to real life constraints, for example eating something :D
And as far as griefing goes, about all players I shoot down in a manned gun are attacking the base. Deacking, vulching, bombing my CV. Two players having a noble duel in the skies are usually way outside any reasonable gun parameters.

And finally, the percentage of fighters shot down by manned ack is really low, considering the 6% number is mostly made up by bomb trucks and similar attackers. And the 88 has only a tiny share of that 6%
88 kill % is misleading. There are a few other enemies racing each other to kill me - fighters are the ones likely to get me away from a field or above 7k AGL. 3-7k AGL above or near the field, the manned/auto acks are most likely to get me. 3k and lower over the field the wirbles are most likely to get me. They dont give the 88 enough time to fire enough shells to build up its kill probability.

It is only when I am flying 3-10k (yards, not feet) from the field (in any direction spherically) and not engaged by fighters that the 88 get a chance to kill me before some else does. That is a small fraction of the sortie time and hence 88 kill % cannot be high. 88 are responsible for 100% of my deaths when no one else can kill me.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 07:33:03 AM »
My WAG is if htc eliminated base capture, manned guns and GVs, in time, the air to air combat players would dwindle down to roughly the same as before the change.   It would probably even drop as players fled to another sim.

Look at the history of dead sim games, it might offer some clues to the results of forcing game play.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »
My WAG is if htc eliminated base capture, manned guns and GVs, in time, the air to air combat players would dwindle down to roughly the same as before the change.   It would probably even drop as players fled to another sim.

Look at the history of dead sim games, it might offer some clues to the results of forcing game play.
Dear god man learn to read...nobody who has been met with any sort of support on their wish has said get rid of man guns, GVs, base captures ect ect ect.

You talk about the air to air combat players like they are the majority but I look at the squad roster and see you are full of ignorance....they are already gone for the most part...
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
To be honest I wish Hitech would replace all the 88 positions on airfields with 17lb, you can aim with the sight and be more effective defending against GVs. Then just put in a flack tower for the 88s or some number of pits like at the flack bases, and make them auto guns that can be strafed down. At the super large airfields, the auto puffy is mostly a puff show that you get to fly through. Most players can't hit tanks or planes with the 88s, and that makes them a nuisance for furballs and starts BS complaints here in the forums. With the slow turn rate of the 17lb, it's the tank driver who is at fault if he cannot learn to take advantage of that shelling a field. Heck at the port and vBases, 17lb are strategically useless the way they are positioned let alone the 88's.

The manned 88 has been around long enough to know if it was a good idea at airfields for players. Still, it's optics make a good way to look around the field out to 3k if there are openings through the trees. I've killed more panzers, wirbles, otsies, M16, M3, M8, Sdk, Jeeps, LVT, and tracked more T34's with 37mm than I've ever done with an 88 but watch the tank round or rocket that destroys my 88 position. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »
replace all the 88 positions on airfields with 17lb, you can aim with the sight and be more effective defending against GVs.

+1

As long as the 17lb gets a "commander position" view so you can look around without turning the gun.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »
I think we should just find the 88 experts and ban them! Alternatively: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrFVtmRXrw

What do you say? An even hundred perks a round for the 88 AA?
Pies not kicks.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2017, 01:41:53 PM »
{snip} Alternatively: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrFVtmRXrw

What do you say? An even hundred perks a round for the 88 AA?

:aok   :rofl  Well maybe at least the perk value of a Sherman  :bolt:

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2017, 03:09:48 PM »
I agree, do away with the manned ack. Nobody likes taking on laser guided 5 inchers.

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2017, 09:37:57 AM »
When dar is dead limit icons on field man guns to 3k, and when the cv is lit disable the proximity fuses.

Chuikov

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
When dar is dead limit icons on field man guns to 3k, and when the cv is lit disable the proximity fuses.

Not entirely sure on the exact number of 3k, but I do not hate this idea.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2017, 03:43:48 PM »
I could agree as well. Beyond around 3k it gets exponentially harder to hit anything even with the "Laser Range Finder" being used  :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain