Author Topic: Buttkicker with Oculus Rift S?  (Read 700 times)

Offline donnieboy

• Zinc Member
Buttkicker with Oculus Rift S?
« on: February 10, 2021, 08:09:05 PM »
I bought a buttkicker and it plugs into my motherboard sound jack and works fine with the desk top speaker but not with the RiftS. Anyone have this issue? Fix? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Buttkicker with Oculus Rift S?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 08:26:30 PM »
As I understand it butt kicker works either thru your sound card or other sound output source. It doesn't work directly with the oculus software in any way. In fact, isn't there another software you should be running just for that? What's the problem?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline donnieboy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 09:38:44 AM »
There is 3rd party software and I'm looking into that.
What I've found is that there is an adapter(not supplied) to use a USB port. I think the same as the Oculus plugs into.
Right now the BK plugs into the analog speaker port with Y adapter(supplied) inline with the speaker.
When I remove the Oculus the BK works. When I put on the Oculus the sound goes thru the USB and cuts the BK out.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 09:50:06 AM »
The "adapter" is actually another small cheap USB sound card. Not unlike ones that come with some headsets. It creates another audio device on your PC. You'd use that source for your butt kicker. I read also that it should not have sound more than 250hz going to it. That would be where the software would come in I'd think. I'm guessing yours has a built in amp? Otherwise you'd need that too. Again, I don't have one but I have looked into it. That and the jet seat.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 10:45:16 AM »
Have you tried enabling the "Hear VR Audio from Computer" setting in the Occulus software? 

As I understand it, this setting allows the audio signals played in the headset to be sent in addition to the computer's default audio device, so if Buttkicker needs that signal, turning this setting ON should provide it.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 12:26:44 PM »
Yeah that would give you sound to work with but it'd be the full range of sound. You'd still need some sort of EQ to filter out anything but the lows for what's going to the buttkicker for it to work right. It's essentially a subwoofer that's physically moving (transmitting vibrations) into an object like your chair rather than moving air like a speaker. The opposite would be trying to push the bass notes thru a tweeter. You can do it but it won't bode well for the tweeter!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 12:34:52 PM »
I mentioned looking into this before. There's another gizmo called a jetseat that DOES use the full range of sound. It is basically a full seat cushion that uses several small motors in it to transfer the vibrations along your back, butt and thighs. It's not so much like a buttkicker as it will do higher frequency noises and doesn't do the full lows as well. Some people use both! The software for it takes the full sound and can assign it to different areas of the unit. If the game is supported it can assign different effects for not only engine noise and guns or damage but things like gear and flaps to different areas of the seat. A slightly different animal than the buttkicker but not that far removed.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline donnieboy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 02:27:45 PM »
Have you tried enabling the "Hear VR Audio from Computer" setting in the Occulus software? 

As I understand it, this setting allows the audio signals played in the headset to be sent in addition to the computer's default audio device, so if Buttkicker needs that signal, turning this setting ON should provide it.

I've found a possible solution that entails turning on the Sound Mirroring setting in oculus and downloading Voicemeeter software to allow multiple audio out channels and control settings. Sound promising. Will try after work tonight.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 10:53:54 PM »
I literally just watched a video about that app yesterday. Guy was using it for OBS but I can see where it'd apply fire what you're trying to do. I don't remember if it had any EQ in it tho. Gotta cut off the higher freqs unless that's built into your model.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Buttlicker with Oculus Rift S?
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 03:47:14 PM »
I keep reading the thread title as buttlicker.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 03:48:03 PM »
Sicko!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"