Author Topic: Virpil T50 Grip first impressions  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Virpil T50 Grip first impressions
« on: November 01, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »
Still on the wait list as everyone else for the VKB, so I decided to try out Virpil's stick while I'm waiting.  I initially ordered just the handle, but have ordered the base/gimbal, which is from all I've read the best part of the T50, and will update once it arrives next week.  I have  a collection of a couple dozen HOTAS including all the new custom pedals/etc, ever since my first 2 button CH stick and little TM throttle back in the 286/386 days I've been collecting them, including the "majors" from CH/Saitek and whatnot.  Once I'm back to Calgary, I'll compare the T50 in pics with all the current Saitek stuff I don't have with me, as well as the X65 and other potential "competitors" to the T50.  Obviously once the VKB Gunfighter is out, I'll put the T50 and Gfighter head to head.

Virpil was a real pleasure to deal with.  The package came very quickly from Belarus, a total of about 10 days from first order to delivery, including the weekends.  Great customer service, I'll just say it simply.

The T50 Grip/Stick itself so far - it's not metal like the Warthog, it is plastic, but very, very high quality.  The first thing I noticed was just how accurate, and precise the buttons and hat switches are, they have a fantastic quality feel to them.  Without the T50 base, plugging the grip into the WH or Cougar base turns the large "brake" switch into just another button, but with the T50 base it's an analogue lever functionality wise. 

The adjustable hand rest is what many who buy this stick will really like.  It comes with 2, I just left the one installed, the larger one, on the stick.  You can set it very precisely to how you want your hand to sit, or for your particular hand size.  I really, really like this, as you can alter the angle the stick sits in the WH base as well, and combined with this adjustment, makes it very easy to get it just "so" for your desk and chair position.  It works flawlessly in both Warthog and Cougar bases, it's just a little plug same as the TM sticks for connecting it.  The 2 stage primary trigger has a great feel, and the "Russian" flip down trigger is the same.

I'll wait until I get their base, as well as the Gunfighter next month, to really put it through its paces and give it a fair evaluation, but IMO so far, I'm impressed with what Virpil has done, and it works very well as a grip option for the TM bases.  Notice from the pictures how much higher it stands than the TM and CH sticks.  With the T50 base, this will only gain even more height, which, according to Virpil, is by design, to be used in either cockpit builds with extensions, or in their custom desk clamp deals, which I've ordered to try as well.  It was never meant to be a desktop stick, but using the grip in the WH base, it's still "low" enough for me, and I like to have some part of my forearm/elbow planted on the desktop surface when using my sticks.

I'm anticipating good things with the T50 base, if they did the grip this well, and based on the opinions out there regarding the base/gimbal, it should be pretty fantastic.  I'll play with it some more this week and get a better feel for how I like it, but so far, the adjust-ability as well as the position and feel of the buttons makes it a big improvement over the stock TM grips so far for me.

I posted a few pics just to compare the height to the Warthog, Cougar, and CH sticks, again, next month I'll compare all the "big" names out there like all the Saitek/CH/Etc offerigns, side by side once the Gunfighter and T50 base arrive.  For better pics/info, link to Virpil's site is below.

https://virpil.com/en/

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:51:03 PM by Gman »

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Virpil T50 Grip first impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
Is that Virpil stick made of plastic versus metal of the Warthog? I haven't seen any sticks that really encourage me to replace my Warthog at all, just yet.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 03:34:19 PM »
Yep, plastic, about the same quality, or a bit better, as the CH Products plastic sticks IMO.

Wait to see how the Gunfighter turns out.  As I understand it, the "Modern Combat Grip" of the new VKB Gunfighter stick is plastic, and extremely similar to the T50 from Virpil, but they do have plans for a metal MCG version in 2018 the rumors int he forums say.

IMO, a great option would be to use the Warthog metal grip/stick, in a VKB Gunfighter base unit, which has a pretty amazing gimbal according to the reviews of those who bought the WW2 Gfighter already available last year, and this latest version should be even more customizable and better.  Best of both worlds if an all metal unit is important to you, and the weak part of the TM WH has always been its base unit, the sticktion and all the other issues that crop up with it.  I read/hear about 100x more problems with the base/gimbal of the Warthog than I ever have about the stick/grip/buttons/hats/etc. 

That's what I'm going to try anyhow, as I'm ordering the WW2, MCG, and the TM WH adapter for my VKB Gunfighter when they start selling them Dec 1 (fingers crossed).  I'll not be surprised if I end up running the metal WH stick (I have 3, so no issues there, heh) in the VKB Gunfighter base/gimbal, at least until their metal MCG comes out.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:36:50 PM by Gman »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 07:49:48 PM »
(cough) if you ever want to sell your CH stuff GMAN, my youngest is looking for a set...fire me a PM. :D
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 01:51:53 AM »
Some plastics are better than some metals for some applications. I'd have thought natural materials would get a look in for high-end joysticks. 

How come you can't be seen in reflection in those photos Gman? You don't happen to have an aversion to bright sunlight and a strong reaction to garlic-flavours do you?  :eek:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 02:43:10 AM »
gman when are you opening up a musuem of sticks and PC hardware??

Interesting thought shida,  I would think a nice wooden stick would be pretty cool.   Then you would have to give it a polish now and again.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 03:05:30 AM »
I bought a poo joystick from maplins for £20, it works better than my CH stick :old:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 03:07:44 AM by zack1234 »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 03:44:28 AM »
gman when are you opening up a musuem of sticks and PC hardware??

Interesting thought shida,  I would think a nice wooden stick would be pretty cool.   Then you would have to give it a polish now and again.

Walnut, maybe a burl or olive wood are my favourites. Think Holland & Holland but in joystick form. When you win the lottery Bruv, I'll do it as a commision for you! I use cork for mine.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline yipi

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 07:47:33 AM »
I have the VKB Joystick on order but I am interested in other sticks as well. I put the Warthog stick on my Gladiator Pro but because its metal and so heavy it felt wrong to me. I think lightweight plastic is better.  My main problem I have with sticks is the POV hat buttons wearing out. My Gladiator Pro sticks POV hat button is worn out but I have talked to VKB and they are saying the new MCG buttons are better. I have most of the sticks made and the only one I have never had a problem with buttons wearing out are the CH stick but I did have to clean the pots on the CH pedals a few times. I now use the VKB pedals and have never had a problem with them in 3 years of heavy use.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 12:11:50 PM »
Heh Shida, I do have SLE/Lupus which = sensitivity to sunlight, but I can still go out in it.  New phone = no flash, not sure what I'm doing with the camera yet, not that I've ever taken good pics of anything.

The plastic is very high quality with Virpil, even the adjustable rest seems almost metal to me when adjusting it.  Really like this feature, some of the Saiteks have had it too,  just not executed quite as good, close to the Virpil's though.

VKB pedals are my favorite too, not just because of their quality metal construction, but how they move, more of a fine motor skill/ankle and less of a gross motor skill/let/knee movement, so you can make finer adjustments when shooting, just my experience with them.  I have the Slaw 109 and MFGs as well, both really great, but the VKB are cheaper, just as tough (tougher than the Xwinds), and again, function better for me.

I really hope that VKB does a good throttle and a metal MCG grip this next year.  I'm not impressed with Virpil's idea of a throttle, however one thing they've shown is a remarkable willingness to adjust their stuff to what they hear and read - won't be surprised, at all, if they change the config of that throttle around due to feedback so far.  One thing Virpil has told me repeatedly as they aren't that interested in "desktop" stick solutions, and that's obvious from the height of the T50, and positioning of the switches on their throttle, as in a cockpit or on their custom clamps/shelves, these issues don't matter nearly as much, if at all.

I've seen a custom wooden polished stick, I'll find the pic, it's on another sim board.  Looked cool.  Holland/Holland = RB Rodda idea could be cool, sort of a cyberpunk mix with oldschool British firearms quality.  These days guys can make anything.

Once I get them all in the same place, I'll do pics of all the Hotas through the years Bruv.  Just TM alone there are tons, from the early stuff, to the F16, F22 TQS, then the Cougar, WH, all their other crap. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:15:12 PM by Gman »

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
I bought a poo joystick from maplins for £20...

Overall, I think that the wood from the previous post would make a better joystick material than poo, but to each his own...

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 02:51:47 PM »
Heh Shida, I do have SLE/Lupus which = sensitivity to sunlight, but I can still go out in it. 

Hi bro. I was considering the possibility you were a vampire! Just watched Fright Night again recently. Classic.

i know why they use plastics and metals and make them look this way, they're copying the military sticks. Where it all falls down in my opinion for the home user is I bet the servive pilots wear gloves, and in flight sims only Vudu does  :)

I've seen a custom wooden polished stick, I'll find the pic, it's on another sim board.

I'd like to see that.

These days guys can make anything.

Yes but it's a monumental effort to put it into production. Fulltime job really. My custom stick is still in development hell although I had a spurt of progress recently. Had some parts 3D printed in my department. Natrually my switchgear's a bit off-the-wall.

Would you fellows in the main object to a more unconventional-looking / futuristic controller with some advanced features bordering on the gamey?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 12:13:24 AM »
Hi bro. I was considering the possibility you were a vampire!

I know, I got it in the first round, hah.

You should consider making a CH like custom stick with a hall sensor setup, with the same sort of current CH motion/feel, and then make a replaceable stick with your idea of a more unconventional/future/space stick as a switchable option for that base/stick.  THAT would sell IMO.  There are lots of throttle options to go with such a unit too, the TM TCWS for around 60 bux is fantastic, and the CH is still good/etc too.

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 08:32:46 AM »
Gman,
Just met with Andrei, the CEO of Virpil and his beautiful wife. Picked up the new T-50cm, base and desk mount. First impression is very high quality, love the tactile feedback from the buttons. Haven’t had a chance to try it out yet but looking forward to it once I get back to the U.S.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:51:37 AM by WpnX »
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 03:41:08 PM »
Cool, I wish I could have met him/them too.  I bet you can't wait to get home now and try that T50 out, hah.  I got into the Russian/etc new custom stuff based on your recommendation of the VKB peds, and I've tore through pretty much all options, still need the Bauer custom pedals, and will work on those soon.  It's a real golden age of HOTAS right now IMO, them and mech keyboards are becoming a serious addiction problem.

Are you going to roll with the T50 for a while on its own, or still pick up the Gunfighter if it becomes available in a few weeks?  They are both great companies - I'd never have guessed back when I did a lot of media work in this business, that Russia and the former Soviet republics would be the source of all this great stuff.