Author Topic: Iridescent Gunsights  (Read 1513 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Iridescent Gunsights
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »
You are using other key reference points for the 100mph principle of deflection shooting which is at the heart of all air to air fixed gunnery no matter what you use for the pipper and what ever reference point you use for your 100mph = 50Mil gauge. I'm surprised you didn't want a 100Mil diameter red mask dot with a bright 12Mil center. Aces High teaches dot O death user to reference on the edge of the reflector plate and then the windscreen bars. Most don't realize this.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »
You are using other key reference points for the 100mph principle of deflection shooting which is at the heart of all air to air fixed gunnery no matter what you use for the pipper and what ever reference point you use for your 100mph = 50Mil gauge. I'm surprised you didn't want a 100Mil diameter red mask dot with a bright 12Mil center. Aces High teaches dot O death user to reference on the edge of the reflector plate and then the windscreen bars. Most don't realize this.

I'm sorry to dissapoint you Bustr but I'm not using any visual cues regarding the timing besides observing the flightpath and the unfocussed knowledge of where the boresight is. I know this because for a time I had an Ace Ventura seating position. I understand the speed and Mil connection, but I assure you with a bit of practice you don't need it. Actually if you run through the variables it's rather unreliable. Feeling > calculation in my experience anyway.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »
You are still using the 100mph principle and your own personal reference points whether something else in your cockpit or guessing. It's the relationship between how long it takes a bullet to reach a distance and the relative speed your con travels at an angle to your flight path. It does not matter if you are using a snot dot on your monitor screen, the 100mph principle is a fact of physics for all fighter to fighter fixed gun combat.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 02:42:39 PM »
I'm not disputing the presence of Physics or any of those conventional technical issues you mention. I'm just explaining none of that enters into my shooting technique. You don't need to consider reference points, deflection, the speed of the opponent, Gs, Mils, a good trigger press or any of that. It's the farthest thing from calculation. Just proportion your attention like I suggested and something in the brain takes care of all the rest for you.

This thread's purpose was to learn how to make a custom gunsight for this technique which you kindly provided. Using that has improved my shooting no end because I could increase the distance between the focussed and peripheral visual points. I thank you for that.

Give it a try, if you like. Or don't. Just know I'll be out there somewhere making shots you looking-through-the-gunsight lot can only dream about  :banana:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:44:16 PM by nrshida »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
Something is calculating the 100mph principle, because in the end when you pull the trigger your guns and relative state to your target are governed by it to achieve a firing solution. No matter how you want to describe what you are doing. There is no special ingredient in the soup.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 03:16:06 PM »
Something is calculating the 100mph principle, because in the end when you pull the trigger your guns and relative state to your target are governed by it to achieve a firing solution. No matter how you want to describe what you are doing. There is no special ingredient in the soup.

You're confining yourself by fixating on the technical aspects. It is analogous to saying your thoughts are nothing more than an ordered firing of neurons. I know that but still I think.

You should read about Gibsonian ecological visual perception. That's very interesting.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »
I’ve been using Bustr’s illuminated death dot since Grizz wrote his accuracy manifesto post.  Works great for me, simple and highly visible.  Also doesn’t obscure the target like other more complex sights, which is what I prefer.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 02:48:38 AM »
Same with me! The complex gun sights seemed to get in my way :uhoh  Yes,NRSHIDA, we are talking the same language....about shooting concept you were talking about. Its almost instinctive. Like with Traditional Archery, you dont really "consciously" aim or use a reference point to aim with. Its a practiced sight picture. PRACTICE<PRACTICE and so on, but once you have it, its second nature. Muscle memory, and just "Yes,that looks right".If you were to break it down, you would find that there are several "POINTS" of reference that you rely on(shout out for BUSTR). You have shot like this so long,its just second nature to you. Yes, its hard to explain HOW or WHY you are doing it, you JUST KNOW!  :uhoh Like with Fire Arms, some say close off eye and concentrate on lining up the shot. Some use both eyes open method. Its more a personal choice,or how you were trained..gets pretty much same effect. Its the muscle memory that is key to instinct shooting, especially with say Sporting Clays. Targets are from multiple ranges and trajectories. You have an unconscious "ballistics program" going on in the back ground for each shot. See target, gauge trajectory and impact point, swing thru and POP!Sure you may miss(most usually do..often) but the more you do it, the better you get. I have a best score of 97/100, and at the time I was shooting on average 1000 rounds a week or so. I grew up wing shooting and Varmint hunting so it came more natural. Think first round of 100 I hit 57? Needed practice lol   I also read somewhere that some bomber gunners were trained with Skeet shooting, from moving trucks. To learn feel of hitting the moving planes from moving planes ;). I am beginning to see the light, so to speak, on your approach. I usually pass on decent deflection shots(limited ammo) and maneuver too much trying to get tracking shots. By decent, I mean "IFy" shots. I am pretty sure, but not 80% sure I could make the hit so I pass. AND,yes it usually costs me the fight...so   PRACTICING I WILL GO :cheers:  Ace Ventura seating position? LOL  Just dont keep your tongue hanging out.! :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 02:59:35 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 11:37:48 AM »
Like with Traditional Archery, you dont really "consciously" aim or use a reference point to aim with. 

Yes very much more like that or even like trying to hit your best friend in the head with a cricket ball as he runs past you.  :)  Clearly on some level your brain can direct your hands to meet the point your looking at. I think a subtle example of this is if you lose control of a motor vehicle a bit they tell you to look at the gap and not the obstacle.  :rofl

I knew it was out there somewhere, Joach1m put one of my shots in his video once:-

https://youtu.be/x2yFy8-gfL0?t=24s

I'm only flying the Finnish G-14, Jo's making the rest of those shots. Also Jo walks the shot in with his rudder in some of those. Found some equivalant Ki-84 shots too but they are AH2 ahf files.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-