Author Topic: Hey VR Experts  (Read 960 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Hey VR Experts
« on: December 23, 2017, 09:47:49 AM »
When I get ready to VR the game, I open the Oculus app, open the AH DX11 file, it asks if I want use Oculus, I answer yes, and don the headset.  There is a bare bones clipboard menu and nothing else in the forward view.  All the normal AH splash screen stuff is parked behind me.  I press my “track center” button (as Kanth suggested using) and everything centers up normally in the front view. 

Why is the normal stuff showing up in the rear view?  Is there a way to make it all come up in front to start with?

Thanks!

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Hey VR Experts
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »
Is there some reason you aren't using the application directly through Oculus? (The oculus version installed through the lobby not just the directx11 version) Instead of installing the app seperately and running it outside oculus?

What you are describing sounds to me like the difference between where you setup your sensors, and a slightly different position where you are actually playing the game from.

For example i setup the sensors at my desk, but i play from the playseat a little ways away...so Aces High splash and cbm always show up way off to the right, but when it launches (the oculus version) it says hit any key to center and i use the fire key on my joystick from my playseat and it centers up and away we go.

As a side note: Some of the perks of using the oculus library version is that it auto updates without you having to do anything and you don't have to select to use the rift, it assumes it.  I'm using the beta now which i'm not able to use voice with but otherwise you could just say "Hey Oculus, Launch Aces High" and it would.

So to "Fix" it i'd say you might want to make sure you go through setup with your rift, sitting exactly where you want to fly from AND don't move your sensors.
That should do it.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 11:53:05 AM »
When I get ready to VR the game, I open the Oculus app, open the AH DX11 file, it asks if I want use Oculus, I answer yes, and don the headset.  There is a bare bones clipboard menu and nothing else in the forward view.  All the normal AH splash screen stuff is parked behind me.  I press my “track center” button (as Kanth suggested using) and everything centers up normally in the front view. 

Why is the normal stuff showing up in the rear view?  Is there a way to make it all come up in front to start with?

Thanks!

Have you tried centering with the Oculus app? It's on the same menu page as the lens spacing.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »
Have you tried centering with the Oculus app? It's on the same menu page as the lens spacing.

I went back through the setup today and centered.  It seems to play more accurately now.  Thanks!

Is there some reason you aren't using the application directly through Oculus? (The oculus version installed through the lobby not just the directx11 version) Instead of installing the app seperately and running it outside oculus?

What you are describing sounds to me like the difference between where you setup your sensors, and a slightly different position where you are actually playing the game from.

For example i setup the sensors at my desk, but i play from the playseat a little ways away...so Aces High splash and cbm always show up way off to the right, but when it launches (the oculus version) it says hit any key to center and i use the fire key on my joystick from my playseat and it centers up and away we go.

As a side note: Some of the perks of using the oculus library version is that it auto updates without you having to do anything and you don't have to select to use the rift, it assumes it.  I'm using the beta now which i'm not able to use voice with but otherwise you could just say "Hey Oculus, Launch Aces High" and it would.

So to "Fix" it i'd say you might want to make sure you go through setup with your rift, sitting exactly where you want to fly from AND don't move your sensors.
That should do it.

I opened through Oculus today and played for about two hours.  Lots of screen freezes and low frame rates (mid 40s to mid 20s) compared to when I’ve opened the game off the desktop (where frame rate is pretty steady around 90).  For both instances the vsync has been turned off.

As far as positioning, I sit at the desk with the sensors pointed at me as when the initial setup was accomplished.  My sitting height was also measured accurately during setup.  I’ve recieved two wall mounts for the sensors and will install those next. Those positions will be approximately 2 feet higher than the current sensor position.  Distance between sensors will increase approximately two feet.  Once installed on the walls, a new setup will be accomplished.

I’ve also read your technique in the “screen freeze and frame rates” thread.  I’ll also do that and see what effect that provides.

Thanks for all the ideas and input!  :aok
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:21:05 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all