Author Topic: Killshooter and ords  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
Killshooter and ords
« on: December 04, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »
This must surely have been discussed before, but if it has I can't find it.

Why are friendlies - other players and inanimate objects - immune to the effects of ordnance?

It always irritates me to see a set of Lancs carpet bomb a friendly town with 42,000 lbs. of bombs that magically kill all the enemy vehicles while having no effect on buildings or friendly vehicles. To call this unrealistic is an understatement. I can understand the potential for griefing if the bombs killed the friendlies, but why not at least have killshooter activated for ords the same way it is for MGs or cannons?

The same goes for ship guns, especially the new 16" battleship guns. It seems silly that a 2,000 lb. HE shell can land 10 feet from a friendly M3 and have no effect.

Can anyone explain the thinking behind this?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Killshooter and ords
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:35:59 PM »
I'd go with "the griefing could go the other way" for most of it, as well as just problems with unintentional behavior.

Say for example ordnance hitting planes would killshoot the bomber.  Guy flies over at 20k.  Bombs drop.  That takes quite some time to fall to earth.  In that time, guy who doesn't know about bombs dropping flies low over town.  Boom, bomber dead through no fault of his own.

Same with the boat guns.  You can't see what's there, and I don't think the playerbase would support the amount of coordination it would take to get people to lay off the town so they could call in a fire mission.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:39:47 PM »
I'd go with "the griefing could go the other way" for most of it, as well as just problems with unintentional behavior.

Say for example ordnance hitting planes would killshoot the bomber.  Guy flies over at 20k.  Bombs drop.  That takes quite some time to fall to earth.  In that time, guy who doesn't know about bombs dropping flies low over town.  Boom, bomber dead through no fault of his own.

Same with the boat guns.  You can't see what's there, and I don't think the playerbase would support the amount of coordination it would take to get people to lay off the town so they could call in a fire mission.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Wiley.

This.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 05:55:50 PM »
I just deleted this.  Some things I didn't think of . . .  :bhead
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:07:53 PM by MWL »

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 06:14:18 PM »
In Warbirds you could kill yourself or friendless with bombast...wasn't a problem.  Once in a while the guy that didn't pay attention at the brief would get whacked when crossing the target late...life's a squeak if you don't pay attention. :)
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 08:51:10 PM »
  I have bombed a couple of towns and received the message that I shot myself.  So I am not sure that friendly GV's are completely immune to bombs.

I do think that killshooter should apply to bombs dropped. 
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 09:12:05 PM »
At some point in the past, bombs falling on friendlies did kill the bomber pilot. 

I know I poofed completely for no reason after dropping on an enemy airfield ( killshooter messages didn't exist back then ) on a couple of occasions.

Turns out, soon afterward, somebody was complaining about players dropping hangars at enemy fields and their solution was to park inside an enemy hangar, then, when the bombs came, the bomber pilot was kill-shot. 

Not long after that disclosure, the code was changed so bombs didn't killshoot on friendlies anymore.

However, your own bombs can kill you, still. 

:salute
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:15:26 PM by APDrone »
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 09:56:27 PM »
I remember destroying several gun positions in a scenario from my own gun. Not fun.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 02:09:07 AM »
I dropped on a town with friendlies parked in it at their request. Got a bunch of “you shout yourself” messages, a few minutes later we took the town. Good times, good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 10:15:46 AM »
This must surely have been discussed before, but if it has I can't find it.

Why are friendlies - other players and inanimate objects - immune to the effects of ordnance?

It always irritates me to see a set of Lancs carpet bomb a friendly town with 42,000 lbs. of bombs that magically kill all the enemy vehicles while having no effect on buildings or friendly vehicles. To call this unrealistic is an understatement. I can understand the potential for griefing if the bombs killed the friendlies, but why not at least have killshooter activated for ords the same way it is for MGs or cannons?

The same goes for ship guns, especially the new 16" battleship guns. It seems silly that a 2,000 lb. HE shell can land 10 feet from a friendly M3 and have no effect.

Can anyone explain the thinking behind this?
I have one word for you: squaddies.   :rofl  They scare me....  :uhoh
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!