Author Topic: Smoothing Shadows  (Read 836 times)

Offline A8cole

• Zinc Member
Smoothing Shadows
« on: December 21, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »
Had a GTX 660ti and upgraded to a 1060 SSC. I have tried both the DX9 and DX11 versions. Turning on and off all graphic settings individually, but the shadows in the cockpit are jagged and jump around. I did a search for smoothing, jagged shadow etc. I found older posts, but not specific to my issue. Not sure if this is a setting in the Nvidia control panel I need to change or if anyone has experienced this. With all settings maxed I run at full 60 frames, but for some reason the shadows are just not smooth. I don't remember noticing that with my old card. I apologize if this has been answered previously.  :salute

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Smoothing Shadows
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 01:28:48 AM »
By the time I changed from Radeon HD6970 to Nvidia GTX970 my cockpit shadows improved tremendously, from flickering jaggyness to enjoyable smoothness - not perfect but good enough. I thought it was coincidental for the most part.

Although your upgrade took place within the same brand using the same drivers, removing the old drivers is essential. If you did that, well done! If not, it's not too late. Using DDU for getting rid of all potential leftovers from the previous card installation may not be overkill either: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=950&sid=58cd4b31d9e615d11bf45f09df2c47cd.

Another thing you may want to try is another driver version. Especially if your computer is a little bit older it may not fully co-operate with the latest ones. Your card would, the rest necessarily won't. If I install drivers from the last year or so, I keep getting the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message every time a new program starts. With drivers from July 2016 I get a solid performance no matter what.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 02:03:42 AM »
Had a GTX 660ti and upgraded to a 1060 SSC. I have tried both the DX9 and DX11 versions. Turning on and off all graphic settings individually, but the shadows in the cockpit are jagged and jump around. I did a search for smoothing, jagged shadow etc. I found older posts, but not specific to my issue. Not sure if this is a setting in the Nvidia control panel I need to change or if anyone has experienced this. With all settings maxed I run at full 60 frames, but for some reason the shadows are just not smooth. I don't remember noticing that with my old card. I apologize if this has been answered previously.  :salute

AHIII's cockpit shadows have always looked horrible to me.  They are as you describe. 
AHII had very nice cockpit shadows.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 04:52:14 AM »
If your video card has more than 2GB of video memory, make sure the "Maximum Texture Size" in the "Video Settings" is set to 4096.

Not sure if it helps, but it might.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline A8cole

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 06:02:13 AM »
Thank you for all the replies! Yeah, I ran the ddu software as well as selected clean install when installing the new drivers. I also have the maximum texture size set to 4096 as the card has 6GB.  My system is a few years old, just strange that the shadows do this now with a much better card. I guess I will try what Bizman suggested,  get an older driver version and see if that helps some. 

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 12:02:15 PM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,377054.msg5022745.html#msg5022745
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,377222.msg5024384.html#msg5024384

See post #98 in 1st link, post #76 in 2nd link...............

This issue has been going on since the AHIII Beta days and can verify that this is still occurring today within the game.

If mem serves me correctly, I think that it was mentioned that this has something to do w\ applying AA post process to shadows and was to be looked into maybe using other AA processes to resolve this at that time................ So the remedy mentioned is to disable post lighting in the game (this disables the in-game post process AA as well as all post process lighting effects then in graphics card driver set the driver to override application AA then set AA level desired in driver). As already stated in times past, this makes it better but not eliminate them.

See reply #11 in this link below..........

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,373724.0.html

Hope this can help out.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline A8cole

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 02:36:13 PM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,377054.msg5022745.html#msg5022745
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,377222.msg5024384.html#msg5024384

See post #98 in 1st link, post #76 in 2nd link...............

This issue has been going on since the AHIII Beta days and can verify that this is still occurring today within the game.

If mem serves me correctly, I think that it was mentioned that this has something to do w\ applying AA post process to shadows and was to be looked into maybe using other AA processes to resolve this at that time................ So the remedy mentioned is to disable post lighting in the game (this disables the in-game post process AA as well as all post process lighting effects then in graphics card driver set the driver to override application AA then set AA level desired in driver). As already stated in times past, this makes it better but not eliminate them.

See reply #11 in this link below..........

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,373724.0.html

Hope this can help out.

:salute

Thank you Pudgie. I will go mess with the Nvidia panel AA settings and see what that does. Thanks again! :salute

Update:  In the Nvidia control panel, I set Anisotropic filtering to 16x, Antialiasing -FXAA to On and Antialiasing - Mode = Override any application setting. As you stated, it smoothed it out a bit, but not great. There are still some "jumps" and shimmer in the shadows, but definitely smoother. Will keep messing with it. Thanks again all for the help!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:03:34 PM by A8cole »