Author Topic: Anyone know how to animate an explosion for a custom object?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Anyone know how to animate an explosion for a custom object?
« on: December 08, 2017, 09:45:12 AM »
Has anyone animated a custom object exploding before?  Not the shell burst or weapons effect, but the object transforming from intact to blown up.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Anyone know how to animate an explosion for a custom object?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 09:52:41 AM »
Requires a dead shape flag on the object nodes you wish to display.

In the object editor load your object, then click the edit tree button.

Choose the dead shape object node and click edit.

Check the Dead shape check box.

This makes the object hide when the shape is alive and displayed when the shape is destroyed.

Export it for example of how to set directly in AC3d.
HITech

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 10:11:09 AM »
Thanks!

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 12:14:58 PM »
Yeah, get on that gents!   Those dang Yank aircraft at Pearl Harbor on the ground did't blow up when my Zeke gave them a peppering! 

Was commenting that ground objects like the aircraft are an awesome immersion addition. Now, if they only blew up! :)

Love seeing your progression Jinx!, Keep up the good work so we all can enjoy!

(is it possible to spawn into one of those "objects" as if that air-frame was usable? Just a wild dream idea, but wouldn't it be amazing for the scenario if when you spawned in, it was into a parked aircraft and you took that 1 air-frame and it was no longer usable behind you...  Probably a coding nightmare, but imagine the action/excitement! of "jumping into the action" from static parking locations on an airfield... Suddenly air-frames become limited (in context of limited time frame scenario) such that, if all the "parked" aircraft are blown up, no taking off from that "area" because no air-frames exist at that location....after they're gone, normal spawning from an approved base is the fall back)   Weird wish rant over... sry for hijaking.
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 02:29:27 PM »
FYI all, I spoke to Hitech, and I now have a real good read on what can/can't be done.  I have a path forward!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 04:38:59 PM »

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 04:44:52 PM »
technically still forward progress   :rofl
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 05:14:31 PM »
 :rofl
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 08:36:39 PM »
 :rofl  You guys crack me up sometimes.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 09:26:36 PM »
Yeah, get on that gents!   Those dang Yank aircraft at Pearl Harbor on the ground did't blow up when my Zeke gave them a peppering! 

Was commenting that ground objects like the aircraft are an awesome immersion addition. Now, if they only blew up! :)

There is a way to simulate it blowing up and burning.  It will take some work, but you could make a copy of the plane object, make it destructible with a hardness, give it a "dead" skin (all blackened and such), and then park an ammo bunker under the surface of the plane and make it really soft.  That way when you strafe it, the bunker goes up and starts burning, and at the same time the plane turns into a blackened hulk.  I did that to a building in a test terrain and it worked (although I haven't strafed it yet - all I did was 'destroy' the objects from the clipboard).  I also think there's a way to get it to burn without using a bunker but I haven't got that far yet.   

One thing you can't do is animate the polygons that make up a whole object.

I'm working on a bridge where the bulk of the structure is not destructible.  But partway over the bridge there's another object, a decking span, that I want to make destructible.  So you hit the span with HE or drop a bomb on it, and the skin changes from the 'live' wooden decking with smooth bump map, to a 'dead' span with a see-through skin (making it invisible), and an extreme bump texture that you can't drive over.  It's a long process, but it's all been done before on different objects in the main arena.

Offline toddbobe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 09:28:17 AM »
coudnt you use the rubble from town objects to make the destroyed deck?

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »
Sure, but I don't know how to associate the rubble pile with the deck changing to 'dead'.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
In the object editor load your object, then click the edit tree button.

Choose the dead shape object node and click edit.

Check the Dead shape check box.

This makes the object hide when the shape is alive and displayed when the shape is destroyed.

Export it for example of how to set directly in AC3d.
HITech

Hitech, what makes the rubble pile appear?