Author Topic: Clouds, ....Trees of the sky.  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Clouds, ....Trees of the sky.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 12:16:36 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:10:11 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 09:50:02 AM »
I want to know how to stop my plane in a cloud bank to hide.....
I can make 1 almost float
but I can definitely make a plane hide in the trees the hard way and it won't be useful anymore.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 10:13:25 AM »
I'm enjoying the clouds.
 :airplane:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »
I like them.  I like chasing people through them.  I particularly like them in FSO/Scenarios.  My only gripe with them is the way they pirouette when you come over the top.  I haven't noticed a frame rate hit from them in a long time.

I just wish they were random.  It would be nice to never know what you're going to get, but I understand why they don't do that.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
See Rule #4

Tell that to the armchair generals whining about how we should play the game in order to a) win or b) lose so we can get another map. If the happiness of a furballer were the most important thing we should also get rid of the sun. Like clouds, it can hide the enemy until it's too late for you! For a perfect furball arena I'd also remove the ground, too often have I crashed in the middle of a fight. A never ending space with a clear view and ambient light, now wouldn't that be fun!  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:10:50 PM by Skuzzy »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 02:08:12 PM »
Tell that to the armchair generals whining about how we should play the game in order to a) win or b) lose so we can get another map. If the happiness of a furballer were the most important thing we should also get rid of the sun. Like clouds, it can hide the enemy until it's too late for you! For a perfect furball arena I'd also remove the ground, too often have I crashed in the middle of a fight. A never ending space with a clear view and ambient light, now wouldn't that be fun!  :rolleyes:

It wouldn't take HT long to develop a space combat arena (other than modeling the 'space planes').

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 02:31:44 PM »
It wouldn't take HT long to develop a space combat arena (other than modeling the 'space planes').

And since this is a WW2 game (with a WW1 twist), wouldn't it be suitable to have a storyline about Nazis hiding on the dark side of the Moon and the Allied being transferred by aliens to fight them?  :x
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »
The clouds are pretty, but they often interfere with good fights.  I could do without them save for the very high stuff which is visually immersiv but basically unreachable. 

I have noticed my graphics settings cause close to pirouette or spin in place sometimes.   Wish I knew what that was caused by if it’s something I can change. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
The clouds are pretty, but they often interfere with good fights.  I could do without them save for the very high stuff which is visually immersiv but basically unreachable. 

I have noticed my graphics settings cause close to pirouette or spin in place sometimes.   Wish I knew what that was caused by if it’s something I can change.

I personally think that interference adds to the fight, but YMMV.

It's the way they're done, I'm sure it's to do with efficiency.  They were the same in WBs.

Wiley
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 03:40:51 PM »
With all the books/stories/accounts of WWII pilots diving/flying into clouds as a tactics when the odds were against them, I can't see how having them in AH is anything less than more immersion (especially since they aren't hitting the frame rate as hard anymore. I think HT and co. have done a wonderful job. (I have to admit, sometimes I take a longer route to combat just to enjoy the clouds around 11-14k.)

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »
My frame rate drops to 0 diving into thick clouds.  No frame rate spike outside of them... but for whatever reason inside when the whole screen is just gray my FPS goes to crap.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 04:05:41 PM »
My frame rate drops to 0 diving into thick clouds.  No frame rate spike outside of them... but for whatever reason inside when the whole screen is just gray my FPS goes to crap.

I'm not sure what to say. What's your FR outside of clouds?

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 04:09:21 PM »
Steady 60 FPS in most instances.  I get some drops over large air fields with a lot of autoack firing or over CV's with a lot of autoack.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 04:25:16 PM »
Steady 60 FPS in most instances.  I get some drops over large air fields with a lot of autoack firing or over CV's with a lot of autoack.

A lot of people have told me that experiences can vary, greatly, with the type and model of video card you use. My fr runs about 40-60 and clouds do not affect me. I have an Asus Strix R9 380.