Author Topic: The Last Jedi: CONTAINS SPOILERS!  (Read 5402 times)

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
Re: The Last Jedi
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 08:50:20 AM »
I almost walked out of the theater a few times last night. Oh what was i cringing, but i thought it possibly cant get any worse, can it? The only thing i liked about the movie where the special effect's and even those put me off sometimes. For instance the X wing that got chased down by 2 ti fighters and suddenly reversed, got behind them and than shoot them.

I liked the bomber scene tough that part was awesome. (except that she had to catch the remote. Over the top...)

I really tried to like it, but it was just so bad. :uhoh

DutchVII
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:52:13 AM by TWCAxew »
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 08:30:19 PM »
Special effects were good and the full frontal of Luke was quiet the surprise but was done so tastefully is blended right in to the story line.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 11:30:06 PM »
ROGUE ONE is far and away the best of the films made after RETURN OF THE JEDI.  It’s competiive with the originals to the point that were it not for nostalgia I’d probably agree with the OP that it is the best including those.

Darth Vader was true to form in the battle scene at the end.   I was like, “Ho ho ho ho!!!” with evil glee watching him.   (The voice was wrong throughout though, somehow.)

I accidentally watched THE FORCE AWAKENS on a plane back from Africa and the ending made me sit up in my chair.   Another “Ho ho ho!” moment.

OP: There are indeed only a handful of plotlines into which everything out there fits.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »
ROGUE ONE is far and away the best of the films made after RETURN OF THE JEDI.  It’s competiive with the originals to the point that were it not for nostalgia I’d probably agree with the OP that it is the best including those.

Darth Vader was true to form in the battle scene at the end.   I was like, “Ho ho ho ho!!!” with evil glee watching him.   (The voice was wrong throughout though, somehow.)
Interesting note that final 5 minutes of Rogue One almost didn't make it into the film.  For me, it anchored it as a great Star Wars film, right behind TESB.

My young boys and I watched the Star Wars films - #1-#8 in order this past September.  The first two films were by in large, truly horrid films from plot holes, acting, and bland dialogue. The third was 'better', but not by much.  We then watched Rogue One after the Sith, and boy, the quality difference in acting, script, flow, and action scenes was like driving at 30mph Sunday driving in the first 3 films, to strapping into a Formula 1 at 200mph at LeMans - and then right into A New Hope, Strikes Back, Return, and Force Awakens.  It flowed quite nicely with all 5 films. 

The Last Jedi is good - not Rogue One or Empire Strikes amazing, but still good and better than the last.

But I have to admit, I'm getting a little Star Wars fatigued. Wish there was a new scifi movie coming out... Hollywood seems to just flush and refresh existing series to maximize profits, rather than promote cinema as an art form.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 01:56:30 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »

But I have to admit, I'm getting a little Star Wars fatigued. Wish there was a new scifi movie coming out... Hollywood seems to just flush and refresh existing series to maximize profits, rather than promote cinema as an art form.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hold on to your butts my friends, "Rendezvous With Rama", from the Arthur C Clarke book is in the works.  Also, "The Mote in God's Eye" and there are a couple more also but I've been told not to discuss them anywhere.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »
Hold on to your butts my friends, "Rendezvous With Rama", from the Arthur C Clarke book is in the works.  Also, "The Mote in God's Eye" and there are a couple more also but I've been told not to discuss them anywhere.

Unfortunately, if they don't have lazers and splosions, by what's gone in the past they likely won't do well.  Here's hoping the people who liked The Martian get on board.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
OOOPS I thought this was the thread for The Last Starfighter

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 01:32:24 AM »
Interesting note that final 5 minutes of Rogue One almost didn't make it into the film.  For me, it anchored it as a great Star Wars film, right behind TESB.

That would have been tragic.   Wow.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 03:55:41 AM »
Luke does not like the movie  :bhead

DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
SPOILER ALERT.

The movie wasn’t terrible but not within a long shot of episode V or VI. Better than I and II but worse than III. I just don’t like the characters. Finn is boring, the pilot guy is just a lame attempt at recreating the “cool” guy, aka Han Solo, and Kylo Ren is still a lame darth Vader fanboy. Rey is ok I guess.

But on top of all this is the lame, cheesy Disney writing. I hate the crappy attempts to make the movie funny at moments where it shouldn’t be.  You almost expect canned laughter to be included in the movie at times.

The face off between Luke and Kylo was cool though. I almost for a second thought they pulled a sixth sense moment and maybe Luke had been dead the whole time when Kylo couldn’t kill him. That would have been a better way for him to go out imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 11:52:17 AM »
I enjoyed the movie.  The campy writing reminded me of The New Hope.

*** SPOILER ALERT ****
Then there was the hangar bay explosion which took out throngs of bad guys but did not leave a scratch on Finn and Rose.  Just for that scene alone, I will buy the DVD (I do not do BluRay) when it becomes available just to make sure I did not miss something.

I don't know if that was a bad editing moment, or sloppy post work.

I liked Rogue One better.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:53:59 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »
I saw but never read this thread (I did accidentally click on it but very quickly backed out) until I watched the movie, which was a week ago.  So if someone comes into a thread about a movie they don't want spoiled, then it's on them. :)  That being said...

I'm still wondering how Finn managed to drag Rose from practically on top of the AT-AT's, ALL the way back through the hole made by the siege gun WITHOUT NO ONE NOTICING!!!  I know Stormtroopers are supposedly "terrible shots", but now they are just outright blind too (not to mention ZERO supporting troops around the walkers)???  Hell, Flinn could've thrown a rock and hit the cockpit window from where they crashed.  And it was a bit of time between the hole being blasted into the door and Luke walking out of it.  The other thing was Vice Admiral Amilyn taking SO long to react to the transports being shot down.  Don't get me started on the arching blaster shots from the Star Dreadnought and the transports taking ZERO evasive action.  There are a bit more, like the stampede escape and Kylo in general...but feh.  Too much nit-picking.

The one part that stood out the most for me was when Vice Admiral Amilyn hyper jumped into the Star Dreadnought.  That complete silence, for me, made it that much more powerful.

All in all, I can honestly say I enjoyed the movie, despite my nit-picking. :P 
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 12:32:52 PM »
The 'time lags' you noted, is what I called bad editing or sloppy post work.

Yes, like you, even though I have my nits to pick, I enjoyed the movie.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: The Last Jedi: CONTAINS SPOILERS!
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »
I thought it was the best one of all of them, and I enjoyed it very much.

I saw it on an 80 foot screen, the biggest in Arizona, with the highest tech available for digital display.  The graphics were absolutely amazing in their detail.

I will not be going to any movies at any other theater again.  They could probably hold 400 people in there with regular seating set up, but the choose big comfy recliners and very wide aisles so it only holds 150.  12 bucks a ticket and worth every penny.  Even in full reclined with your legs up folks can get by with plenty of room.

They put on the commercials and new movie teasers first of course while folks are being seated, then they close the gold drapes, an employee comes out, thanks you for coming and announces the movie, he steps off, the drapes open, and it's on.

Fantastic experience.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Re: The Last Jedi: CONTAINS SPOILERS!
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 02:51:12 PM »
Did I mention my wife thought Rey died at the end of Rogue One?    :rofl  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl

Hey, at least she can cook.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.