Author Topic: 2018 Scenario Season Opener <Final Vote>  (Read 2553 times)

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
Re: 2018 Scenario Season Opener <Final Vote>
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2018, 11:26:05 PM »
Looks like I’ll have to get my 109 ready, eastern front here I come!
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2018, 12:53:32 PM »
Stalingrad with no tanks.... or since someone assumes that no one likes tanks we should not include them in our fun?

Maybe we should have a typhoon of wind at 20,000ft as well... you know to limit the possibility of realism.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2018, 02:55:06 PM »
The people who decided that they don't like tanks in scenarios is the entire player base.  We tried getting GVers into scenarios many, many times with a lot of effort each time.  The last time we tried it, three people went into tanks.  Scenario players prefer the air-combat part of the battles.

Altitudes picked in scenarios are not a mystery.

Scenarios are crafted to make the experience of flying in them like what you read about if you read accounts of the action in the battle -- to be representative of that action.  For scenarios where there was lots of high-alt action (8th AF vs. Luftwaffe, for example) there are fights that happen at 34k.  For Eastern Front (and Tunisia, Rabaul, etc.) where there was almost no action way up that high, and almost all of it was lower, we craft it that way.  If we didn't, fights would be at 30+k, which would be unrepresentative and highly unrealistic.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:00:23 PM by Brooke »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2018, 06:30:21 PM »
The people who decided that they don't like tanks in scenarios is the entire player base.  We tried getting GVers into scenarios many, many times with a lot of effort each time.  The last time we tried it, three people went into tanks.  Scenario players prefer the air-combat part of the battles.

Altitudes picked in scenarios are not a mystery.

Scenarios are crafted to make the experience of flying in them like what you read about if you read accounts of the action in the battle -- to be representative of that action.  For scenarios where there was lots of high-alt action (8th AF vs. Luftwaffe, for example) there are fights that happen at 34k.  For Eastern Front (and Tunisia, Rabaul, etc.) where there was almost no action way up that high, and almost all of it was lower, we craft it that way.  If we didn't, fights would be at 30+k, which would be unrepresentative and highly unrealistic.

I'm terrible at GV play (read worse than dog-fighting). I was a big proponent of a Battle of the Bulge scenario, however - with tanks being the star. It was the main reason I asked for the Sherman to be modeled.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,126593.msg1341098.html#msg1341098
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:35:25 PM by Arlo »

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2018, 07:05:59 PM »
I'm terrible at GV play (read worse than dog-fighting). I was a big proponent of a Battle of the Bulge scenario, however - with tanks being the star. It was the main reason I asked for the Sherman to be modeled.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,126593.msg1341098.html#msg1341098

You would think a historical scenario with GV action would be a good idea. But when there is an opportunity for GV drivers to participate one (Winter Sky, Death Ground 2012), they stay in the MA.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2018, 07:39:34 PM »
You would think a historical scenario with GV action would be a good idea. But when there is an opportunity for GV drivers to participate one (Winter Sky, Death Ground 2012), they stay in the MA.

I blame marketing. Who's in charge of that, nowadays?  :furious

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2018, 08:42:15 PM »
I blame marketing. Who's in charge of that, nowadays?  :furious

If the CM team tried any harder to bring in the GV'ers for that one, it would have looked like that scene with the hooker from Full Metal Jacket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12tce-THLUE
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com