Author Topic: Hitech: Path Tool  (Read 500 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Hitech: Path Tool
« on: December 21, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »
Hitech,

Just tested the river creation function of the path tool. Wish it was enabled and then many of the bridge objects and how short spanned they are makes a lot of sense. Still that leaves the question of how the narrowest widths would turn out in reality crossing the size of polygons the mesh is composed of. Or would the water in the river be an object that lays on top of the ground with properties to allow PTs and LVT to sail on it and stop GVs when they touch it? That would still require some forethought and prepping of the terrain a stream or river will run along. 

It looked like the river tool would cut out a large block of stream creation time for me and all the bridges I want to incorporate into the new terrain I'm constructing. I hope someday you enable that function. For now, I've gotten used to doing it the Michelangelo method with -10 to -30 in the elevation tool and manually cleaning up the shore lines.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Hitech: Path Tool
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 06:39:02 AM »
I recall thinking the same thing about the bridges when they first came out; they are too short for using with the current splined coastlines. If you try to make a river narrow enough it is very hard to stop both banks closing up, even if you do manage it the very narrow river will vanish when viewed at any distance in the game. I think I'll make a post in the wishlist forum for some longer MA-allowable bridges.

I know HTC were having some trouble getting the road/rail/barge supply system to work with the AH3 terrain. I wonder if it still planned to eventually reintroduce this or if it has been permanently put on the back burner. Personally I think having MA town resupply handled by automated trucks etc is preferable as it frees up players from resupply so they can fight.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hitech: Path Tool
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 01:37:47 PM »
I'm not worried about the vanishing since I only put in a stream so I can use bridges for tank micro combat terrain areas. The tankers will see the stream and have to adapt their strategies to using the bridges and camping the bridges. It's a long haul bite custom creating every polygon width of the stream shore line. Polygons are such pig headed little things about what compass heading they like to play nice on....... :lol
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.