Author Topic: Confused about the 163.  (Read 556 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Confused about the 163.
« on: January 10, 2018, 06:15:08 PM »
When you F3 on the runway and sit under a wing, then hit the flaps button. What looks like air brakes lower from the bottom of the wing. Then even in flight, what looks like flaps on the trailing edge inboard don't move at all. What are the ones inboard on the rear of the wing then? 

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
Re: Confused about the 163.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:56:08 PM »
Hey Bustr.  Those are called split flaps on the underside of the wing. They actually produce more lift than conventional trailing edge flaps.  The other devices are elevons.  A combination of elevator and aileron for pitch and roll control of this elevator-less rocket ship.

- 00pk
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:10:56 PM by Golden Dragon »
Fight's on!

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 08:15:07 PM »
Split flaps are normally at the trailing edge of the wing, at least in any description I have been able to find.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:30:17 PM »
I guess it doesn’t matter if they are.  I’m sure the German engineers did a lot of testing before choosing that location.  It’s truly amazing what they did in terms of aerodynamics and rocket and jet propulsion.  We are all very fortunate that Hitler was such a fool.
Fight's on!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 10:10:48 PM »
The push down panel is the landeklappe while what looks like a flap is the trimmklappe.

Landing flap and I'm not sure about the timmklappe because that is one huge trim tab then.

I have the manuals for the 163, just confused to why such a large trim tab.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 01:43:58 AM »
The flaps below the wing are landing flaps, the trailing edge flaps were called trim flaps and the outer surfaces were the elevons. The landing flaps were added after the test pilots complained they could not slow down the plane sufficiently for landing with the trailing edge flaps alone. Re-engineering the wing to fit these landing flaps significantly delayed the 163 project.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »
Got it now, both trailing edge movable surfaces are the aileron and trim tab. Turned off combat trim on the ground and used F3, then watched the trailing edge as I rolled my pitch up and down.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing