Author Topic: cpu temp checking  (Read 1293 times)

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
cpu temp checking
« on: February 10, 2018, 05:25:41 PM »
 :salute Hey all, was wondering how you check your cpu temp. and if there is an app where to download best one.

thanks in advance
Bortas :cheers: :salute

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: cpu temp checking
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »
:salute Hey all, was wondering how you check your cpu temp. and if there is an app where to download best one.

thanks in advance
Bortas :cheers: :salute

Here ya go.  Speccy
Light weight and no background processes when you shut it down.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 09:03:04 PM »
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 02:21:41 AM »
Those above and many more run in Windows and can give you some real time information. However, for just checking how hot you've ran after a lengthy gaming session you can also simply reboot your system and go to the Bios/Uefi settings. Del and F2 are common buttons for that, it depends on your system. Since Windows8 you can also hold Shift while clicking Restart which will take you to the Recovery Environment: Troubleshoot-Advanced-UEFI Firmware settings-Restart. 
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 02:26:55 AM »
Those above and many more run in Windows and can give you some real time information. However, for just checking how hot you've ran after a lengthy gaming session you can also simply reboot your system and go to the Bios/Uefi settings. Del and F2 are common buttons for that, it depends on your system. Since Windows8 you can also hold Shift while clicking Restart which will take you to the Recovery Environment: Troubleshoot-Advanced-UEFI Firmware settings-Restart.

Acually I leave speccy run on monitor 2 while I play on monitor 1.
That's real time results.

BTW, in doing this I have yet to see my CPU go above 28% or My GPU go above 70%.  So now I'm curious about this AHIII-DX11.
If it's not working then why even offer it to us.

Coogan
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:29:44 AM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 03:25:37 AM »
Coogan, I don't quite understand what you mean. 28 and 70 are quite nice percentages. Are you expecting a 100% resource hog or would you like the numbers to be even smaller?

Your method of running Speccy on a second screen is good practice for real time monitoring. Out of curiosity, have you noticed any major changes in various polygon heavy locations like HQ or a furball over a large airfield on fire?
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 05:31:31 AM »
Acually I leave speccy run on monitor 2 while I play on monitor 1.
That's real time results.

BTW, in doing this I have yet to see my CPU go above 28% or My GPU go above 70%.  So now I'm curious about this AHIII-DX11.
If it's not working then why even offer it to us.

Coogan
It works, Coogan, it's what VR uses. I use it every time I fly, and it works perfectly.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »
I've been using Aida64 with which you can monitor just about anything. My Logitech G15 keyboard has an LCD display on it that I can send the Aida64 data to and keep track of it in real time. I overclock both CPU and GPU so I like to keep track of things.

MSI afterburner will also monitor lots of things and graph them over time. Both time and limits are configurable. It's handy to look back after a session of benchmarking, stress testing or gaming and see what you're system was doing at the time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »
I've been using Aida64 with which you can monitor just about anything. My Logitech G15 keyboard has an LCD display on it that I can send the Aida64 data to and keep track of it in real time. I overclock both CPU and GPU so I like to keep track of things.

MSI afterburner will also monitor lots of things and graph them over time. Both time and limits are configurable. It's handy to look back after a session of benchmarking, stress testing or gaming and see what you're system was doing at the time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Yep, I myself, also use AIDA64 Extreme !  and like Drano, I have it to where it shows up different read outs on my Logitech G510 keyboard LCD Display
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »
Coogan, I don't quite understand what you mean. 28 and 70 are quite nice percentages. Are you expecting a 100% resource hog or would you like the numbers to be even smaller?

Your method of running Speccy on a second screen is good practice for real time monitoring. Out of curiosity, have you noticed any major changes in various polygon heavy locations like HQ or a furball over a large airfield on fire?

I agree that those are pretty good percentages.  That's why I was wondering why, when playing DX11 I get those 1-2 second game freezes.
I also have my Task Manager running on the 2nd monitor and have never seen any unusual activity during these freezes. 

Coogan

Game Id's:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 12:42:05 PM »
I agree that those are pretty good percentages.  That's why I was wondering why, when playing DX11 I get those 1-2 second game freezes.
I also have my Task Manager running on the 2nd monitor and have never seen any unusual activity during these freezes. 

Coogan
Ahh, the freezes, I get them too. As far as I know they're still a mystery. What I think is certain they're not related to hardware bottlenecks, it's something else. A well hidden telemetry app phoning home? Something that Microsoft has forgot to tell to indie coding companies like HTC?

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 01:00:45 PM »
Ahh, the freezes, I get them too. As far as I know they're still a mystery. What I think is certain they're not related to hardware bottlenecks, it's something else. A well hidden telemetry app phoning home? Something that Microsoft has forgot to tell to indie coding companies like HTC?

That's what I'm guessing too. Something somewhere is randomly usurping control momentarily. Danged annoying!
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
That's what I'm guessing too. Something somewhere is randomly usurping control momentarily. Danged annoying!

Especially when it does it when I'm just about to drop on a hanger...    :x

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »
 :salute thank you all so much  :salute :cheers:

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 06:40:04 PM »
Hi All,

I use MSI Afterburner for some readouts and HWINFO32 to provide other readouts that AB doesn't have. HWINFO32 is also compatible w\ Riva Tuner Statistics Server (the overlay software companion w\ MSI AB that I also use....both authored\written by Unwinder) so readouts from both AB & HWINFO32 can co-exist on the same RTSS overlay (RTSS has been known to work seamlessly w\ Dx11 and Dx9 API's in most cases).

Using all 3 pieces of software running in the background the combined usage is .6% CPU core usage, 12.8Mb mem usage as measured on my box thru TM.

The largest user is HWINFO32 which has a CPU priority setting of "Normal" and is the 1 that is showing all the CPU usage and approx. 70% of the mem usage on my system......which isn't bad at all but is par for the course due to it's CPU priority level ranking.

Both MSI Afterburner and RTSS have a CPU priority setting of "Below Normal" which is what you want w\ a good, well written monitoring software that isn't taking up unnecessary CPU cycles to operate.....both of these show 0% CPU cycle usage (means that these softwares do not need any continuous CPU core processing time to actually run so they co-exist very well w\ other running processes.....AB uses 1.4Mb of mem and RTSS uses 3.2Mb of mem when running so these 2 are very good monitoring softwares to use for continuous CPU\GPU monitoring purposes IMHO.

Hope this helps.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd