Author Topic: WTH is up with video cards?  (Read 27485 times)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: WTH is up with video cards?
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2018, 06:28:51 PM »
No idea what anyone is talking about, people want waste money to try and make money?

Don’t affect me :old:

They want to make imaginary pretend money by spending real money
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2018, 06:49:17 PM »
Also, Nvidia won’t be making any more cards till June or so because of a shortage of parts.
Got a source?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2018, 08:15:08 PM »
How the heck do you MINE a fake coin???????????????????

Is it a random number generator or something?????????????????????????????????????????   :headscratch:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2018, 09:34:14 PM »
Got a source?

I'd like to see that too, as I've read the exact opposite from several sources, in fact Samsung is in the middle of mass full scale production of GDDR6 memory as of 2 weeks ago, cranking out components for future Volta/nVidia/etc GPUs.  I've seen 3 major tech sites all comment that this likely means that Volta CPUs are coming late Q1 or early Q2 based on the production schedules they've seen.  Not sure what other components in a GPU could cause there to be a shortage that would drastically affect production other than memory right now, but it's certainly possible, I'd just like to read it myself.

Also, Microcenter is now offering GPUs up to the 1080ti at MSRP, so long as you are purchasing it for a new system, and "proving" that buy purchasing a new MB, PSU, and CPU from them as well.  Worst case you could resell the MB/PSU/CPU if you really need a GPU.  Anyone badly needing a GPU right now, and choosing to go this route, if you don't want the other 3 components, I'm in the market for a new 8700k and accompanying Asus MB, and I'll take a PSU as well so long as it's a decent model - PM me if you can't afford the other 3 components, and I'll kick in the $ and some extra for shipping.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:40:06 PM by Gman »

Offline Dimebag

• Nickel Member
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2018, 11:39:10 PM »
I saw it in a mining group
Can’t find it now
No idea if it was real
Time will tell
Dimebag
CO of the Black Tooth Grin
Black Attack!!!

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2018, 08:14:37 AM »
Sure, gpu are better suited for "mining" but there are other types of processor architecture that are far better than even gpu.

If I thought the bitcoin bubble would last longer, I would invest in who makes these processors.

Remember the gold rush when the sellers of mining tools and supplies made money regardless of the fortunes of the minors?

asic (application specific integrated circuits) and fpga (field programmable gate arrays) mine better than cpu or gpu and it reminds me of the early 1990s when texas instruments "mvp chipset" showed with abilities far beyond anything in existence only to have nestor/intel to bring out a neural network chip/card that was even faster.

I haven't kept up with what happened to "mvp" or the "Ni 1000" stuff but I imagine those two family trees of processor design are somehow involved in taking mining beyond gpu mining.

As it stands now, a single gtx1070 mines at around "30 mh/s" while the top end antminer s9 does "13.5 th/s".     In "mh/s", the "m" is "mega" so that means that the "g" in "gh/s" means "giga"and the "t" stands for "tera".

Video cards pricing has come up enough that an antminer s9 is a far better deal even with the substantially higher initial investment.

Anybody considering mining needs to know the who they are up against as competitors........

Inside one of those buildings......

Guys like bitmain are your competition and they also designed the hardware you would use to compete with them.......with their cheap hydroelectric power bills.

I'm hoping new technology will stop the crazy gpu price increases or that mining becomes "uncool".
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:53:14 AM by icepac »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2018, 08:50:12 AM »
I’ll ask again...

How exactly is a bitcoin mined?   What’s the gimmick?
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2018, 09:04:31 AM »
It's strange and every bitcoin "play" has a different story that suits his position.

What I do know is that it's about making financial transactions, checks and balances of said transactions, and ensuring all the numbers are correct down to smallest fractions.

Let's say that the scam pulled off in "office space" and before that "superman 3" can not happen because every smallest "cent" fraction of a cent is accounted for.

There is no "rounding off".

There is no government based "currency" here so they use technology to ensure accuracy and security.

It uses "distributed computing" much like the old "SETI" in the 1990s which people invited in to their computers to use processor power while idle and the screen saver is on.

Nowadays, your browser could be inviting someone in and be using your processor cycles to mine for someone else.

Some browsers have "extensions" for this exact scenario and it's pretty uncool someone remotely could be sucking the life out of your browsing sessions.

What bothers me is that they seem to be creating much of their own traffic simply by the processes of mining and that they are also "creating cash" from nothing at all which sounds like inflation to me.

I feel anybody who hasn't gotten involved before it went past 5000 is simply propping up the structure as the early big investors are trying to extract money without triggering a collapse.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:17:34 AM by icepac »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2018, 09:16:09 AM »
This whole blockchain thing has me at a loss.   What practical value is added to the world by all this mining?   What task are they actually accomplishing?
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2018, 09:20:51 AM »
 Eddie Morra: [at a party] ... Well sure, you'd get a short-term spike, but wouldn't that rapid expansion devalue the stock completely in two years?

Kevin Doyle: No, 'cause there are safeguards!

Eddie Morra: Against aggressive overexpansion? There aren't because there are no safeguards in human nature. We're wired to overreach. Look at history, all the countries that have ever ruled the world - Portugal, with its big, massive navy... All they've got now are salt cods and cheap condoms.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2018, 09:25:06 AM »
I’ll ask again...

How exactly is a bitcoin mined?   What’s the gimmick?

They're doing complicated calculations and when someone finally gets an answer it's worth something. Calculating prime numbers could be used for that among other time and resources consuming tasks (like SETI) but for some odd reason they rather calculate some imaginary things instead of anything useful.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2018, 09:38:26 AM »
They're doing complicated calculations and when someone finally gets an answer it's worth something. Calculating prime numbers could be used for that among other time and resources consuming tasks (like SETI) but for some odd reason they rather calculate some imaginary things instead of anything useful.

That’s why it makes no sense to me then.   It’s imagimary with zero value added.   What a scam. 
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2018, 09:52:37 AM »
One of this mornings headlines:

Hackers Hijack Google’s DoubleClick Advertisement System On YouTube For Cryptocurrency Mining

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/219792/20180127/hackers-hijack-google-s-doubleclick-advertisement-system-on-youtube-for-cryptocurrency-mining.htm
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2018, 09:55:45 AM »
That’s why it makes no sense to me then.   It’s imagimary with zero value added.   What a scam.

Yes, but to their honour it must be said they know that the number of results to be calculated isn't infinite. So there's something to be mined until the resources run out, thereafter it's all about buying and selling. Just like the dollar bill used to have the word "silver" which meant it's value was the same as the silver coin. And now it's just about an agreement about what it's worth.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2018, 06:01:24 AM »
And here are some things to be aware of, even if you are not mining, your computer could be doing it for others.  The latest brand of virus/malware.

https://www.neowin.net/news/youtube-ads-hijacked-visitors-computers-to-mine-cryptocurrency
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com