Author Topic: 17lb cannon rounds blast radius?  (Read 625 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
17lb cannon rounds blast radius?
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:01:21 AM »
Two of us were defending a closed Vbase in 17lb guns (all that was left up) and neither of us could kill the running troops.  I was aiming at the ground in front of the map room door and the troops just walked in untouched.  Does the 17lb ammo have an effective blast radius, or does it only work when directly striking vehicles?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: 17lb cannon rounds blast radius?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:21:06 AM »
17lb guns are strictly anti tank guns and do fire AP rounds, there is no blast radius
And as to my understanding blast damage doesn't harm running troops anyway.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »
I know that bombs and rockets will kill troops.  So HE and AP tank/gun ammo don't?  Also, can't seem to kill them with 37mm manned guns.  Just me, or don't 37mm kill troops?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 03:36:08 PM »
I know that bombs and rockets will kill troops.  So HE and AP tank/gun ammo don't?  Also, can't seem to kill them with 37mm manned guns.  Just me, or don't 37mm kill troops?

All of that could be quickly tested by two players in a custom arena.
If you or somebody else sees me online and wants to give it a try, I could put one up.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:10:13 PM »
I have killed many troops with a 37.  I am not sure with the 17lber.  I just know that with the 37 you have to actually hit the troops with the round.  I'm thinking if you would have hit a troop with the 17, you would have killed one with each round. 
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 09:27:54 PM »
The 17lber and 37mm both require direct hits on running troops to kill them.  Aiming at the ground will be ineffective unless you happen to hit them directly.

The 88mm (if set to AA shells) does have a burst radius and will kill multiple troops in one shot.  I have done that many times.

I believe HE tank shells will also kill multiple troops with one round (blast radius), but I would have to verify that, as it has been a while.
I tend to use the MGs on troops when in a vehicle.

<S>
KP
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:29:41 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.