Author Topic: Cable modem, or ...??  (Read 1418 times)

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Cable modem, or ...??
« on: January 20, 2018, 10:53:38 AM »
Been having a ton of issues with my internet of late........random disconnects in game, rubber bullets (hitting M3's with the 30mm and 50mm from the Me410 with no effect), etc.
Started watching the modem, and at times it will have all the lights lit up like it has internet access, but both the desktops show no access, or, it will randomly lose access and just reboot itself.  Was on the phone with tech support with CableOne twice last night, the automated system would say it was looking at the problem, reset the connection, and all would be well for an hour or so.
The modem feels warmer to the touch than I think it should be.  No restrictions to airflow, I have it sitting on my desk with nothing close to it. 
Went and checked all the coax connections, they are all good. 
I am of the opinion that I need to get another modem from CableOne when they open up Tuesday, or go buy one from Bestbuy this weekend.  Read a lot of user reviews, seems what I am experiencing now is actually normal for these modems after a year or two. 
Anyone have opinions on what cable modem I should purchase, if I go that route?
I had DSL for several years with Windstream (the only phone provider where I live), until THEY started having weekly, then daily, then almost hourly outages, and I switched to cable internet.  Windstream techs told me the problems would only get worse, because when they laid the lines, they thought the internet would just be a fad, so they didn't plan on upgrading or improving their systems..........but when it worked, it was just as fast or faster than what I have seen on cable internet.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Cable modem, or ...??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 01:14:43 PM »
Heat kills electric components. Every device and component has an estimated life span in "normal" conditions which usually means average room temperature plus some inside the case. Add 10 deg centigrade continuously and the life span is half of the estimate. That's true for all electronics, including computers, radios, TV-sets, modems... If it's hot to touch it's too warm and will suffer an untimely death.

For your current modem it sounds like the final countdown has started. For your next one, if there's air intake holes in the bottom try to elevate it a little off the table. The sleek single millimetre often seen is most likely insufficient, a centimetre would be much better despite looking a bit funny. 
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »
I agree with Bizman that your modem is on its way out. You can buy one from BestBuy but you will still need to contact the cable provider to hook it up.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »
I have had my cable modem for 5 years or so and it still works perfectly since the day I got it, speed test 100 mbps or over, upload around 10mbps which is what my internet package is. Always low ping 45 or lower. Only incident was the power adapter that went bad after a storm knocked out the power. Mine is a cisco DPC3010
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 05:02:32 PM by Meatwad »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:24:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies, folks.
I suspected the modem, seeing it reboot itself pretty much confirmed my suspicions.
It's gotten to the point that I don't log in and try to play the game.  The modem will stay connected pretty well all day, allowing me to surf or read, but when I log into the arenas and try to play, things will start getting laggy, rubber bullets/rounds, then "Lost UDP", followed shortly by out of the arenas and the "Lost Host Connection" message.........then I have to unplug the modem, let it cool for a while, plug it in and reboot it, then try to get online again.
I will contact my ISP when their offices open Tuesday and get a replacement. 
Buying a cable modem at BestBuy sounded good, til I read the reviews and realized I was gonna have to contact tech support anyway to get them to make the network recognize the new router.........just not what I want to do right now..........

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 05:49:21 PM »
if you type 192.168.100.1, does that give you a page of modem information?

sometimes if the signal levels are garbage the modem will reboot itself. Spec out here is -12 to +12 on incoming signal, and a transmit of 35 to 50

Also random reboots are sometimes caused by a faulty power adapter. Then there are times the modem is just junk
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:50:54 PM by Meatwad »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 06:56:38 PM »
if you type 192.168.100.1, does that give you a page of modem information?
When I type that address in, a lot of times it gives the "cannot connect" message.  Sometimes when I type that in to see what the modem diagnostics are seeing, it will reboot.  Weird, at least to me.

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 10:01:37 AM »
Try 192.168.0.1 for the address, per Cable One's tech info.  login will be 'admin' for the account name and 'password' for the password, unless you have previously changed it from the default.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 08:22:40 AM »
Update:
Got a replacement modem, brought it home and got it up and running....same thing.  Very trashy stuff when you looked at the connection data and the event logs.......lots of CRITICAL events.
Asked for a service call, and the next a tech showed up. 
I understand a "little" of what he tried to tell me, not all of it though.  Turns out not a lot of people are using cable TV or internet where I live, so I had a massive signal or power overload, not letting the modem send data back upstream (my words, not his.  Paraphrased to the best of my understanding).
Installed a splitter to buffer the downstream power, he turned the amps down a bit, and retried it.
Seems to be working better now, no reboots, no more rubber bullets in game.
His speed test showed 230 Mbps download, upload was only 9 Mbps.
My tests since then have ran in the low 100's on the download Mbps, and right around 11 Mbps uploads.
Summary:  I am back up and running online, not getting discoed like I was.  It was bad enough that I refused to up a plane and give away a free kill when I got discoed.  Only coincidence, I know, but the discoes almost always occurred when I was fighting someone or getting ready to engage.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 09:14:27 AM »
Discos during a fight may not necessarily have been coincidental. Compared to a cruise, there's much more data traffic both ways. The files are tiny by size but they are many.

This was the first time ever I've heard about someone getting too fast of a connection! That reminds me of a happy fellow who was the sole cable modem user in a housing cooperative, getting all the speed for just himself for the price of his fraction of the bunch.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline LTCClark

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 11:06:01 AM »
If you are on Spectrum they have been having tons of issues with their DNS servers going down and some times their DHCP servers

Try setting your DNS to manual and using open dns

instructions can also be found here if you have kids and want to block adult sites etc.

https://use.opendns.com/
Get VoiceBot and Use Speech for game commands
www.voicebot.net
AutoHotkey and Software repo maps etc for AHIII

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 04:32:01 AM »
Same thing here, Spectrum , too good of a signal ... i call BS...it was fine when it was Bright house.. the new company is public now and they are trying to squeeze ever bit they can out of an already overloaded system. 
Soooo's I'm standing there i got my ......NM

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 08:10:38 PM »
Update:
Got a replacement modem, brought it home and got it up and running....same thing.  Very trashy stuff when you looked at the connection data and the event logs.......lots of CRITICAL events.
Asked for a service call, and the next a tech showed up. 
I understand a "little" of what he tried to tell me, not all of it though.  Turns out not a lot of people are using cable TV or internet where I live, so I had a massive signal or power overload, not letting the modem send data back upstream (my words, not his.  Paraphrased to the best of my understanding).
Installed a splitter to buffer the downstream power, he turned the amps down a bit, and retried it.
Seems to be working better now, no reboots, no more rubber bullets in game.
His speed test showed 230 Mbps download, upload was only 9 Mbps.
My tests since then have ran in the low 100's on the download Mbps, and right around 11 Mbps uploads.
Summary:  I am back up and running online, not getting discoed like I was.  It was bad enough that I refused to up a plane and give away a free kill when I got discoed.  Only coincidence, I know, but the discoes almost always occurred when I was fighting someone or getting ready to engage.

lol where do you live Eddiek- I could use that kind of internet? lol

C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 08:14:46 PM »
Same thing here, Spectrum , too good of a signal ... i call BS...it was fine when it was Bright house.. the new company is public now and they are trying to squeeze ever bit they can out of an already overloaded system.
well they have spectrum in San Antonio-I was hoping they would come to Pleasanton where I live.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.