Author Topic: Looking for advice about road trip  (Read 1826 times)

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
Looking for advice about road trip
« on: January 25, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »
Hello Ladies and Gents,

This summer, the family and I will fly across the pond to visit places of the USA we've never been to yet.

I'd mostly like to visit national parks and scenic cities/towns around Twin falls ID, Ely NV, Moab UT and Phoenix AZ.

We'd like to hike, but with a limit of 2-3 hours/day as the little one will only be 6.5 years old.

Any recommendations / experiences welcome :)

Thanks in advance

:salute
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Looking for advice about road trip
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 11:00:09 AM »
So all desert?

I would say definitely don't hit Phoenix AZ in the middle of Summer, it can be absolutely scorching.
The other locations shouldn't be too bad in the summer but Phoenix is pretty hot.
You might look at Sedona, AZ if there's nothing specific to Phoenix. It's a couple hours north of Phoenix.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sedona+arizona&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI6rPLy_PYAhUr34MKHdsuBG4Q_AUICygC&biw=1459&bih=835
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »
Keep in mind that summer is peak travel season and most places are going to be booked solid. Make sure you make reservations in advance. Places like the Grand Canyon are going to be PACKED, be prepared for a wait to get into the parking lot and a long search for a parking place. In Utah we visited Lehman caves and had a great time there. Since it will be hot outside, the cave will be nicely cool to you. The walking tours are short, only about an hour or so.

Phoenix will be a hot mess for you with temps over 110 and some significant humidity. Plan on indoor activities and drink LOTS of water. Frankly as an Arizona native, I avoided Phoenix and the metro area around it like the plague. Tucson has a couple nice attractions, the Sonora Desert museum, a day long visit and Old Tucson, a tourist trap "frontier town", movie studio.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 11:14:28 AM »
Moab, UT, I've been to Arches National Park. Lot of short trails there to pull over on the road and hike to.
Get there right when the gate opens though, it can get really busy and it gets hot after 11am.
Moab is 'next' door, perhaps plan a 2 day trip in that area.
You can stay in Grand Junction, CO which is about a 1 hr drive to both areas.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 12:27:28 PM »
If you are traveling north to south, stop at the Grand Canyon.  It’ll be a zoo of crowds in the summer but, worth the stop if you’ve never seen it. 

Phoenix is oppressively hot and humid in the summer.

Tucson has several great attractions, the Pima Air Museum being one (allow a full day and do the bone yard bus tour).  To escape the heat, take the drive up Mt Lemmon north of Tucson and lunch at the Iron Door restaurant.  Ride the ski lift across the street to the top for great views.  The temps on Mt Lemmon are most often 20 degrees cooler than down in Tucson.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
One word.  Yosemite.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 01:51:11 PM »
Starting in the north be sure to visit Glacier National Park.  One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and not too far from ID.

From there it's possible to zip through the corner of Yellowstone (well, not exactly zip... traffic is a nightmare) and spend a night outside the Grand Tetons (There's some really great disbursed camping... non campground... just to the east of Jackson Hole).

Continuing south you could hit Rocky Mountain National Park although it's a little out of the way.  Trail Ridge Road is a bit frightening but it's worth the trip.  Just like it's name says you follow a ridge on a narrow road well above the tree line.

The best way to see the area around Moab is either in a Jeep or on a mountain bike.  I used to go there every year for the Easter Jeep Safari.  Considering you're travelling there are Jeep rentals and maps available.  It's easy to spend a week and not hit all the trails.

Arches National Park is also worth a visit and also has off the beaten path Jeep access.

Finally Grand Canyon National Park.  If you didn't have the little one in tow you might try an overnight hike into the canyon.

If you make it through all that you're going to be pretty worn out.  Good luck.  Have fun.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:53:28 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 02:07:24 PM »
Don't overlook Kansas.  After all, we have Mt. Sunflower, which is a relatively short hike. :uhoh 
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 03:57:39 PM »
If you are traveling north to south, stop at the Grand Canyon.  It’ll be a zoo of crowds in the summer but, worth the stop if you’ve never seen it. 

Agreed.  Make your reservations now.  You'll want to stay at one of the places in the park.

Grand Canyon, like Niagara Falls, is one of those places that just doesn't get represented well in photographs and movies.

- oldman

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 05:33:34 PM »
I think you do want to do Arizona in the summer.  You must experience that heat to really get this place.  You have air conditioned cars houses and restaurants so you really aren't out in it all the time.  Of course all the nice hotels have swimming pools too.  The grand Canyon and Sedona are up at altitude so they are fine in the summer anyways.   I ride a motorcycle 12 months here in Phoenix.   I survive it quite well.  That intense heat must be experienced.  It is Arizona.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 05:35:57 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
Good point.  This time of the year in Arizona is fantastic.  Crystal clear blue skies and temperatures are in the mid 70s.  Summer, temperatures in the mid 110s.  Just a matter of how much you want to warm up.  :D

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 10:12:22 AM »
Hey thank you all for the info and tips :)

Yes, I'd like to mostly travel through the deserts. I've already been twice to Nevada and California (visited Yosemite both times :) ) and once to Oregon (Crater Lake  :O) and Washington States, and the desert is the most outlandish scenery for us. I was tempted to go see Colorado too but we regularly go to the French Alps and I finally decided to go see some places really different from what we're used to.

For the same reason (maybe we're some kind of masochists), we don't mind to experience the heat of places like Phoenix... for a limited time at least ;) Like Zoney said, it's a plus to really get the places.

I'll try to hit a max of the locations and activities you listed, thanks again and I'll keep you posted  :rock 
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 10:48:26 AM »
Another thing to see after the Grand Canyon is the Great Meteor Crater.  It’s a short side trip to the east when traveling from the canyon to Phoenix.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 12:47:09 PM »
Chickasaw national recreation area... Sulphur Ok

See real America...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »
If your 106 miles from Chicago, you got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark and your all wearing sunglasses.
I suggest you.. Hit it!
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."