Author Topic: Processes  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
Processes
« on: January 25, 2018, 01:16:36 PM »
So i notice i have 109 processes running on my computer that seems like alot and i dont know why. it says i have 27 back ground processes and 75 windows. why so many for windows it is windows 10.  and how can i cut down on them with out ending the wrong one and shutting down my computer
G3-MF

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Processes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »
I just looked and saw 85 system processes and 67 background processes on our Windows 10 box.

I am not sure you can trim down the processes like you could in previous versions of the operating system.  I'll have to dig.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:39:47 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 01:40:38 PM »
Start by looking at the non-Windows ones. If you see something familiar like Adobe Flash Player Updater, or jusched.exe (Java Update Scheduler), go to the control panel of said program and disable automatic updates. Also right click the Window Start Menu icon in the lower left corner and choose Programs and Features. Uninstall every program you really don't need, including the Windows apps you never use. Unfortunately there's some features you aren't allowed to remove any more, at least not easily. Let's hope they don't interfere too much. You may have to do it several times until everything is gone. Some of them may even reappear after updates, so keep that location in mind for future cleaning.

Now that you're in the Settings, go through every title and subtitle. There's a lot of things in various places with a slider set to enabled. Many of them ask if they can gather and send information about you for marketing purposes. Well, they actually say they want to enhance your experience, but all they really want is your money. Disable them! 

For further options to tame your Windows, www.blackviper.com is a good source of information.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 01:43:14 PM »
ok if i use that method when i restart my computer will all them processes restart aswell? i am not having any issues i just find it odd windows has so many things running.
G3-MF

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 01:45:37 PM »
Thank you Bizman will start working on it soon to try and clean it up some
G3-MF

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 01:47:34 PM »
What I told is permanent but not irreversible.

If you want to experiment before doing anything radical, you can right click any process and choose "End Task". It'll restart at next boot. If you want further information about the process you're about to kill, choose "Search Online".

One further note: If you take the route of uninstalling programs, Google for those you're don't know. Also notice that many computer manufacturers add their own versions of many programs that are already native in Windows. Almost every program carrying your computer maker's name can safely be removed. The only exception is drivers, some of which are delivered as programs.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:52:53 PM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »

For further options to tame your Windows, www.blackviper.com is a good source of information.

Good tip / recommendation for those wanting to learn how to clean up and tweak their OS, regardless if it is Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 or Windows 10

Highly recommend people check out and use www.blackviper.com

( Also recommend people go through the stickied threads at the top of the Tech Support forum and read up on the tips that Skuzzy has previously posted and frequently updates with new tips)

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »
I recall there used to be a freeware program called game boost that would go through and turn off all non-essential processes for gaming.  It was pretty simple and you just clicked a button.  I'm sure now it's probably full of cryptominers and pop-up adds, but might be worth looking into as well.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 03:37:37 PM »
I just looked and saw 85 system processes and 67 background processes on our Windows 10 box.

I am not sure you can trim down the processes like you could in previous versions of the operating system.  I'll have to dig.

I've found w\ Win 10 that you can still shut down services & such as in other previous MS OS'es but what is different w\ Win 10 is that if the OS sees that it needs to restart a shutdown service or process depending on what\which service\process is trying to start, even if it has been set to disabled, it will reenable & restart it on it's own w\o user input.

I have recently observed this occurring on my box, difference is that I was actually adding new all-in-one software on my box as we purchased a new all-in-one unit that was also wireless capable (so I could connect to it from my box thru the Netgear AC1900 modem\router unit that we have now to share it....have the wife's box hard wired to unit thru USB). I had previously disabled the printer spooler in my copy of Win 10 as I wasn't using it. When I went in TS to enable it I found that Win 10 had already located the unit & had already reenabled & restarted the print spooler on it's own once I had the software installed. I then ran tests to see how well the OS handled this........all worked flawlessly. While I was there I checked the rest of the services\processes that I had reset prior to see if the OS had made any other changes on it's own & found all else still set up as I had initially set them.

So from my experience, all still works as in the previous versions..........but be aware that depending on what the OS sees\thinks which process\service that was changed\disabled is critical\necessary it may restart it autonomously.

Hope this helps.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline LTCClark

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 11:08:52 AM »
I always recommend Dual Boot for PCs if you are playing MMO games such as Aces High

IE, having one installation of windows for your work / general purpose etc.

and having the other with only AH and whatever other games you play installed with the controller drivers etc.
https://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/
Get VoiceBot and Use Speech for game commands
www.voicebot.net
AutoHotkey and Software repo maps etc for AHIII

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 12:54:43 PM »
I always recommend Dual Boot for PCs if you are playing MMO games such as Aces High

IE, having one installation of windows for your work / general purpose etc.

and having the other with only AH and whatever other games you play installed with the controller drivers etc.
https://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

I strongly recommend to not setup a dual-boot or multi-boot computer system when using Windows 7 and/or Windows 8 then adding Windows 10 as your 2nd OS or 3rd OS!

In doing so, once you start to add Windows 10 for your second boot option or 3rd boot option it will take control, overriding all your previous settings you had originally set your Windows 7 and/or Windows 8 OS up for....

Things like adding/updating your Windows 7 / 8 OS installations with missing or hidden windows updates that you might have withheld from installing because you wanted to keep the "data and telemetry data gathering processes" from constantly running in the background, etc...setting Windows 10 up to dual boot or multi-boot with Windows 7/8 completely messes everything up, causing more issues than it's worth...especially if you have tweaked your Windows 7 OS it Windows 8 OS for optimum performance...

I myself have already been through this issue and posted about it in this forum back when I came across this issue with dual/multi-booting Windows 10

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline LTCClark

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
This is alleviated by reading the post and also installing Easy BCE

or Easy boot Code Editor.

Your Computers should go to a screen to allow you to select which operating system you wish to load once you have created those entries.

This can also be accomplished within windows by reading the article.

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

or By using the system properties and advanced tab.
Get VoiceBot and Use Speech for game commands
www.voicebot.net
AutoHotkey and Software repo maps etc for AHIII

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 01:40:51 AM »
Do not Install ITUNES :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 05:14:36 AM »
Do not Install ITUNES :old:

I thought everyone knew that.  iTunes for Windows is horrible.  Quite frankly, any application from Apple for Windows is bad.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 05:57:02 PM »
This is alleviated by reading the post and also installing Easy BCE

or Easy boot Code Editor.

Your Computers should go to a screen to allow you to select which operating system you wish to load once you have created those entries.

This can also be accomplished within windows by reading the article.

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

(Image removed from quote.)

or By using the system properties and advanced tab.

what is alleviated?   installing Windows 10 as a 2nd or 3rd boot option?  ( dual-boot / multi-boot ) and not having it wreck your previous Windows 7 and/or Windows 8.1 OS installations?

I have read the article/post you linked to... I am and have been fully familiar with EasyBCD for some years now....

nothing shows or explains how to keep Windows 10 from corrupting a person's windows 7  OS and/or Windows 8.0 or 8.1 OS partition(or HDD ) that they have setup in dual-boot or multi-boot computer setups....

If you have found a way that will keep windows 10 from taking control of the MBR as well as re-installing hidden/removed/or never installed windows updates on existing windows 7/8/8.1 OSes or porking them..........

please do share your knowledge, of how you can keep Windows 10 from monkeying up your Windows 7/8.0/8.1 OS installations when adding Windows 10 to a dual boot / multi boot setup

if you know how to do this and keep Windows 10 from messing up a cleaned / tweaked Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro OS installation, I would be very grateful

Sincerely,

TC

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:59:32 PM by TequilaChaser »