Author Topic: Learning to crawl  (Read 602 times)

Offline ML52

• Copper Member
Learning to crawl
« on: January 31, 2018, 11:44:30 PM »
I've downloaded and begun learning to use Gimp, have a basic understanding of layering and the use of the path tool. My question this time is about protrusions like the guns on a P-47 wing. Should I make one layer of the wing outline and another for details like those gun mount panels? My thinking is I can make that outline layer, others for panels, rivets, lights, etc. Is that correct?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Learning to crawl
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:13:13 AM »
I've downloaded and begun learning to use Gimp, have a basic understanding of layering and the use of the path tool. My question this time is about protrusions like the guns on a P-47 wing. Should I make one layer of the wing outline and another for details like those gun mount panels? My thinking is I can make that outline layer, others for panels, rivets, lights, etc. Is that correct?

As Devil and Greebo will tell you, you can add a layer for just about anything you want.   Those guys have hundreds of layers in some cases.

I've found that the more layers I have the easier it is.  I've gotten to the point that I am using layers for landing gear doors....gun bay doors...exhaust manifolds....the propeller....    Heck, I even have a layer for the radiator scoop itself.   Occasionally I will re-merge some layers to cut down when prudent, but the sky is the limit.   Do what makes your life easier.   JMO.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline ML52

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 01:07:54 AM »
Thank you Sir! I foresee many hours ahead of me. Lol.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 01:19:11 AM »
Thank you Sir! I foresee many hours ahead of me. Lol.

You're most welcome.

My first skin was a single layer and took me about six months to do.   Two years later I did one in a single night with around 35 layers.   It helped that a lot of the stuff I was able to copy over from other skins but you get the idea.

It gets easier and you get better with practice.   I'm not in the top tier yet, but I'm improving.  Keep at it.   The people on this forum are really helpful, too.   But be careful.  This is addicting.

:cheers: :salute
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:22:43 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 12:08:27 PM »
My rule is; if in doubt add another layer. I don't use Gimp but most graphic programs will let you merge layers later on which is always going to be easier than trying to split a layer into two. What is important is to label your layers clearly in a way you will understand later on and if Gimp supports layer groups it is helpful if you can put all the paint layers into one group, panel line layers into another and so on.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »
My rule is; if in doubt add another layer. I don't use Gimp but most graphic programs will let you merge layers later on which is always going to be easier than trying to split a layer into two. What is important is to label your layers clearly in a way you will understand later on and if Gimp supports layer groups it is helpful if you can put all the paint layers into one group, panel line layers into another and so on.

This. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned