Author Topic: Gave It a Go, But Gotta Go  (Read 10308 times)

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
Re: Gave It a Go, But Gotta Go
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2018, 08:18:36 PM »
I'm so drunk and high right meow... :bolt:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2018, 03:58:54 AM »
All the talk about what the game has become and why is interesting but not much of that reflects what ThunderEGG was trying to say.  It's not the graphics, it's not the game mechanics so much as it is the attitude of people playing.  Used to be when most folks logged into the arena they'd salute or say hello to the "country" and usually there was a gaggle of salutes right back.  People played together in ways they no longer do, and the sort of "forming" of that culture in the game is no longer prevalent like it once was.  It was almost like a "game etiquette" sort of thing, where when you were learning the game the more experienced guys not only played in a way that set an example, but talked to the new guys and in many cases stopped them from doing stupid things that would grief other players, particularly if it griefed opponents.  Call it what you will, a kind of code of honor, just simple good gamesmanship, whatever, it was something infused in new players and most would follow it.  Naturally, there's always the few who don't and would be a PITA to everyone, but most seemed to work together.

It was VERY common for people to announce what they were going to work on... bomb a strat, cap a field, go after a CV, go kill some tanks, and of course there were far more missions.  I know the numbers aren't what they once were, but that doesn't explain lack of missions now, only lack of really big ones.  It's that kind of difference in game play that EGG was talking about and I know that because we flew together every week for the last 5-6 months and we both identified this factor as what we see as the biggest change in the game.

I don't know what the answer is, to try and recover that, but I know this: size matters little.  In the past, the same thing took place at night when the numbers were lower, lower even than a normal late date/evening population in the MA now.  Now it seems we have small groups start something, maybe a base take, and 6 or 7 planes head to the base.  5 minutes later half of them are gone and don't come back to keep helping the effort... they simply go to another part of the map and do something else.  I don't know why, I just don't understand all the bouncing around without saying a word. 

Part of it I suspect was because squads seemed more dominant back in the day and worked together.  Now, squads are mostly one or two guys on at once and even they don't fly together.  That's the mystery for me.  I can remember if you didn't have a squad you couldn't fly for an hour without someone inviting you to join theirs they were so prevalent, but now not so much.

Is it the people?  Maybe, maybe some.  Is it the game itself?  Well, maybe parts of it take more work than before or parts don't work the same, but fun can still be had if you're determined, so I don't think it's much of that.  I just think it's how people play the game now versus before.  The espirit de corps tank seems to be on empty.  The country channel chatter is all but dead compared to before, and most of it has nothing to do with what action is going on where.  There used to be furballs that went on all night long between a couple of bases, and though they could get huge, they often weren't more than a dozen planes and we still have a dozen planes, but rare is the furball that continues so long except over central islands with close bases.  The current game just feels strange, like watching a rock concert from inside a phone booth where you don't get the experience of the crowd around you.  That's what's missing now that was there before.  There used to be a willingness to help that's missing.  Help used to show up when someone asked; now you're lucky if can get a set of troops to a flattened field with a flattened town with all the guns down.  It's just strange, and it doesn't feel at all like the game we once knew.

A word about ThunderEGG: many of you already know this, but the EGG is one of the finest players I've ever had the pleasure to share some sky with.  He loves the game, and likes the people who play it, no matter what side they are on, you can see it in his postings here in the forum and many have experienced it in game play.  Behind that microphone and "A-tailed" B-17 is one excellent human being that I am glad to call a friend.  I sure will miss our conversations and mission chit-chat.  He's opening a new chapter in his life, I am happy for him and wish him a great deal of success.  <RD> ThunderEGG, and all the best, sir! 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:18:46 AM by Zener »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2018, 07:10:39 AM »
<S> Zener.  That was a well-written piece and its hard to disagree with what you say.  I remember too logging in and greeting the country on channel, and saying "G'night" on country when logging off.    Something has changed over time for sure - I don't know if the character of the community has shifted because of the loss of some key players who had the ability to organize and get people to take part in missions?  Or if the community changing is just a reflection of all online communities changing - I don't play any other games so I can't compare. 

Best wishes to ThndrEgg.   He will be missed.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2018, 07:25:52 AM »
I disagree totally

PM people and make the effort to communicate with people :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
This thread and Zener's post especially has inspired me.  I'm going to try to make a change in the way I play.   

My belated New Years' resolution:  From now on, I'm going to greet the country when I login, and ask where I might help out.  If there is a country that is clearly the low-numbered country and I am able to switch, I'm going to the low-numbered country to help out.

<S> all.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2018, 01:12:50 PM »
I'm gonna limit my in game conversation to fellow squadie's, by and large, and pretend I'm in a war.  :D

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2018, 03:44:43 PM »
Squads(groups of friends who work together) are what is missing from the good old days of the different community Zener is trying to put his finger on. My squad POTW on squad night does not put up missions. Waystin sometimes announces POTW is going to a field to break everything, feel free to meet there, and players show up. Once there, players no longer are as good as 10 years ago at precision bombing, taking out what needs to be down, and suppressing fighters. Forget telling them what has to happen, they get offended. They want the action and fun of the situation but don't want to be responsible to the situation. The action is more important than any personal sacrifice or delayed gratification. And why you suddenly are alone, with them at some other location on the map when things require a little reaching deep to go the last foot.

I know both the knights and rooks suffer from the same issue becasue POTW was knight until about 2 years ago, I'm not sure the bish do because they always have M3 hidden under every bush and a seemingly endless supply of greify tactics to abuse the combat zone with. They remind me of group tactics popular in xbox games by younger players. After everyone finally "stumbles" through breaking everything, the same question is asked. Did anyone bring troops?

Ten years ago during the height of squads in the MA, troops were always on the check list becasue of competent coordinated precision bomber pilots who were going to accomplish their mission. There were constant verbal contests by bomber pilots on the exact way to fly over targets to shut down fields and towns in the minimum number of passes. And they did it like clockwork coordinated with the local initiatives. Today, I watch bomber pilots show up, drop their load and move on. There may be coordination on squad channel, I suspect there is none becasue of how out of sync the run is to the actual needs on the ground.

I keep watching attacks where 10 years ago two or three bomber pilots would work out flattening a field and town, then do it very often in a single pass. Today the whole affair of attacking a field to take it is like watching soccer. Eleven prima donnas who happen to be kicking the ball in the same direction against eleven other prima donnas kicking it the other way. An oversight, many of our younger players in the game today grew up with soccer and not baseball or football. Then years ago the primary demographic grew up with those two sports which promote teamwork as the highest virtue. And many were ex-military.

I get the impression that the remnants still in the game of the squads that led the MA ten years ago are not leading today. It was the squads that were the community then while today the MA operates like an arena full of individuals. They don't seem to be interested in being organized by anyone including up to being offended if you try to get them involved with things. But, they will happily show up on their own terms and feel no responsibility to stay if things get tough. Another saying that is becoming popular in the MA, never trust a green guy. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2018, 06:47:57 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:48:25 AM by Skuzzy »
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2018, 07:22:01 PM »
Only one symptom, I've lived long enough to have played many sports including soccer, and of all the American sports, for kids, it is the least organized other then 11 kids kicking a ball one direction against 11 kids the other way. I have a nephew who works as a coach and sports medicine for college soccer. Yes by that point, there finally is something more but, it's still 11 prima donnas kicking a ball. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2018, 09:12:02 PM »
<S> Zener.. thanks for the good word. Pretty well stated.

I'm here in the Philippines now.. I'll have a San Miguel or Red Horse for ya. ;)  :cheers:

<S>
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2018, 10:28:54 AM »
I think you'll actually find that you'll have more fun burning all of your perks and not giving a ch1t about any one else and tearing it up, than you think.

I've always wanted to do NOE 29's..... I have 8,500 fighter perks that have to be burned as well, mostly from deacking Vbase.. be a ton of 262 sortee's and other High end perk birds. Figured I would have some fun with it.

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2018, 01:37:07 PM »

I'm here in the Philippines now.. I'll have a San Miguel or Red Horse for ya. ;)  :cheers:

<S>

I'll pass on the Red Horse.  (San Miguel) Sam Magoo, now that's the brew.  Few of those and a couple skewers of that street vendor pork (we hope it's pork :eek:) and life is good.  Enjoy yourself, Thunder.  I'll watch the news in case you try and sneak a base while you're there. <RD>

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2018, 07:39:12 PM »

Back in the day, PM stayed PM and wasn't loudly answered on 200.

Purpose of PM is to not burden the rest of the arena.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2018, 01:25:03 AM »
I am going to PM you every leap year :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2018, 07:19:22 AM »
I am going to PM you every leap year :old:

Guess that's better than jumping him every leap year (or when he's not looking).  :eek: