Author Topic: Ace's High MA "war"  (Read 4052 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ace's High MA "war"
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 03:28:10 PM »
The Melee arena is an open world filled with WW2 toys to be used as players imaginations determine. Flipping the map sooner than it's rotation cycle is one option available from many functions in that open world Melee arena. The special events and AvA were created so our game could be played as a war game.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »
The Melee arena is an open world filled with WW2 toys to be used as players imaginations determine. Flipping the map sooner than it's rotation cycle is one option available from many functions in that open world Melee arena. The special events and AvA were created so our game could be played as a war game.

^^^^^^^^^
I completely agree with this. I'll further add that the MA is the best place to practice for events/the AvA.

:cheers:

(And opinions will vary .... which is ok. :))

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 03:57:36 PM »
Certs is a breath mint!  :old:

https://youtu.be/E8zwnXjIjPM
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:59:34 PM by Max »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 04:08:28 PM »

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 04:14:59 PM »
A fun, noisy, fussy monopoly real estate game with cannons/bombs instead of dice     :banana: :old:
Ground Pounders ...

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 05:12:40 PM »
If they are different then .....

You ran out of letters?

Would you like to buy a vowel?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 05:29:07 PM »
You ran out of letters?

Would you like to buy a vowel?

... then they are not the same. (Was leaving that obvious conclusion to you.)  :D

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 05:57:10 PM »
So, because the MA has no real historical significance other than the rides it’s not a war game?

I hope that is not the case.

To have a war you must have two or more entities firing at one another.

It may not be the same “historical” context you are basing your definition from but it does not remove the fact that the MA is a war just played, well, more dynamic than any of the other special events.

Understand that by dynamics I am referring to more than the cats that are participating. It’s an open ended war that is volatile at best. There is no clear objectives for victory other than base caps and the eventual map rotation for winning the map. There are, however, missions that spawn micro objectives that at least within the scope of the folks in the mission, provide objective victory that in the end supports the map victory for rotation.

While I do agree with your comparison between the MA and the special events stuff (some of it at least) the MA is still viable as a war game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 06:34:38 PM »
Its a combat game in an open world sand box "using WW2 toys" that "you" have decided is a war game.

With unlimited lives there are no winners or looser's, just how often you can kick the other guy in the knee and get home to get a kills or damage message in the text buffer to show off with. You are free to organize friends and other players with green avatars to go with you as a group effort to create activity at a location provided for that kind of activity. Flipping the map just gets you some perks and another map to do it all over again alone, with friends, or with organized efforts. The AvA and special events arenas were provided to "play an organized war game".

The only war game in the "Melee" arena is the fantasy role you choose to assume in a sandbox filled with WW2 toys.

Melee (/ˈmeɪleɪ/ or /ˈmɛleɪ/, French: mêlée [mɛle]) generally refers to disorganized close combat in battles fought at abnormally close range with little central control once it starts.

In today's Melee arena, zero central control and 100% pandemonium.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 06:35:44 PM »
So, because the MA has no real historical significance other than the rides it’s not a war game?

I hope that is not the case.

To have a war you must have two or more entities firing at one another.

It may not be the same “historical” context you are basing your definition from but it does not remove the fact that the MA is a war just played, well, more dynamic than any of the other special events.

Understand that by dynamics I am referring to more than the cats that are participating. It’s an open ended war that is volatile at best. There is no clear objectives for victory other than base caps and the eventual map rotation for winning the map. There are, however, missions that spawn micro objectives that at least within the scope of the folks in the mission, provide objective victory that in the end supports the map victory for rotation.

While I do agree with your comparison between the MA and the special events stuff (some of it at least) the MA is still viable as a war game.

By loose definition, American football is a war game. I'm just not that loose.  :D

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
As an organized team sport it is accepted as a foundational sport along with others to teach youth the basics of strategy, team work, and self sacrifice that may one day be needed to help train them for war. It is not a war game but, can be aided by strategies from war. It is a game opposed to games designed specifically as war games to teach or test the strategies and principles of war.

The Melee arena is a daily cluster flop of keystone cops arena so customers can play act at war if that is what they choose between their ears. While running around like ferrets in a chicken shed throwing poo at each other and acting all kinds of ridiculous. You can get a taste of it in these forums by reading the years of complaints about how everyone else plays the Melee arena game wrong. There has never been any right way to play in the Melee arena, just play and take your chances.

Defining the Melee arena play as a war game is one more person who wants everyone else to play in the Melee arena their personal special way because, because, because, you get the point. There is not a special ingredient in the Melee arena noodle sauce. You just up a ride and take your chances like everyone has done since 1999 in the Melee arena.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 06:57:02 PM »
You guys are cracking me up over here.

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 06:58:36 PM »
Its a combat game in an open world sand box "using WW2 toys" that "you" have decided is a war game.

In today's Melee arena, zero central control and 100% pandemonium.

And i'm sure some agree that pandemonium is exactly why they play AH.  A game where one player can capture an entire town and airfield with every tool in the enemys toy box being used to try and stop them.  It's a hoot.   :cheers:

On edit: If I wanted the 'central control' aspect i'd see if the Army would take my tired old butt back and put me in a line unit.  Been there, done that 50yrs ago,  AH much much more fun and pain free.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:02:22 PM by redcatcherb412 »
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 07:00:04 PM »
And no, I don’t believe I have ever asked anyone to play the game they way I think they should.

Stop assuming stuff man, you do this often when someone doesn’t agree with your thought process.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »
It's not an assumption, you express that as your opinion by your answers to everyone's reply's not aligned with your fantasy about the Melee arena. You are projecting it by the construct of your responses.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing