Author Topic: Nvdia "Turing" cards  (Read 4580 times)

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
Re: Nvdia "Turing" cards
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 01:34:09 PM »
The only reason youtube took off so much was because it was full of illigal content. Its a repeatable pattern.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »
The big players are now using train cars for mobile data centers so they can move them when the electric rates go up in an area.  Leaving behind increased rates for everyone.  Neat, huh?

I'm a firm believer in karma and generally don't like to see anyone fail or fall. That said, I'm growing a desire to see these miners go belly up.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 07:05:01 PM »
I'm a firm believer in karma and generally don't like to see anyone fail or fall. That said, I'm growing a desire to see these miners go belly up.

I am not sure if this is an accurate description, but some of us dislike the excess of others because we know it will directly affect the environment around us. The other side will just label it as jealousy, but unchecked greed tends to strip local ecosystems. I wonder if there is a genetic precedence for the first response.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 11:28:50 PM »
I still don't understand exactly how any of this is monetized at all, unless somehow someone like the NSA or CIA has setup some sort of SETI@home site to break iPhone encryption, but even then why not hijack a system to do it, and again, why and how is it worth anything.   :bhead
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2018, 02:51:12 AM »
The value of anything is based on agreements, supply and demand, and rarity. As long as someone is willing to pay "real" money for results of calculations it's worth something. Does it cover the expenses is another thing. Not every gold digger in Klondike came back rich...

A hundred dollar bill isn't more valuable than an IOU for $100 carved on birch-bark just because it's been printed in a note printing press. Both are based on an agreement. On a desert island the piece of bark would be more valuable since it burns better as a kindling.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2018, 06:00:50 AM »
This exists primarily to support money exchanges in illegal operations (bribes, slavery, weapons...).   It allows crime to operate at a wider level than before by making it easier to launder money for everyone.

With the added benefit of increasing in price, like an investment would, due to all the cryptocrazies who see it as a way to make a buck for doing virtually nothing.

The insanity is just getting started.  Cryptocurrencies are popping up everywhere.  Even Steven Seagal has his own cryptocurrency.  People are getting stripped on their life savings over this.  Saturating their credit limits and putting it in into mining only to find out they cannot make enough to cover the interest of the debt, much less pay the principal.

Now we have all manner of apps for mobile devices pretending to be one thing while they are nothing more than mining software.  WEB sites which are using browsers to mine.  Cloud systems being used for mining.  The entire Internet is being overrun by it.

It is going to be difficult to get rid of or even regulate.  Greed.  People see a way to make free money and are not interested in seeing it get regulated.  The scammers are doing well.  They continue to start fake cryptocurrencies and then abscond with the cash people put into it.  Seem to be getting away with it as well.

This is going to be a long storm.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »
Similar to the gold rushes in the past.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2018, 02:32:04 PM »
That's the whole thing.  About 1,000 miners control over 90% of the cryptocrazy market.  These miners have tens of thousands of systems mining for them.  They work together to 'pump and dump' cryptocurrency.  In any other form of investment, what they are doing would be illegal, but almost nothing is illegal with the cryptocrazies.

The scary part is they are trying to get this to be the defacto standard in monetary exchange for the Internet.  What is really driving this is criminals need a transparent way to move money around which is difficult to trace.  That is the one thing which will keep it alive, no matter what.

Heh, the real life "Wolf of Wall Street" Jordan Belfort did an interview recently where he said those 1000 people you're talking about are doing what he did using phones and brokers, only writ large with tech and the internet.  He said if he came along now instead of the 80s/90s he'd be doing precisely what they're doing.  I'll find the article and link it later, pretty interesting to get his perspective on it, him being a past, (and current according to many) commerce criminal.

A friend of mine I took poker courses from long ago,  is well known in the poker and crypto world now (Doug Polk), and has friends that play in China/Hk/Macau in a lot of high stakes games, and he's said that Bitcoin and other crypto currencies are very popular in China as the users of it can more freely move their $ around without the Chinese central gov stopping them.  They can also "get their $" out of China this was easier too.  No wonder such a large % of the 1000 big Bitcoin controllers are from China.

The pump and dump isn't just on their scale, there are TONS of people who organize it on a small scale and strike when micro trends happen due to their criminal BS. 

Video regarding what's happening out there - scary when you consider what the large scale Bitcoiners are capable of - totally at their mercy.  i made some $ myself in Crypto, primarily because I bought some to purchase stuff with back in 2012, and the leftover coins which I had no purpose for just sat on my thumbdrive and increased in value to the point where selling them paid for some PCs and stuff.  I'm out now completely, and would never risk investing ANY of our portfolio in it right now.  IMO it's only a matter of time until the government steps up regulations and restrictions.  Revenue Canada up here has already really stepped on the gas about it, and forcing everyone who has transacted in any way at all, even just exchanging $ for crypto for the purposes of legit purchases, of which there are many, report these transactions on this year's tax filings. 

Similar to the gold rushes in the past.

It truly is, it's the Wild West too, anyone and everyone can created a new "Coin", and it's a complete free for all with all kinds of cowboy like activity re the pump/dumps and every other scam out there.  I still astonishes me that enough people have bought into this, and that so many consider it a legitimate store of value and method of transacting online.  Skuzzy is right, there is a push from those involved to make it the "gold standard" of online tx, but IMO that's where they're going to meet resistance, and then push back from not just the government, but more importantly the world banking establishment and corporations, which are far more capable IMO of doing something about it.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:35:49 PM by Gman »